Thread: Can't restore on new phone

Can't restore on new phone

I saved the backup on my old phone, shared it to Google Drive, but when I open it from my new phone (even in the Downloads folder), it opens in "archive viewer" not BeyondPod. How do I get it to open with the app?

I also can't change BeyondPod's restore folder, it won't let me go above its own folder to the Downloads folder, even after selecting to Allow permissions to storage.

I can't move the file from Downloads to the BeyondPod folder unless I download a file manager app, but the default folder is Backup which doesn't exist, and even when I get BeyondPod to restore the file, nothing gets restored!

This is really a pain. The file just used to open in BeyondPod. Can someone explain what actually works???
    Last edited by dhinged; 03-18-2017 at 04:57 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Apparently Google have imposed limitations on apps being able to open files, but because of the issues with file access, most phones these days come with a File Manager preinstalled as a system app, so that it has full access to all the files on your device. Moving your backup to the BeyondPod folder is definitely going to be the easiest way to deal with this, I'm afraid.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Apparently Google have imposed limitations on apps being able to open files, but because of the issues with file access, most phones these days come with a File Manager preinstalled as a system app, so that it has full access to all the files on your device. Moving your backup to the BeyondPod folder is definitely going to be the easiest way to deal with this, I'm afraid.

Julie
    I understand Google's restrictions, but that's not really the problem; the .bpbak file extension should be recognized as a BeyondPod file (meaning the app should register the extension to Android so it'll open it automatically or appear on the list of apps that can open it), but it's not in this case except for where I later discovered it was recognized as a BeyondPod file by Estrongs File Explorer Pro if I tried to open the file from there where I could also tap to "always" open that type of file with BeyondPod.

Why only File Explorer Pro understands that BeyondPod is an app that can open a .bpbak file but the Android system is not understanding that (on a fresh Pixel or an HTC 10 factory reset), I don't know, but I'm not having problems with a similar restore process from Nova Launcher, which also saves a backup file, lets me share it to Drive, then on the new phone once I open the file (from Drive or after being downloaded), Nova Launcher opens the file and restores the settings.

BeyondPod used to behave this way; now it doesn't. I'm trying to figure out why and get it to work as easily as it used to without having to use a 3rd-party file explorer to move the file or just randomly have BeyondPod appear in an "open with" menu.
    Last edited by dhinged; 03-19-2017 at 03:44 PM.