Thread: I wish the folder structure was better

I wish the folder structure was better

I like to use Android dedicated media folders, so when I choose /storage/emulated/0/Podcasts to download episodes to, that is where I expect to find the episodes. Sure subfolders for each feed is cool, but shouldn't create two extra layers of subfolders before it. When I choose to save on my sd card in Podcasts, I end up with /storage/emulated/0/Podcasts/Beyondpod/Podcasts/ and then the feeds subfolders. Also I don't think that everything else should move with it (logs, RSScache, backups, etc.). I know this may come across as OCD and nitpicking, but it's a very messy way to organize things.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    When BeyondPod was created, it was "neater" than many other apps which created files in a very cavalier fashion at the root of your device's storage, i.e. it always kept all of its files within a single folder, so that they could easily be removed if a user no longer wanted to use the app, and also so that all the files connected with the app could easily be found.

BeyondPod relies on this folder structure to work. It was never really intended that the BeyondPod folder would be anywhere else but at the root of the storage or SD card (whichever you're using), but you do have the option to move it lock stock and barrel to another place. Then, in Android KitKat, Google started forcing apps to use private storage under ~/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files if they wanted to be able to write to an SD card, and as of Marshmallow, it defaults to a similar path on internal storage. The fact that everything is together under a single BeyondPod folder means that being able to support these changes as Google changes its mind about where devs should store things on Android is much less work than it would be if it stored different types of files in different places. On if you're using an SD card, it simply can't do that anyway.

I appreciate that in your specific case, not having the additional /BeyondPod/Podcasts folders would be neater, but separating out the non-podcast files and changing the folder structure for the podcasts would involve a lot of work and testing, and no doubt the introduction of bugs related to things not being where BeyondPod expects them to be, for very little benefit. It would also mean that BeyondPod would have to handle podcasts on internal storage differently from podcasts on removable storage, adding yet more complexity.

Julie

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for thorough explanation.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You're welcome.

Julie