Thread: Turn off auto-deletion of episodes when a feed updates

Turn off auto-deletion of episodes when a feed updates

Hello! I have been a registered used for a while and love the app. I recently moved to a new phone and can not seem to recall how I can turn off the "feature" that deletes old episodes of a podcast if a new episode is downloaded.

My use case is this: I am trying to get caught up on a long running podcast. I will download 2 to 3 episodes at a time and add them to my playlist. If I update all of my feeds and a new episode appears on this particular podcast the number of episodes on my playlist will be reduced because the older episodes have been removed from the playlist and deleted as well prompting me to download and re-add the older episodes to my playlist.

Thanks very much for the assistance - I've looked through all of the various settings but can't figure out how to tell BeyondPod to not delete old/unplayed episodes if a new episode becomes available.

I thought that this would be an easy one, but I can't find it, either. "Playlist Settings" shows "episode auto deletion..." in the settings menu, but it isn't on the page itself.

Not even in the Advanced Settings.

Julie?

BeyondPod Team
    For the record Julie is a better choice in every respect but if I understand you correctly you can set this in each feed's properties (edit feed) or holistically via settings >general settings >feed defaults

See here- http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...download-logic

Set 'keep at most' to as many as you wish to keep..

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    I thought that this would be an easy one, but I can't find it, either. "Playlist Settings" shows "episode auto deletion..." in the settings menu, but it isn't on the page itself.

Not even in the Advanced Settings.

Julie?
    Last edited by tim; 12-02-2016 at 03:40 PM.

I think that the OP wanted not the cleanup rules, but rather whether to delete downloaded episodes that have disappeared from the feed. This may be wrong, but I can't find *that* setting anywhere.

It's also possible that the OP wants to download the back episodes of a feed, some number at a time, and listen to all of them (eventually?).

In this case, you should set "download in-order" and some number of episodes to catch up on a feed. This is in the feed settings (bring up a feed, tap menu/edit feed, tap the "edit" pencil for Episode Downloads, pick "Download Episodes In-Order", and enter however many episodes you want to keep on the device.

Setting "in-order" and a count as the default is in Settings, General Settings, Feed Defaults. In-order is one of the choices in Episode Handling, and the default download number is in the next item, Episode Download.

Does that help? Is either of these things what you actually wanted to know? I have all of my feeds except the NPR hourly news set to download in-order, and I suspect it should be the default. But I'm not everyone.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    My reading of the question is that the setting required is in the Feed settings, under Episode Cleanup after expanding the Episode Downloads section. There you can set a maxium age (in days) for episodes, and a maximum number that will be kept when new episodes are downloaded.

I suspect that Download in Order is NOT what's wanted here, as that works the other way around - new episodes will not be downloaded until older episodes have been deleted to make room.

If this is a temporary situation, until you've got caught up with a particular feed, and you want to stop ANY old episodes from being deleted until you do it manually, expand the Advanced Settings section of the feed, and remove the tick from Allow Episode Deletions. That effectively marks every episode in the feed as a Favourite, so it won't be automatically deleted at all.

As a slight aside, any individual episode can be marked as a Favourite, so that it doesn't automatically get deleted by the cleanup rules.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    My reading of the question is that the setting required is in the Feed settings, under Episode Cleanup after expanding the Episode Downloads section. There you can set a maxium age (in days) for episodes, and a maximum number that will be kept when new episodes are downloaded.

I suspect that Download in Order is NOT what's wanted here, as that works the other way around - new episodes will not be downloaded until older episodes have been deleted to make room.

If this is a temporary situation, until you've got caught up with a particular feed, and you want to stop ANY old episodes from being deleted until you do it manually, expand the Advanced Settings section of the feed, and remove the tick from Allow Episode Deletions. That effectively marks every episode in the feed as a Favourite, so it won't be automatically deleted at all.

As a slight aside, any individual episode can be marked as a Favourite, so that it doesn't automatically get deleted by the cleanup rules.

Julie
    Hi Julie - this suggestion (to un-check the Allow Episode Deletions) worked like magic. I'm slowly making my way through the "Star Wars Minute" podcast and they just started releasing new episodes which ended up being slightly painful as BeyondPod kept deleting and removing old but unplayed episodes from my playlist - I'd have to go back and try to remember where I was in the history of the podcast. Thanks for the tip - it's working great!