Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scheduled update not triggering

Question Scheduled update not triggering

Hi,

I have used BeyondPod for several years and it has worked fine. However now since two weeks or so the nightly update and download of episodes is not happening anymore. I can manually trigger it and then it works fine. And in the settings "Update on Schedule" is enabled, I have not changed the settings.

Any idea what is wrong ?

Btw if I go to "View Update Log" it only shows my last manual update from yesterday, not the one that should have triggered during the night.

BeyondPod Team
    Where you find the schedule for All Feeds is a bit weird:

Pull out the left hand drawer
    Long press All Feeds
    Tap on Set Update Schedule

What do you see?

Julie

All seem normal there, set to update 03:15 daily.

But actually this night it did update. So not sure what was going on the previous days. I'll keep my eyes open and see if it happens again.

Sorry this isnt directly related to this question but is along similar lines. If you have ticked only update when on power and your update time is 03:15 - if your phone wasnt on power at that point but it went on power at 05:00 - would the update run later or if it fails at 03:15 then is the next attempt following day?

Quote Originally Posted by Joppe View Post
    All seem normal there, set to update 03:15 daily.

But actually this night it did update. So not sure what was going on the previous days. I'll keep my eyes open and see if it happens again.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by nickthorley View Post
    Sorry this isnt directly related to this question but is along similar lines. If you have ticked only update when on power and your update time is 03:15 - if your phone wasnt on power at that point but it went on power at 05:00 - would the update run later or if it fails at 03:15 then is the next attempt following day?
    I would expect that the update would run, detect that it wasn't on power, and schedule the next run for 3:15 the following day.

Julie

Thanks, I thought that maybe the answer and is probably correct but I wondered if there is the option / would it be difficult to have the option to run it in the time following 3:15 ie if it doesnt go on power until 5AM then it would run at that point due to a missed schedule. I used to leave my phone on charge all night but with fast charging, I now just put it on an hour before i need to leave and that time constantly varies so I was struggling to get a sync time to run regularly. In the end I have resolved it with tasker which will call update feeds based on the conditions i set ie being on power and only running once a day but it would be nice if the app did that for you.

Maybe I am just an awkward edge case

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    I would expect that the update would run, detect that it wasn't on power, and schedule the next run for 3:15 the following day.

Julie

I just registered on this forum as well to explore this issue, I am in the same boat where I have been using BeyondPod for years but in the past month or so auto-update has not been triggering.

It is set to update on schedule at 6:30AM and to repeat every 1 day.

Here is what I have checked in Feed Update Settings:
    Use Mobile Data
    Toggle WiFi on Update
    Enable Pull-To-Refresh

Unchecked:
    Download on WiFi Only
    Download if Charging Only
    Hide Notification Icon

For instance, today the feed update settings stated it had not been updated for the past 3 days, I had to manually update and there were available podcasts to download.

I do not have my feeds categorized and all my feeds are set to update at 6:30AM.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling beyondpod, restoring backups as well as setting it up from the beginning but it does not seem to want to auto update anymore.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7...any idea on how I can fix this as it is quite an annoyance.

Just checking, but check in your apps list for "BeyondpPod Unlock Key". That's the paid thing that enables BP's paid features.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    Just checking, but check in your apps list for "BeyondpPod Unlock Key". That's the paid thing that enables BP's paid features.
    Yeah, Play Store shows the key installed and the "About BeyondPod" shows v 4.2.16 and License Type: Android Market.

BeyondPod Team
    The only other thing I can think of is that if you're on Nougat (Android 7.x) or later, Android's battery saving Doze settings may be coming into play here.
    I don't have the issue because my phone is on a charging dock overnight, when my updates are scheduled, but if you're not charging at the time your update is scheduled, Android may prevent it from running to save your battery.

The setting may have different names, depending on your manufacturer, but basically you need to whitelist BeyondPod as an app that is allowed to run in doze mode / is not included in battery optimisation (or whatever terminology your device uses).

To test this, you could leave your phone charging during the period when the scheduled update is due.
    NB: In this case, this is NOT BeyondPod's "only when charging" setting that's affecting things; it's Android's built-in battery optimisation features stopping BeyondPod from even trying.

Julie