Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting BeyondPod and voice actions for Google Home

Casting BeyondPod and voice actions for Google Home

Recently got a Google Home. I can use BeyondPod to cast a podcast to GH. I can ask GH to stop/pause/play the media. The problem is that BeyondPod doesn't listen to GH. IOW when I say "Hey Google, Stop", if BeyondPod was playing it will not stop, nor start, nor pause. I thought this was working. When I say "Hey Google, play BeyondPod" it responds "Voice actions are not available for that app". What needs to be done for this to work. Does BeyondPod simply need to implement these voice actions?

BeyondPod Team
    Google Home should respond to the same voice commands as your device responds to using "OK Google". I suspect you need to use "Pause" rather than "Stop". As far as I am aware, Google does the processing first, and then passes the command that it determines is for a particular app on to that app. I don't know why it should think that BeyondPod thinks voice actions aren't available, as they've been working for years on-device.

Here's a useful article on voice commands in general: http://blog.tfnico.com/2015/10/andro...-cyclists.html

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    BeyondPod also supports Android Auto, which uses voice input. The only other thing I can think of is that Android Auto will ONLY work with apps installed from the Play Store. I guess Google Home may be the same, so if you have side-loaded BeyondPod, that could be the issue.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Google Home should respond to the same voice commands as your device responds to using "OK Google". I suspect you need to use "Pause" rather than "Stop". As far as I am aware, Google does the processing first, and then passes the command that it determines is for a particular app on to that app. I don't know why it should think that BeyondPod thinks voice actions aren't available, as they've been working for years on-device.

Here's a useful article on voice commands in general: http://blog.tfnico.com/2015/10/andro...-cyclists.html

Julie
    I agree itg should respond to voice commands. The problem is it doesn't respond to voice commands! Just tried Google Play Music and it works fine. BeyondPod? Doesn't work. I've "Hey Google, Pause/Stop/Play". Play never works. Google Home doesn't know what to play. Saying "... Play BeyondPod" makes it say that voice actions are not available for that app. Neither pause nor stop work. If I say Stop twice the second one stops the playback but it also disconnect the casting (cast icon changes). I can say pause then stop then pause then stop to my heart's content and nothing happens. If I say stop twice in a row it stops and disconnects the cast. If I play BeyondPod and say stop twice it stops and disconnects. If I play and say pause twice it doesn't stop. If I play and say stop then pause twice it disconnects. All of this is reproducible.

Using Google Play Music it works flawlessly so it's clear to me that it's not Google Home messing up - it must be BeyondPod.

I don't believe I've "side loaded" BeyondPod. I know a long time ago I was on the Beta program. I think we side loaded back then. How can I tell if I'm side loaded? How do I change this to be non-side loaded if I am currently side loaded? And finally, can I be installed from the Play Store and still be on the beta program?

BeyondPod Team
    You need to install it from the Play Store, rather than by downloading from the BeyondPod website.

We push beta versions to our own website for side loading for the first wave of testing, and then to the Play Store beta testing group later. You can still be in the (second wave) Beta testing group and download from the Play Store. In the Play Store, if you go to My apps and games on your device, there's a Beta tab that will show you all the apps you're a (Play Store) beta tester for.

You can tell whether you're already a Play Store beta tester by going to https://play.google.com/apps/testing/mobi.beyondpod
    If you're not already a beta tester there, you will get instructions on how to become one. If you are, you'll get instructions on how to leave the Beta Test program.

I don't think there's a way to overwrite a Play Store version over the same version that's been sideloaded without uninstalling and reinstalling, but a newer version in the Play Store beta test will always overwrite any older version, whether it was sideloaded or not. Note that if your podcasts are on SD card, this will result in all of your downloaded podcasts and configuration settings being lost, so it would be wise to remove your SD card from your device first.

There should be a new beta version (4.2.17/18) coming to the Play Store fairly soon, so I'd advise you hang on until that's available, and update from the Play Store then.

Julie

It gives me instructions on how to become a tester. I could have sworn I was already. Should I become a tester? Or should I uninstall and re-install from the Play Store? My podcasts are on the SDCard but I lost the "extractor" to remove the SDCard (Google says that I can use a pin or paperclip, etc. - oddly I don't have those things anymore either though I know I can get one at the office). I've backed up my settings just in case. I then unmounted the SDCard. Then I returned to BeyondPod. My thought was if the podcasts were on the SDCard then BeyondPod shouldn't be able to play them right? Well it continued to play so I don't think that simply umounting the sdcard is sufficient.

You have not answered my question regarding reinstalling BeyondPod.

Meantime I decided to try this on my tablet since I don't use that tablet that much. I uninstalled BeyondPod - even removed all of the BeyondPod podcasts that accumulated filling my storage. Then re-installed BeyondPod. It said I had a previous installation of BeyondPod and did I want to use that. I said yes. Then I tested casting to Google Home. It behaved the same way as it did on my cell phone, not acknowledging Google Home voice commands to control playback. Then I uninstalled again but this time started fresh. Subscribe to any podcast and got it playing on Google Home. "Hey Google, stop" still does not stop and saying it a second time disconnects BeyondPod running on the tablet from Google Home.

What now?

Guess it's not possible.

Just got my Google Home. Would love to be able to 'Hey Google, play BeyondPod' and have it start my SmartPlaylist. I can't quite tell from the above post if this was achieved or not?

When I say it at the moment, it tells me the app doesn't support voice commands, as mentioned earlier.