Thread: Feedback for BeyondPod

Feedback for BeyondPod

I've been a user of BeyondPod for many years. For the most part I've been happy with it, but I hear of other podcast players that have features that sound great, but they are not included with BP. Specifically recently I tried switching to Pocket Casts because to the high rating on Lifehacker. I tried it for 2+ weeks and here's my feedback for BP after trying what the other app has to offer...

I listen to or watch 50 or so podcasts. I really like BP's ability to set a specific play rate for each podcast. Some podcasts i need to hear every word or due to the way a person speaks they are difficult to hear at 1.5 which is my normal default speed. Thank you for this feature.

I like the way BP will play a list of podcasts in a list without having to specifically add them to some special play list which requires several button taps. Hard to do in a car while driving. Your app just is simple. Thank you!

In Pocket Casts it has the ability to skip blank space when playing back a podcast. Why does BP not have this? This was one of the features that made me want to try out PC.

I play podcasts thru my car stereo using Bluetooth. It's a Pioneer AV4100. For some reason when I tap the double arrows at the right, BP will skip to the next podcast. I like that ability to do that. With PC when using the same phone and in dash receiver, the double arrows will skip 30 seconds forward in the podcast. That I also like, because it gives me the ability to skip commercials within a podcast. Is there any way for BP to incorporate BOTH features into the functionality of playback in the car?

I will be switching back to BP, because I just find your interface much easier to use, but if you could address the above 2 items it would be much appreciated! I look forward to hearing more from BP and what your further development direction is going to take you. Thank you!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Thank you for your feedback.

To answer your specific questions:

BeyondPod uses the built-in player on your device, so can only do what the player's programmatic interface allows. I believe PocketCasts has its own player, so has tighter control. Rewriting BP to have its own player would be a mammoth task. As far as I am aware, there is no way to instruct the built-in player to skip over blank space.

BeyondPod allows you both types of skip buttons (on the phone), but when connected to a bluetooth player, it is limited to simulated button presses on a Bluetooth headset, and these are usually more restricted than on the phone. So you can choose to have Skip to End or Skip forward <n> seconds, but not both, because Android can only send BP a (real or simulated) button press. However, you can choose WHICH button does what action in Settings | Player Settings | Headset Button actions). So, if you are willing to give up the ability to rewind, for instance, you could potentially (and unintuitively) choose to make the rewind button into a Skip to Next button, for instance.

HTH
    Julie

Thanks Julie. The button help is perfect. I'll test it out this evening.
    I also wanted to include that your integration with Feedly is excellent. Appreciate that.

I see 3 player options within BP settings. Sonic Player, Mpg123 Player and Presto. Will any of those skip blank space?

Thanks Again!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
    I see 3 player options within BP settings. Sonic Player, Mpg123 Player and Presto. Will any of those skip blank space?
    I wouldn't touch Presto with a bargepole. It hasn't been updated for years, and was always flaky even when it was the only available option for speed adjustment. (In fact, I suggested we remove it, but I was overruled.) It was the reason for introducing a setting to only use speed adjustment (i.e. Presto at the time) when a podcast had a default speed set that's not x1.

The other two are two variants on instructions to the internal player for speed and volume adjustment (Sonic being newer; MPG123 is really only a fallback for older versions of Android), but I don't think they are capable of blank detection and skipping, and even if they were, BP won't be instructing them to do it.

Julie