Thread: Issues with playing items from playlists.

Issues with playing items from playlists.

Ever since upgrading to 3.0.14, I've had issues with my playlist that I haven't had in almost a year since I first started using Beyondpod. Maybe the way playlists work has changed and so I need to retool my settings, but if that's the case, shouldn't there have been some kind of note or indication from the developer about why this happened, how to reconfigure, etc.?

My setup basically categorizes a bunch of podcasts based on how often they come out (and thus how often I check for updates). They are all configured to order by duration ascending, and I've always seen them all build up in my main playlist and they will play one by one and go to the next. However, with the new version, it seems that sometimes while they show up in this list, they are not always marked with the playlist item. But sometimes they are and I can't figure out why they do when they do and don't when they don't. In addition, it seems that the playlist playing doesn't always follow the order of this list as it is viawable. Sometimes it skips episodes even when they are marked as being part of the playlist. Finally, sometimes after one podcast will play, it will not move onto the next item in the playlist, but just stop. If I click on that same podcast it will only then disappear (I have it set to delete after playing). Then I have to start the next one manually.

In other words it seems that either something is broken, or the way the playlist settings work have changed and I need to know how to get them back to the way they used to work, as this makes the app not quite as usable as it was before. Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Thanks!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Are you using Presto? That can sometimes interfere with the end-of-podcast handling (even at 1x speed).

How are you generating your Playlist? Are you using a Smartlist, or adding episodes to the Playlist manually? If the latter, there have been some changes in the way this works (but I can't remember the details).

Julie

Hi July, no I've not to my knowledge used smartlist, at least not intentionally. Really I kind of ignored the playlist and just concentrated on adding my podcasts as categories, so I guess manually? I am using Presto as well to listen to podcasts at 1.85x, but that's never caused problems before... I guess I'll dig deeper into playlist settings. I guess you don't have a reference to something explaining how that may have changed?

Levi

BeyondPod Team
    Levi,

The playlist logic is exactly the same as before. I am not sure if this is the cause of the problems you describe, but in the latest version we changed the default behavior of what happens when you tap on the episode - before it used to add this episode and all episodes after it to the playlist - now it adds just the selected episode to the playlist (as the last episode). If you want to switch it back to the "old" behavior, you can do that by going to Menu > More > Settings > Playlist and Widget Settings and check "Automatic Playlist".