Thread: Remove play-next button on lock screen or delay episode deletion

Exclamation Remove play-next button on lock screen or delay episode deletion

I frequently skip an episode I'm engrossed in by accidentally brushing my screen when my phone is locked. I touch the "play-next" button and I lose that episode.

I have two possible solutions:
    1. Allow users to remove or disable the play-next button on the lock screen.
    2. When playing the next episode, delay deleting the current episode for a minute or two and let me go back to it if I need to.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Both solutions are possible. You can disable media controls on your lock screen in one of two ways:

1. disable the Headset buttons in BeyondPod (assuming you don't need them for use with a headset), which will also disable them on the lockscreen (as per the linked help page)
    2. disable Notifications on your Lock Screen altogether in your device's system settings (personally, I have all Notifications disabled on the lock screen, as I don't want other people to see my personal notifications when my screen is locked - that seems to me to defeat the privacy that locking your screen provides). Devices may vary, but on my Sony Xperia phone, that setting is under Sound & Notification.

Alternatively, you can change After Playing in the Playlist Settings to be Play Next, instead of Delete and Play Next, and in the Advanced Settings, tick the option in the Feed Update Settings section to Automatically Delete Played Episodes. This delays the deletion until you next do a feed update.

HTH
    Julie

I came here looking for an answer to this exact issue, so thank you for this workaround. Is there any possibility at all that in some future release the 'Skip and Play Next' button on the notification could be moved away from the edge, or at least be optional or something? If you don't use this button (and I know people probably do and love it), it's location is the most infuriating thing about using BeyondPod (for me anyway ). With phone screens getting closer and closer to the edge, and the Samsung screens going over it, I regularly accidentally swipe this button, sometimes just by grabbing my phone along the edge, which then requires unlocking my phone, re-queuing the episode, finding my spot, etc. If it could at least be moved further in, away from the edge, that would still keep it for those who use it but prevent it from being accidentally hit simply by holding your phone. Thanks.

You may want to consider turning off the auto-delete played episodes. I did this so I could use my skip controls in my vehicle and go back and listen to episodes without re-downloading them (but it also helps when I accidentally skip an episode like you are discussing).

The downside is you now periodically need to manually execute the "delete played" command which will give you a popup of all the episodes about to be deleted for confirmation. This lets you make sure you didn't miss listening to something important by aborting the deletion and clearing the played flag before attempting to delete again. It would be nice if the delete confirmation dialog list had checkboxes to let you opt out of deleting specific ones in the list and/or making each episode clickable to take you to that episode and/or a context menu to allow user to easily mark it un-played from within the delete dialog, etc.

It's not an ideal solution, but it might be something for you to consider.

--James

Personally, I've been mostly happy with the current behavior of "Automatically Delete Played Episodes" (in the Advanced settings) combined with not automatically deleting any other time. So the After Playing setting is just "Play next", not "Delete and play next". Anything I listen to gets marked as played, and gets deleted on the next update, but nothing gets deleted until then, and if I accidentally skip forward, I can still skip back. The only problem I have with it is that after a Skip to End, I can't get back to my previous position. I wish that going back to the previous episode restored the position in spite of Skip to End. That would be perfect. But as it is, it's not bad overall.

This is a workaround but not really ideal. In all other senses, I like the episode being deleted when it is played. The only issue is the placement and functionality of the play next button. I really think this is going to be an issue for more and more devices as they move towards being almost entirely bezel-less. On a Galaxy, it's almost impossible to hold the phone and not touch it, in my experience anyway. But that aside, I must be doing something wrong. Is the setting under Settings>Playlist Settings>After Playing? And this should be set to 'Play next'? This is the setting I have, but my episodes are still deleting when completed, or when the 'Play next' button on the notification widget is tapped. Is there some other setting I need to change?

EDIT: Sorry, just further to this, I notice now that it is not deleting the download of the episode, it is just removing it from the playlist. I assumed this setting would prevent it from being deleted from the playlist. If that's what 'Play Next' does, it's not really a workaround. The downloading aspect is the smallest part of the problem because you can usually start a stream immediately anyway. The problem is you have to scroll back through your episodes again, find it and queue it up, take it to the top of the playlist again, and then scan through the episode, back to the spot you left off (which usually is unknown because you won't have been checking the time indicator for playback - you've just suddenly deleted it mid-stream so usually you have scan minute by minute and listen until you find something you haven't heard). It's very labour intensive, all because of a misplaced button than is accidentally tapped.
    Last edited by jay-mann; 05-22-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Do you have "Playlist Settings / Remove Played from Playlist" checked? It sounds to me like that's on, and you want it off. (So many settings!)

Thanks, that does work now. And so then, having Settings>Advanced Settings>Automatically Delete Played Episodes will clean out the played ones each time the feeds update? It's an ok workaround, thanks for your help. The downside though, and what makes it still not quite ideal, is that when you then go back to the episode (as you'd need to if you had accidentally tapped the button), it doesn't resume from where you left off. It's highly unlikely, when your phone is in a pocket or bag or whatever, that you will know where the previous episode was up to when it was skipped, and so once you start again, you have to scan through to find your spot. But I assume if it did resume, it wouldn't then be marked as played and so wouldn't delete when the feed update occurs? So I guess that's the compromise. Overall I think the problem though is still one that could be addressed in an update sometime. The placement of the button makes it way too easy to accidentally hit, and it is such a sledgehammer, finite outcome. As the original poster suggested, it would be better if the user could either disable or remove it or configure it to finesse its operation a bit (for example, have the option to make it work as a simple 'Skip' rather than play next and mark previous as played). Or, at the very least, could teh button just be moved away from the edge of the notification?