Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frequent Playback Errors

Question Frequent Playback Errors

Phone: Nexus 5X
    Android 7.1.1
    Current stable BeyondPod

I've been using BeyondPod for years and love it overall. Recently, I've been having a major problem though. Frequently, I'll go to play a podcast, and it will act like it is trying to stream it and then say Playback Error! and stop. When it does this, it also displays an absurdly incorrect length for the episode, usually in the thousands of minutes. When this happens, the only way I can get playback to start working again is to restart my phone. Switching episodes doesn't help anything, it just does the same thing. I have BeyondPod set to never stream episodes, all episodes are downloaded and available locally which makes me wonder why it even looks like it's trying to stream the episode. This is incredibly frustrating as I now have to restart my phone multiple times a day just so I can listen to podcasts in my car. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh, I should note... I've backed up my settings, wipe BeyondPod's storage and restored it already... didn't help. Also went so far as to back up, delete all local data (including episodes) and restored, then redownloaded all podcast episodes. Still no difference.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    There's a know problem with any sort of "adjusted" playback in Nougat, which affects other podcast apps, not just BeyondPod.
    Do you have speed adjustment enabled in the settings (even if you're playing at x1 speed)? If so, try disabling it.

Julie

No, I do not. I found that thread and disabled speed adjustment entirely in the settings (I never used it even though it was technically enabled) and the problem persisted.

I actually haven't had this problem happen in the last couple of days... it's a very tricky issue as I haven't found a good way to reproduce it reliably, but it seems like it happens when playback starts right as my wifi connection drops out, for instance when I get in my car and bluetooth connects causing playback to start but my phone reaches the edge of the range of my wifi network at the same time. It almost seems like it's trying to stream the episode even though the episode is downloaded to my phone and the stream fails, but that's just conjecture on my part.

BeyondPod Team
    One suggestion I can offer to reduce the pain when it happens is to close BeyondPod by swiping it away in the recent apps list. That will hopefully prevent you from having to restart your phone. It usually works for me when one of my other BlueTooth devices plays up, and Android has lost track of whether it's connected or not.
    To get to the bottom of why it's happening, let's see if it's any better when 4.2.18 is released (it's currently available as a beta from our website, and should be released to the Play Store beta channel shortly), and if so, we'll need to capture an Android log of it happening to try to determine the cause.

I'm not seeing this myself, and my use pattern is very similar to yours (i.e. get in the car and start playing before getting out of WiFi range, with exclusively downloaded episodes), but my phone is on Marshmallow. I'm contemplating changing devices in the not-too-distant future, and if so, the one I have in mind will have Nougat (albeit 7.0), so we'll see if seems to be a widespread issue with the Nougat player, and whether there's anything BP can do to work around it.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    One suggestion I can offer to reduce the pain when it happens is to close BeyondPod by swiping it away in the recent apps list.
    That's one of the first things I tried, sadly to no avail. I even went into the Applications menu and force closed it, but it made no difference. Literally the only way I could get playback to start again when it did this was to restart my phone.

I actually haven't had this happen for a few days now... since shortly after I posted this thread, come to think of it. Maybe BeyondPod, Android and/or my phone has become sentient and is now screwing with me?

I also ran into this problem more than a week ago. I'm also on a Nexus 5X running Android 7.1.1, BeyondPod version 4.2.16.
    The symptoms are exactly the same and additionally BeyondPod is quite sluggish now. It seems like only specific episodes are affected but I couldn't find a way to avoid these problems, unfortunately.

Sören

Had this happen again a few times this weekend... is there any idea when the new version is going to go from beta -> stable?

BeyondPod Team
    The beta version has introduced an issue with the screen on settings, so that will need to be fixed first.

Is there any update on when the next version will be released? The last update was almost a year ago... BeyondPod's performance is atrocious under recent versions of Android for whatever reason and it's really frustrating.