Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrating from old phone to new phone episodes are not redownloading

Migrating from old phone to new phone episodes are not redownloading

Hello,

I just got my new OnePlus 3 phone to replace my aging OnePlus 1.

I have a lot of feeds and episodes loaded on the OnePlus 1 to I would like to migrate to the new phone. Neither phone has a physical SD card.

I have used the backup and restore feature of Beyondpod to sync all the information on feeds, settings, etc, but none of the episodes that were already downloade to the old phone are being "re"-downloaded to the new phone.

How do a trigger Beyondpod to actually download the episodes?

I assume the problem is that the episodes are marked as already downloaded, but not yet played. That should be why they are showing in all the right playlists, but instead of downloading the episodes it wants to stream them.

I can download the episodes manually one at a time, but this is not tractable for hundreds of episodes.

If this is not currently possible, I guess you can see this post as a feature request

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You also need to copy the BeyondPod folder from your old phone to your new phone.

See the Help page at http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...o-a-new-device

Alternatively, if they're in playlists but streaming, there's an option in the playlist to Download all in Playlist in the three dots menu in a playlist.

Julie

Thanks Julie,
    I managed to do that in the meantime.

I guess it would be nice if there was an option to backup/restore without using your computer by e.g. allowing redownload of all podcasts not yet played.
    Perhaps in a newer version

@Eruantalon I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a better backup and restore solution. I posted a fairly detailed explanation of some of the problems here: http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...UX-sub-optimal, and there has been no response.

Now I'm in a situation where I've got an old device that I can still access and I'm trying to restore on my new device, but even though I'm able to successfully download the backup file on the new phone, I can't actually get BP to acknowledge that it exists, or figure out how to get to the path it seems to expect to find it at. The whole process stinks.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Android keeps changing where it expects apps to keep their data.

From KitKat onwards, anything on a removable SD card had to be in the app's private storage if the app wanted to be able to write to the folder, namely ~/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod
    If your podcasts are on SD card they need to be in ~/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts

From Marshmallow onwards, the goalpost moved again, as Google introduced a unique identifying number into the path for SD cards.

Also on Marshmallow, Google started expecting apps to store their data in a specific folder on internal storage too, similar to the folder for SD cards. Before Marshmallow, BeyondPod would have stored your podcasts in <internal_storage>/BeyondPod. From Marshmallow onwards, if you install BeyondPod before restoring your data, it'll already have created the necessary folder, and will be expecting the data to be in <internal_storage>/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod.

To confuse things even further, different manufacturers have different paths to their internal storage and external SD cards.

If you still have a BeyondPod folder at the root of your internal storage, exit BeyondPod (swipe it away from the recent apps list), use a file manager to move the BeyondPod folder from root to Android/data/mobi.behyondpod, and restart BeyondPod. It should be able to see them then. If your BeyondPod folder is on an SD card, make sure you have the latest version of BeyondPod (4.2.16), and in Settings | General Settings, tap on the Podcast download folder, and "Move" to the alternate location. That will force BeyondPod to find the new version of the path including the unique ID.

Yes, it's a mess, but the automatic backup solution that Google provides doesn't offer anywhere near enough storage to store downloaded episodes, so can only be used for your settings, etc. (the same as the manual Backup/Restore from within BP, which does warn you that it's only saving your settings, not your episodes, and also gives you an option to share the backup elsewhere).

Ongoing backup of episodes to Google Drive (for those users with Google Android accounts - it couldn't be used with the Kindle version) would potentially incur a huge data overhead, both in Google Drive storage, and in Data Transfer.

HTH
    Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 12-09-2016 at 04:00 AM.

I only really care about the settings backup since I can just re-download any episodes on my WiFi at home. I understand Google keeps moving things around, but when BP is telling me it is looking for the backups is /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod but my file manager doesn't have a /storage/emulated/0/Android/data path, but it does have a /sdcard/Android/data (this in spite of the fact that my phone does not actually have an sdcard, nor does it even support one), things get confusing. Fortunately I'm a developer and can figure out how to "debug" the problem by doing a dummy backup of the settings of the freshly installed BP, then looking for that file and to confirm that the path my file manager is showing me is the same thing as the path that BP is looking for, I was finally able to get things restored.

Unfortunately Android is _way_ behind IOS in terms of the UX for switching devices, but BP is one of those programs where I don't think it's unreasonable to not backup the huge episode data, but instead just the settings. It absolutely _should_ be using the Google backup service. Ideally it would work like:

1. Current podcast subscriptions, smart play, playlist and position in each episode and location of episode (e.g. streamed on on phone) backed up to Google
    2. Periodically (e.g. every n-minutes, when BP exits, etc), update the backup with the current state

On restore:

1. Restore settings from Google backup
    2. Offer user option to download all missing, un-listened episodes that were previously stored locally on device
    a. download now
    b. download later, e.g. when on WiFi
    c. perform exhaustive search of all local device storage to see if they've just been moved to a different location

That, to me, would be a nearly perfect situation. Right now needing to mess about with a file manager is something I can manage, even if I hate it, but a non-technical user isn't going to have any idea what to do, especially if they are not familiar with *nix file systems.

Migrating from old phone to new phone episodes are not redownloading

I would suggest to try MusConv.com tool.

I am having an issue here too. Any help would be appreciated. Moved from Nexus 6P to Pixel 3.

I followed the backup/restore directions expecting to just re-download my play list.

However, nothing will download. When I go to play an episode, it says, "streaming is disabled" (which is true, I never want to use my data to stream), "download episode". But, when I tap the download button, nothing happens. When I try to download my playlist, it seemed to do something, but still anythink I try to play gives me that message.

I wonder if my restored settings are somehow pointing to a different folder than where the episodes are actually going?

HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by PilotBob View Post
    I wonder if my restored settings are somehow pointing to a different folder than where the episodes are actually going?

HELP!
    That's certainly a possibility. In settings>General Settings>Podcast Download Folder verify that this is going to a real directory. You could try doing the "move" button if it shows up for you, nothing to lose.

My Pixel 2XL points to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BehondPod/Podcasts for reference

Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    That's certainly a possibility. In settings>General Settings>Podcast Download Folder verify that this is going to a real directory. You could try doing the "move" button if it shows up for you, nothing to lose.

My Pixel 2XL points to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BehondPod/Podcasts for reference
    Thanks. It shows the same for me. I tried the move, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll play with it. May have to resort to reseting up everything manually. Ug.

Also, for some reason now, my auto playlist dropped the 57 items it had down to what is now 7, probably newly downloaded epi's since I switched phones.