Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze when plugged into power - 4.2.18 beta

Freeze when plugged into power - 4.2.18 beta

I received the beta update to version 4.2.18 today. Since getting the update, Beyondpod's interface freezes when I plug my phone onto power. Currently playing downloaded content will continued to play, but without screen updates nor any ability to control it. When a playing file ends, the next item in a Playlist does not play. Unplugging power does not fix this - I have to force stop the app to try again. Starting Beyondpod while plugged in causes the interface to freeze before it even finishing displaying a complete list of episodes.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I almost always use BeyondPod when my phone is charging, and haven't had any issues.

Could you please start by rebooting your device.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    I almost always use BeyondPod when my phone is charging, and haven't had any issues.

Could you please start by rebooting your device.

Julie
    I did try a reboot of the device and it still happens after I plug in power. This started today after updating to 4.2.18. I've been a BeyondPod user for years without any such issue - it clearly started after the update. I've had to revert to a non-Beta issue at this point so I can use my phone and BeyondPod - I mostly use it in the car when I'm charging all the time.

How did you do the revert?

Quote Originally Posted by Zugschlus View Post
    How did you do the revert?
    Badly. I forgot that when you uninstall the app, all subscriptions and content get deleted. I had backups and am in the process of putting it all back now (I have LOTS of unheard content).

The process itself is easy. You need to remove yourself from the beta. I'm on my PC now, but I believe you can use this link from your beta subscribed phone to do it: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/mobi.beyondpod

Then I uninstalled the beta, and installed the latest production release within the Google Play store. There is a delay of unknown length until the removing from the beta is completed, but for me it took only a few minutes before the Play store reflected that.

So beware. Do a BeyondPod backup before uninstalling and copy the backup file to a non-beyondpod managed location. Then also copy your entire BeyondPod data directory or any already downloaded content will be lost.

Perhaps there is already a better more complete set of steps for how to do this that a more experience community member could provide.

I'm curious, are you asking because you also had a problem with release 4.2.18?

BeyondPod Team
    You would need to treat it the same way as moving to a new device. Android will probably force you to uninstall BP, rather than let you install an older version over a newer one, and if you have your podcasts on an external SD card, Android will delete the entire folder when it uninstalls the app.

It would have been useful to get an Android log of it freezing though, so that we can investigate and fix.

Julie

Julie, I'm more than willing to reinstall 4.2.18 this evening and capture whatever can help. Or do you just need a log of my device info even without 4.2.18 on it? I can do that anytime of course. I also believe (I'm not exactly sure) that I sent in a non-responsive app report as prompted by Android when this happened. Do those go to Google or the application developer? If the later, I can help you find mine with whatever info you'd need about my device to identify it. To start with, I would have sent in that report around 3pm California time yesterday (Jan 16).

-David
    Last edited by netreamer; 01-17-2017 at 10:21 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    Thank you, that's helpful.

I guess what would be most useful would be an Android log on your device with 4.2.16 of something that caused the problem on 4.2.18 (with a note in the email to say that it's a log related to this thread, but that this is a log showing it working as expected for comparison), and then reinstall 4.2.18, and do exactly the same thing again. You'll then presumably have to Force Close the app, and immediately get another log (and I'm hoping that Force Closing won't lose the log data). Note that rebooting the device will definitely lose all information in the Android log.

You mentioned at least two different scenarios where you had problems, so a methodical approach to logging each (showing each scenario working on 4.2.16 and failing on 4.2.18) would be really useful. Actually, since we're going to be capturing a LOT of log files, it's really important to be clear in the email text exactly what you were doing when each log was captured (including whether you had to Force Close the app), and what you actually saw. Planning out what you're going to do in advance and keeping notes is going to be key here. NB: The emails will go to a colleague, not me, and will then be passed on to the devs, so documenting what each log is showing is especially important, so that information doesn't get lost in translation. Looking at a log without knowing what you're looking for is a soul-destroying and ultimately pointless exercise.

Actually, in this case, it might also be useful to capture/send the BeyondPod logs as well as the Android logs in all cases too. There is less detail in those, but they are persistent (in the sense that it's a file that BeyondPod has control of, rather than being a request to see BeyondPod's entries in the system log file), so if force closing the app prevents us capturing anything useful from the Android log, or loses a bit of it, at least we'll have something to go on.

I would also be interested to know whether disconnecting the power has any effect. (If it does, there may be a bit of a delay while everything works out that something has changed, while BP is in its "confused" state.)

Before you go to all that trouble though, I haven't seen any other reports of this issue (and as I said, I'm not getting it myself, despite an apparently similar use pattern), so perhaps it would be a good idea to get some data about your setup to see whether that gives us any clues, or may at least suggest potential workarounds for you while we troubleshoot.

• What device are you using?
    • What version of Android?
    • Is your device rooted?
    • How much RAM does your device have?
    • Are your podcasts on internal storage or external SD card (if you have one)?
    • Do you plug into power before starting BeyondPod, or once it's already running/playing?
    • Are you playing downloaded episodes, or streaming?
    • Are the podcasts you're playing video, audio, or video-played-as-audio?
    • Do you have speed adjustment enabled in the settings (even if you only ever play at x1 speed)?
    • Does 4.2.18 definitely work as expected for you if you DON'T connect it to the power?
    • Do you have any apps installed that respond to power being connected / disconnected?
    • Which of the options do you have ticked under Player Settings | Automatic Pause or Resume (including the Screen Timeout setting)?
    • What other apps are running at the time? (e.g. Navigation, Location reporting of any kind, etc)?
    • Was your battery low when you connected to the power, and does your device have any particular battery saving features that might have been being "switched off" because you were connecting to power?
    • Anything else you can think of that might be relevant?

As to the non-responsive app reports, they do go to the developer, but they're not something I personally have access to, and past experience when I've sent reports myself suggest that Google doesn't make it particularly easy to find a specific one, or what information they'd need to find yours. Including a hashtag in the text that we could search for might help.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Tracking in #137851795

[Please look ahead a few posts - I eventually found the specific BeyondPod setting that affects this freeze behavior.]

Julie, sounds like answering your questions is a better first step, so here goes.

• What device are you using?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

• What version of Android?
    5.0.1 – just delivered by AT&T a few days ago

• Is your device rooted?
    No

• How much RAM does your device have?
    Internal: 16GB
    MicroSD: 64GB

• Are your podcasts on internal storage or external SD card (if you have one)?
    External SD card
    I have lots of downloaded content – around 40GB

• Do you plug into power before starting BeyondPod, or once it's already running/playing?
    I do and tried both with 4.2.18. If I was plugged in when loading BeyondPod, it would fail to finish loading. I don’t recall now exactly if I got even a complete feeds/episode list – I think I didn’t. I certainly wasn’t able to play anything. My usual use case which I first encountered was adding power while downloaded content was already playing. As documented before, the behavior was that the downloaded content continued to play, but the interface froze. I could do nothing with the BeyondPod interface including not being able to control the playback (such as pausing). Then the file finished, the next item on the playlist did not play.

• Are you playing downloaded episodes, or streaming?
    Downloaded for almost everything and certainly was playing downloaded content when I saw the issue.

• Are the podcasts you're playing video, audio, or video-played-as-audio?
    Audio only – there are video items in my last catalogue, but that was not something I was playing when this happened.

• Do you have speed adjustment enabled in the settings (even if you only ever play at x1 speed)?
    Yes. I listen to most content at 1.3x and am configured for that by default. A few subscriptions are set to be played at 1.0x – mostly my more music oriented subscriptions.

• Does 4.2.18 definitely work as expected for you if you DON'T connect it to the power?
    I didn’t use it for long without plugging in power, but noticed nothing abnormal until I plugged in.

• Do you have any apps installed that respond to power being connected / disconnected?
    I do, but I’m not sure I can give a complete list. I have over 200 apps installed (I know, crazy), but of note is AutomateIt Pro (I have a script that adjusts screen brightness on power plug-in). I also use GSAM battery monitor that is very away of power state.

• Which of the options do you have ticked under Player Settings | Automatic Pause or Resume (including the Screen Timeout setting)?
    I’m reading this from my current 4.2.16 configuration:
    Pause on Headset Disconnect: yes
    Pause on Power disconnect: no
    Pause video on screen off: yes
    Pause on Notification: yes
    Resume after call: grayed out, but set to yes
    Replay on Resume: Do not Replay
    Screen Timeout: Dim (if charging)

I can also add, I do get an audio notification on plugging in power, but since I also have a problem with starting up BeyondPod while power plugged-in, I don’t know if that even matters.

• What other apps are running at the time? (e.g. Navigation, Location reporting of any kind, etc)?
    I’d have to test again to get you a good answer for this. In particular when I was updated to 4.2.18 and within an hour or so plugged in and saw the new issues I was not really running anything else except whatever was left in the background from having been run since my last restart. I do use Waze and many other apps regularly, but when this happened, BeyondPod was being displayed on the screen as the “active” app. It’s sort of a hard question to answer because I know nothing every really closes, so I’m not sure what you are looking for. When I use an Android/Samsung feature to see loaded apps, there are usually dozens of them in the list. I use my phone LOTS and switch between many apps all day long. For a future test of 4.2.18 I’m happy to ensure no other apps are loaded except those that do something automatically upon start up.

• Was your battery low when you connected to the power, and does your device have any particular battery saving features that might have been being "switched off" because you were connecting to power?
    I don’t recall if the battery was particularly low, but I don’t recall that it was. I do use GSAM battery monitor that might care when the power is plugged-in, but it’s never been an issue in the past nor with any other apps. I realize you are looking for something new and maybe a new issue, so what worked before doesn’t matter as much really.

• Anything else you can think of that might be relevant?
    When I first had this problem I initially was ready to blame the new Android update from AT&T I received just days before, but then remembered I’d received a new BeyondPod as well, so figured that is the more likely “cause.” Since reverting to 4.2.16 corrected the issue, I no longer think an Android update was to blame.
    My biggest pain in retesting this is the backup and restore (file copying) of my huge amount of “pending” content. I usually shutdown and remove the microSD and do the copying on my PC and have moved my backup to a local disk (I usually use a locally connected file server) to make the copying faster, but it’s still time consuming. If you think a rename of the mobi.beyondpod directory under Android on the SD card will allow me to uninstall 4.2.18 and reinstall 4.2.16 and then use BeyondPod backup files to get my settings back and a rename to put the content back could work, I’d be more willing to jump in more often and try various things for you to get 4.2.18 (or later) working for me. I do plan to at least try the above when you are ready for me to save some logs, but it seemed you thought seeing this list of answers was a better first step.
    I also have BeyondPod on a Samsung Tab e Lite that is not subscribed to the beta. That device and my phone share an EpisodeSync account. That device also has at least some of the same apps including GSAM battery monitor. After posting this I plan to subscribe to beta on it and see how 4.2.18 works for me there using what then is mostly streaming content (same subscriptions and episodes are synced, but the content is mostly not downloaded on the tablet).

-David
    Last edited by netreamer; 01-18-2017 at 03:40 PM.