Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

Overheating

Hi

My Moto X (2014) just updated to Marshmallow and for some reason when I start listening to a podcast on BeyondPod (v 4.1.48), my phone overheat and get very slow. There is some compatibility problem?

Quote Originally Posted by marcorigobelli View Post
    Hi

My Moto X (2014) just updated to Marshmallow and for some reason when I start listening to a podcast on BeyondPod (v 4.1.48), my phone overheat and get very slow. There is some compatibility problem?
    Hey guys, I'm also having the exactly same problem.

I did some testing and found out BeyondPod was the one overheating my device. I also have a Moto X (2nd generation, 2014) and I'm running BeyondPod v 4.1.48.

FYi, this just happened after I updated to Android 6.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Does Google Music have the same issue? If so, it's likely to be Motorola's music player implementation.

Do you have speed adjustment enabled on your device? (Even if you're playing at x1 speed)
    If so, try disabling it. That way BP won't be adding the overhead of adjusting the playback speed.

NB: We haven't seen this on Nexus devices. I don't think anything else has Marshmallow yet.

Julie

I just moved from a Nexus 6 to a 6P, both running Marshmallow and I've had no issues like you describe.

I'm facing the same issue with Moto X 2014 + BeyondPod after upgrading to Marshmallow.

I've made some tests - Google Play Music does not make the phone overheat, even when playing long files such as podcasts (I tested with a 100Mb file).

Also, Deezer player does not make the phone overheat, so it's not a simple Marshmallow sound drive issue.

BeyondPod Team
    Have you tried enabling / disabling Speed adjustment in your BeyondPod settings (as per my previous response).
    Settings | Player Settings | Enable Speed Adjustment

Julie

Sorry, didn't see this work around, but it didn't work - I disabled speed adjustment and the phone still overheats.

BeyondPod Team
    In that case, I don't really know what to suggest, other than trying beta version 4.2.10 (which has official support for Marshmallow - but in reality, that's more about supporting the new permissions model, rather than anything else). I guess there's a remote possibility that the Moto X is doing some hard work trying to deal with legacy permissions, but it's a long shot.

Unfortunately, we don't have access to a Moto X to test on, and as I said before, it's not a generic Marshmallow issue.

Julie

Just upgraded my Moto X Style / Pure 2015 to Android 6.0. Not sure yet if I'm experiencing the overheating issue, but I discovered that BeyondPod was conflicting with the Active Display (perhaps that's causing the overheating others are reporting). Unless I disabled BeyondPod or specifically blocked BeyondPod from showing its notification in Moto Display (on the lockscreen) the lockscreen drag to unlock wouldn't work. If BeyondPod was active it would also cause the moto app to glitch when trying to access the 'display' section of the app. Once BeyondPod was blocked from showing on the lockscreen the problems with unlocking and the app glitching went away (and returned if I removed the block).

So, maybe try blocking it from being displayed in the Moto app and see if it reduces the overheating?

Edit - this was on beta version 4.2.10.
    Last edited by tlagalt; 12-10-2015 at 04:51 PM.