Thread: Multiple "new-user" questions...

Multiple "new-user" questions...

I did search /browse back through the threads here and in the "General" section - the only related items I spotted were apparently for an older version and the settings referenced don't exist in my fresh, new install.

Device: HTC One M9, Android 6.0.1 Stock, 64Gb Class 10 SD installed
    BP: 4.2.16 Pro (license is installed), configured from fresh install to use SD Card

Help /Request List:

1. In "Car" mode, I cannot find the setting to disable screen-timeout while the app is foreground
      Desired Behavior: When in Car mode, do not allow the screen to timeout if the app is foreground
    2. In "Car" mode, when a Playlist finishes or reaches the end of its episode list, the player exits - dropping back to the Feed /Category list
      Desired Behavior: Keep Car mode player "open" so that I can select another Playlist (BTW, that button needs to be bigger in Car mode to match the other control buttons).
    3. Playlists that are not active reset to default sort order, without being updated (no automation set), if they are not the "current" playlist
      Desired Behavior: When I set a play order within a playlist, keep that order even if the list is not active, so that when /if I select it during my day, I don't have to re-set the play order. Resetting when I manually or automatically refresh the Playlist is acceptable, though it would be more end-user friendly if the refresh added new items to the "bottom" instead
    4. Feeds have to be set to "ALL PUBLISHED" in order for me to see new feeds, which then have to be downloaded one-by-one. I have reviewed the online "Help" documents "My feeds update correctly, but no new episodes are being automatically downloaded" and "Updating feeds and Downloading Episodes", but settings and configuration items referenced in those documents do not exist in the version of BP I have, or exist in different sub-menus that I have not found yet...
      Desired Behavior: When a Category or Feed is refreshed, download newly released items in order of release (many of my podcasts are sequential)
    5. Manually downloaded feed items cannot be added to a specific Playlist - the option available is "Add to Playlist" with no obvious method or secondary prompt to specify which Playlist. Manual items seem to be added to the "Smart List" master versus the Playlist where the feed has membership
      Desired Behavior: When a new playable item is downloaded, automatically or manually, it should add itself to the configured /selected Playlist if such exists, in order of release
    6. When a Playlist is set to auto-delete items once played, the Playlist cannot be selected to refresh or add new items (error displayed is "The Playlist is Empty", bouncing back to the next non-empty Playlist)
      Desired Behavior: Allow the empty playlist to be selected so that it can be refreshed

I am really hoping that all of these are "You missed a setting here you blockhead!" questions, but if not, let me know what further diagnostic info is needed and I will provide.

Thank you.

--
    Ed

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I'm not sure that I fully understand all of your questions, but hopefully I can point you in the right direction. You can also find general help at http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/android-help

In general, feeds and categories in BeyondPod are separate from Playlists (although they can be used to auto-generate playlists in various ways), so I think that may be the source of some of your confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by 00bofh View Post
    1. In "Car" mode, I cannot find the setting to disable screen-timeout while the app is foreground
    Desired Behavior: When in Car mode, do not allow the screen to timeout if the app is foreground
    I would expect that to be governed by your system settings. In my own car, my phone is in a mount and charging. As long as I'm playing something and the device is charging, the screen stays on.

2. In "Car" mode, when a Playlist finishes or reaches the end of its episode list, the player exits - dropping back to the Feed /Category list
    Desired Behavior: Keep Car mode player "open" so that I can select another Playlist (BTW, that button needs to be bigger in Car mode to match the other control buttons).
    Car mode is just a different view of the Player. If you want the Player to be your default view, the setting you need is
    General Settings | Home Screen | Player.
    The Home screen is the one the app shows on a fresh run, and the one it goes back to before exiting when you press the Back button.

3. Playlists that are not active reset to default sort order, without being updated (no automation set), if they are not the "current" playlist
    Desired Behavior: When I set a play order within a playlist, keep that order even if the list is not active, so that when /if I select it during my day, I don't have to re-set the play order. Resetting when I manually or automatically refresh the Playlist is acceptable, though it would be more end-user friendly if the refresh added new items to the "bottom" instead
    I think we have a terminology issue here. Feeds and Categories are not the same thing as Playlists. You can only have one active playlist, and only the active playlist can be manually adjusted. If you switch to another Playlist (e.g. using Automatic Playlist (Playlist Settings | Automatic Playlist - which is enabled by default, I believe) or SmartPlay Lists), any manually created Playlist will be lost.

4. Feeds have to be set to "ALL PUBLISHED" in order for me to see new feeds, which then have to be downloaded one-by-one. I have reviewed the online "Help" documents "My feeds update correctly, but no new episodes are being automatically downloaded" and "Updating feeds and Downloading Episodes", but settings and configuration items referenced in those documents do not exist in the version of BP I have, or exist in different sub-menus that I have not found yet...
    Desired Behavior: When a Category or Feed is refreshed, download newly released items in order of release (many of my podcasts are sequential)
    This is controlled on a per-feed basis in the Episode Downloads section of the feed (edit feed), and the default setting for new feeds is in General Settings | Feed Defaults. To automatically download new episodes when you refresh the feed, you need to set that to be either Download Latest <n> (which does download the most recent podcasts in chronological order, starting with the most recent <n>, and is what most people want), or Download Episodes in Order, which is what you need for things like audio books or courses, when you MUST start with episode 1 and work through every one. In this case, no new episodes will be downloaded until you have deleted older episodes to make room. See Episode Download Logic for more details.

Additional settings for Feed updates to control whether you update feeds when on WiFi only, or on cellular data, whether you download new episodes only on WiFi, or only when charging, etc. can be found in the Feed Update settings.

5. Manually downloaded feed items cannot be added to a specific Playlist - the option available is "Add to Playlist" with no obvious method or secondary prompt to specify which Playlist. Manual items seem to be added to the "Smart List" master versus the Playlist where the feed has membership
    Desired Behavior: When a new playable item is downloaded, automatically or manually, it should add itself to the configured /selected Playlist if such exists, in order of release
    There is only ever one active Playlist, and that's the one you'll add to. Again, I think this is probably a terminology issue with Playlist vs Feeds vs Categories. If you AutoPlay a Category, it will play every episode in that category, in the order you see them listed (i.e. the sort order you have chosen in that view). Ditto for autoplaying the episodes in a feed. If you want more control over what goes into your Playlist, and in what order, I'd encourage you to investigate Smart Play rules.

6. When a Playlist is set to auto-delete items once played, the Playlist cannot be selected to refresh or add new items (error displayed is "The Playlist is Empty", bouncing back to the next non-empty Playlist)
    Desired Behavior: Allow the empty playlist to be selected so that it can be refreshed
    Again, I think you're referring to a Feed, rather than a Play list.

If your feed is not visible when there are no more episodes in it, I suspect you have Allow Hiding of Read or Played ticked in the General Settings. If so, there is a toggle at the top of the left hand feed drawer that allows you to choose New Feeds (i.e. feeds with unplayed episodes in them) or All Feeds. If you always want All Feeds, untick the Allow Hiding setting.

I am really hoping that all of these are "You missed a setting here you blockhead!" questions, but if not, let me know what further diagnostic info is needed and I will provide.
    For safe use in a car, rather than manually picking the next feed or category to play, I would really encourage you to investigate Smart Play list rules (which is most powerful in combination with Feed Categories) that will automatically generate a long playlist for your car journeys, with the aim being to create play lists longer than the total length of any journeys you will make in a day, so that you minimise your interaction with the app down to virtually none whilst driving. The only tweaking I ever do is to occasionally rearrange the order of the episodes on my chosen Smart Play list.

One of the advantages of Smart Play lists is that you can define rules for multiple SmartPlay lists, so that you can pick whichever one is appropriate to your mood or circumstances. For instance, I have a (default) Smart Play list for normal commuting (where I typically put sport and news type podcasts), another for long journeys (where I include dramas and factual podcasts to hold my interest for longer), another for journeys with my partner (which includes our favourite film review podcast and comedy programmes in podcast form). I have created a home screen short cut for each of these, so when I get in the car, all I have to do is tap that shortcut, and never have to worry about what to play next for the rest of the journey / day.

I also have all of my feeds set to update automatically, early in the morning before I wake up. Most feeds have a "Keep at most" setting, so that old, stale episodes are automatically deleted, even if I haven't played them. This, combined with my SmartPlay lists, means that I very rarely even look at my feeds. I know that I will always have episodes to play (far more than I can possibly ever listen to), and I prioritise which episodes actually get played using categories and smartplay lists. The low priority feeds are categorised as such, and are only included at the end of my SmartPlay lists to make sure I never run out of something to play on a journey. For instance, I have roughly a half hour commute each way, but my commuting SmartPlay list is currently 14 hours long. The first 8 episodes of that are things that I haven't heard because I haven't been commuting as much as usual during the holiday period, so I'm a week behind and have 2 episodes from each feed to listen to. But in general, those few feeds combine to give me enough to listen to for a week's commuting. The rest are just there to fill a gap "if I run out of the important stuff", and are from feeds that I find vaguely interesting, but not important, so they are set to keep only the 2 or 3 most recent episodes, regardless of whether I ever play them or not. Since I keep my podcasts on my SD card, and only download episodes over unlimited WiFi, I'm not constrained for storage space or worried about data limits, which means I can afford to keep a load of "just in case" episodes. (Having said that, it's probably about time I had a tidy-up and pruned out some of those that never make it to the top of my playlist!)

Perversely, my "Long Journeys" playlist is currently only 7 hours long, but I usually only make them once a week, and they typically only total 2.5-3 hours in a day, so that's still way more than enough. Again, that SmartPlay list is organised so that I always listen to my highest priority episodes first, progressing to interesting but lower priority episodes further down. And I can always switch to my Commuting Smart Play list if I ever get stuck in a horrible traffic jam and run out of things on the Long Journey list

HTH
    Julie

First off, thank you for the extensive answer and I apologize if I managed to engender any confusion. Replies and further questions in-line below...
    Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    In general, feeds and categories in BeyondPod are separate from Playlists (although they can be used to auto-generate playlists in various ways), so I think that may be the source of some of your confusion.
    Fair enough - though based on the documentation, I believe I have the correct understanding that "Feeds" are those items that are labeled things like "Paul's Security Weekly" and the like, have a URL and point to RSS or other source files in order to download content. Categories are what I add a Feed to, such as "InfoSec" for "Paul's Security Weekly". If I comprehend the way BeyondPod works, a Playlist is either auto-generated when a feed item is selected, or through "SmartPlay" configurations /rules.

I currently have two Categories for "Feeds", from which I have built two "SmartPlay" lists, with a single rule each to import the oldest five (5) episodes in the associated Category.

Those SmartPlay lists are what I am calling "Playlists" since the main Player window titles the list of podcasts in queue as a "Playlist", shows the active Playlist name, with the other Playlist available with a dropdown selector.

Each Feed is configured with "Basic" settings (beyond what the feed source dictates) of:
    • Category
    • Download latest 3 episodes and keep at most 5 episodes

and "Advanced" settings of:
    • Sort Local Episodes By Oldest

All other settings are the defaults from Feed creation.
    I would expect that to be governed by your system settings. In my own car, my phone is in a mount and charging. As long as I'm playing something and the device is charging, the screen stays on.
    I don't plug my phone in while driving unless I'm below about 30% charge (battery life preservation), but other podcast players, along with tools like Google Maps, Osmand, Waze, etc. have a configuration "Setting" to keep the screen on while playing /foreground. I was hoping that BP had a similar setting I was not finding...
    Car mode is just a different view of the Player. If you want the Player to be your default view, the setting you need is
    General Settings | Home Screen | Player.
    The Home screen is the one the app shows on a fresh run, and the one it goes back to before exiting when you press the Back button.
    That is what I have configured in Settings -> General Settings -> 'Home' Screen. The "Player" radio button is selected and that's what I see when I start the app. However, once the active SmartPlay Playlist finishes, BP "drops" to the last selected Feed list (even the usual "shrunken" bar at the bottom is missing) until I either manage to re-open the SmartPlay Playlist selector and start another list, or find an episode that is already downloaded and start play by selecting the episode.
    I think we have a terminology issue here. Feeds and Categories are not the same thing as Playlists. You can only have one active playlist, and only the active playlist can be manually adjusted. If you switch to another Playlist (e.g. using Automatic Playlist (Playlist Settings | Automatic Playlist - which is enabled by default, I believe) or SmartPlay Lists), any manually created Playlist will be lost.
    I just checked and the "Automatic Playlist" setting does not appear to be enabled by default (not something I changed and it is not selected). The "After Playing" action is set to "Play Next" and "When Playlist Ends" is set to "Do Nothing". "Auto Rebuild SmartPlay" for the 'default' SmartPlay is also disabled.
    This is controlled on a per-feed basis in the Episode Downloads section of the feed (edit feed), and the default setting for new feeds is in General Settings | Feed Defaults. To automatically download new episodes when you refresh the feed, you need to set that to be either Download Latest <n> (which does download the most recent podcasts in chronological order, starting with the most recent <n>, and is what most people want), or Download Episodes in Order, which is what you need for things like audio books or courses, when you MUST start with episode 1 and work through every one. In this case, no new episodes will be downloaded until you have deleted older episodes to make room. See Episode Download Logic for more details.

Additional settings for Feed updates to control whether you update feeds when on WiFi only, or on cellular data, whether you download new episodes only on WiFi, or only when charging, etc. can be found in the Feed Update settings.
    As above, I think I have this set up correctly. Feeds are configured to refresh manually (Pull-To-Refresh), Download on WiFi in the master settings. Within Playlist Settings, I do have "Remove Played from Playlist" enabled and it does seem to function to both remove the item from the Playlist and delete the downloaded item.

When I refresh a feed, what I would expect BP to do (presuming I'm on WiFi) is download any new or updated feeds within the 3/5 parameter. Instead, I have to go to each feed, select "ALL PUBLISHED", scroll to what's new, then manually download.

The SmartPlay Playlists remain empty. Selecting one or more podcasts and using the "three-dot" top menu to "Add to Playlist" does not populate the correct SmartPlay Playlist, nor does selecting the "bars and plus-sign" icon.

Going into the "SmartPlays" screen and using the "three-dot" menu to "Update Feeds" also does not populate the SmartPlay Playlist.

To get the podcast to populate into the correct category /SmartPlay Playlist, I have to start playing the podcast (start for 1-2 seconds, then stop) will populate the SmartPlay Playlist as I would have expected the automatic settings to accomplish.

Once that's done, I can then drag podcasts into the order I want to listen to for that session.
    There is only ever one active Playlist, and that's the one you'll add to. Again, I think this is probably a terminology issue with Playlist vs Feeds vs Categories. If you AutoPlay a Category, it will play every episode in that category, in the order you see them listed (i.e. the sort order you have chosen in that view). Ditto for autoplaying the episodes in a feed. If you want more control over what goes into your Playlist, and in what order, I'd encourage you to investigate Smart Play rules.
    Understood - and while I do complicate things a bit by wanting to select my order of play, in general that's how I expect a SmartPlay Playlist that is fed by a Category rule to work...
    If your feed is not visible when there are no more episodes in it, I suspect you have Allow Hiding of Read or Played ticked in the General Settings. If so, there is a toggle at the top of the left hand feed drawer that allows you to choose New Feeds (i.e. feeds with unplayed episodes in them) or All Feeds. If you always want All Feeds, untick the Allow Hiding setting.
    I can see my Feeds just fine (otherwise the manual download wouldn't work), and the "Allow hiding of Read or Played" setting is not ticked.
    For safe use in a car, rather than manually picking the next feed or category to play, I would really encourage you to investigate Smart Play list rules (which is most powerful in combination with Feed Categories) that will automatically generate a long playlist for your car journeys, with the aim being to create play lists longer than the total length of any journeys you will make in a day, so that you minimise your interaction with the app down to virtually none whilst driving. The only tweaking I ever do is to occasionally rearrange the order of the episodes on my chosen Smart Play list.
    Understood - car monkeying with cell phones can be worrisome, but to your point below:
    Perversely, my "Long Journeys" playlist is currently only 7 hours long, but I usually only make them once a week, and they typically only total 2.5-3 hours in a day, so that's still way more than enough. Again, that SmartPlay list is organised so that I always listen to my highest priority episodes first, progressing to interesting but lower priority episodes further down. And I can always switch to my Commuting Smart Play list if I ever get stuck in a horrible traffic jam and run out of things on the Long Journey list
    Precisely what I'm trying to do by having two SmartPlay Playlists and queuing between the two. <grin>
    HTH
    Julie
    It did - though it lead to more questions.

Thank you again!

BeyondPod Team
    Apologies. For some reason, I didn't get a notification of your reply in this thread. I've just seen it because I came to add information about a setting that I omitted from my previous reply, which is that in Player Settings, under Automatic Pause or Resume, right at the bottom, there is a Screen Timeout setting which can be set to
    • Device default
    • Dim (if charging)
    • Bright (if charging)
    • Always Dim
    • Always Bright

It's not directly related to your device being in Car Mode, but Dim/Bright if charging may do what you want if you also charge in the car.

I'm just about to go out, so can't digest and respond to your comprehensive reply right now, but if you could post a short response, hopefully that will generate notification for me this time, so I'm prompted to get back to you when I have a bit more time.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Your reply was awaiting moderator approval, which it now has.

Quote Originally Posted by 00bofh View Post
    I believe I have the correct understanding that "Feeds" are those items that are labeled things like "Paul's Security Weekly" and the like, have a URL and point to RSS or other source files in order to download content. Categories are what I add a Feed to, such as "InfoSec" for "Paul's Security Weekly". If I comprehend the way BeyondPod works, a Playlist is either auto-generated when a feed item is selected, or through "SmartPlay" configurations /rules.

I currently have two Categories for "Feeds", from which I have built two "SmartPlay" lists, with a single rule each to import the oldest five (5) episodes in the associated Category.

Those SmartPlay lists are what I am calling "Playlists" since the main Player window titles the list of podcasts in queue as a "Playlist", shows the active Playlist name, with the other Playlist available with a dropdown selector.
    OK - more-or-less.

A Feed is the source for your podcasts. Usually it's an RSS feed maintained by the Podcast's publisher, but you can also create Virtual feeds of files in folders stored locally on your device.
    Categories are a way of grouping feeds together.
    It's generally useful to explicitly say SmartPlay lists/rules, if that's what you mean, to avoid confusion. "Import" in this context is a slightly misleading term. More accurately, SmartPlay rules add episodes to a playlist, rather than importing them.

I don't plug my phone in while driving unless I'm below about 30% charge (battery life preservation), but other podcast players, along with tools like Google Maps, Osmand, Waze, etc. have a configuration "Setting" to keep the screen on while playing /foreground. I was hoping that BP had a similar setting I was not finding...
    No, sorry, it doesn't (apart from the ones I've mentioned in my previous reply).

That is what I have configured in Settings -> General Settings -> 'Home' Screen. The "Player" radio button is selected and that's what I see when I start the app. However, once the active SmartPlay Playlist finishes, BP "drops" to the last selected Feed list (even the usual "shrunken" bar at the bottom is missing) until I either manage to re-open the SmartPlay Playlist selector and start another list, or find an episode that is already downloaded and start play by selecting the episode.

I just checked and the "Automatic Playlist" setting does not appear to be enabled by default (not something I changed and it is not selected). The "After Playing" action is set to "Play Next" and "When Playlist Ends" is set to "Do Nothing". "Auto Rebuild SmartPlay" for the 'default' SmartPlay is also disabled.
    To continue playback automatically, you'll need to change the Do Nothing or Auto Rebuild SmartPlay settings.

To manually choose a new SmartPlay list, pull out the right hand drawer, i.e. drag left from anywhere near the right hand side of the screen, and choose what you want from the drop down. (NB: This drawer wasn't open in the Player view either, so "keeping" it open as per your original point 2 doesn't apply.)

However, don't forget that a SmartPlay list can have multiple rules, so I'd suggest that a better approach would be to create some smarter SmartPlay rules instead, which generate longer playlists so that neither of these is necessary.

My Long Journeys SmartPlay list has 14 rules in it:
    1. Play oldest 5 from Category A
    2. Play oldest 1 from Feed 1 (a quick tips feeds)
    3. Play oldest 20 from Category B
    4. Play oldest 4 from Feed 2
    5. Play oldest 1 from Feed 1 (again*)
    6. Play oldest 2 from Feed 3
    7. Play oldest 1 from Feed 4
    8. Play oldest 1 from Feed 5
    9. Play oldest 1 from Category C
    10. Play oldest 1 from Category D
    11. Play oldest 1 from Feed 6 (which is in category D*)
    12. Play oldest 1 from Feed 7
    13. Play oldest 2 from Category E
    14. Play oldest 1 from Feed 7 (again*)

I rarely get past rule 7 on a two and a half hour round trip.

*A smartplay list is smart enough to add the next qualifying episodes if you repeat a rule.

If you don't tend to keep much of a backlog of podcasts on your device, a good rule to end with would be "then play oldest/latest/random 50 episodes from Category All Feeds", which will ensure that BP will keep playing until there's nothing left to play (especially if used in conjunction with Auto Rebuild SmartPlay ... just in case you do actually have more than 50 unplayed episodes).

When I refresh a feed, what I would expect BP to do (presuming I'm on WiFi) is download any new or updated feeds within the 3/5 parameter. Instead, I have to go to each feed, select "ALL PUBLISHED", scroll to what's new, then manually download.
    I'm not sure what's happening there, as that's exactly how it does work. Provided you're using the Pro version (i.e. you have the licence app installed), then selecting What to Play or All Feeds or a particular feed from the left drawer and pulling down should update those feeds (What to Play will refresh all feeds), and download any new episodes according to your download rules.

If it doesn't, that would suggest that there aren't any more NEW episodes for that feed since you last did an update. BP will always work forward from your last update. It won't go back and automatically download older episodes than ones you've already fetched, unless you do it manually.

The SmartPlay Playlists remain empty. Selecting one or more podcasts and using the "three-dot" top menu to "Add to Playlist" does not populate the correct SmartPlay Playlist, nor does selecting the "bars and plus-sign" icon.
    Your default SmartPlay list (the one with the heart symbol next to it) will update automatically when you update your feeds. Other SmartPlay lists update when you select them.

Going into the "SmartPlays" screen and using the "three-dot" menu to "Update Feeds" also does not populate the SmartPlay Playlist.
    I would only expect the default SmartPlay list to be updated when you download new episodes. Others will be updated when you select them. However, apart from the default SmartPlay list which will become the new current Playlist (if you weren't playing some other playlist at the time of the update), the only way to tell whether they've been updated IS to select them.

I suspect that in both these cases, the issue is that you haven't downloaded any new episodes that would be picked up by the SmartPlay list's rules. If not, I'll need more information.

To get the podcast to populate into the correct category /SmartPlay Playlist, I have to start playing the podcast (start for 1-2 seconds, then stop) will populate the SmartPlay Playlist as I would have expected the automatic settings to accomplish.
    That's convoluted. Just select the SmartPlay list you want to play from the SmartPlay drop down in the right hand drawer.
    That will
    a) populate the SmartPlay list according to its rules*, and
    b) start playing it (unless you've unticked Auto Play SmartPlays in BP's Advanced Settings)

*Note that if there are no new episodes in any of the feeds or categories referenced in the rules for that SmartPlay list, no episodes will be played.

Once that's done, I can then drag podcasts into the order I want to listen to for that session.
    So you're not using your SmartPlay rules to put them in the order you want in the first place? I tend to categorise mine by the order in which I want to listen to them. I don't use these names, but you could have Categories "P1", "P2", "P3", etc.,
    Feed A is in Category P1
    Feed B is in Category P3
    Feed C is in Category P2
    Feed D is in Category P1
    Feed E is in Category P2
    Feed F is in Category P1

and have a single SmartPlay list with rules
    Play oldest 50 from Category P1
    then
    Play oldest 50 from Category P2
    then
    Play oldest 50 from Category P3

That will then play "all" (since you're only keeping the most recent 5, I'm assuming you have less that 50 unplayed episodes in each category) of the episodes in Feeds A, D and F in chronological order, then all episodes of Feeds C and E in chronological order, and finally the episodes in Feed B in chronological order. If those are all the feeds you have, then you will have no more episodes left to play at the end of this SmartPlay list, so switching to another SmartPlay list won't do anything anyway.

As you can get the next qualifying episode if you repeat a rule, you can keep coming back to a particular feed or category in any order you like, and/or create a final catch all rule to play 50 episodes from Category All Feeds, to mop up anything you might have missed.

Julie