Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to automatically populate playlist?

How to automatically populate playlist?

I used the older version of Beyond Pod on my old phone. In the old version I would download podcasts and they would automatically populate the playlist in chronological order. I didn't have to worry about adding anything to any playlist. Episodes were just there.

Now in the new version, the playlist does not populate automatically no matter what settings I check or uncheck in the playlist settings.

What setting do I use to just have the playlist automatically populate with all episodes I have downloaded?

I must say that the layout and navigation of the old version was much more straightforward and easier to deal with.

Is this a new device? Did you remember to download the "BeyondPod Unlock Key" app? That's the indication that you've paid for the automatic playlist feature.

Yes, I installed the unlock key.

My old phone was so old that Smart Switch wouldn't work so I had to buy a new unlock key.

Are your feeds getting updated automatically? That is, episodes get downloaded? If not, you configure Categories to update automatically. Swipe right from the Player screen, scroll down, tap "Manage Feeds" (which I maintain should be "Manage Categories"), and you can then tap on the three-dots menu button at the right of each category to schedule the updating of that category.

If you have episodes, but no playlist, swipe right from Player. There should be the word "SMARTPLAY" (it *might* be some other word) with a down-arrow, tap that. This drops down a list of playlists, SMARTPLAY should be here, tap the three-dots next to that, and then tap "Edit". This is where you create the playlist program.

The Simplest program you can create is: Tap the "+ ADD RULE", and then tap "Latest" and select "Oldest" which I think is what you want. Tap SAVE at the top of the screen to save this program. You can tap "1 Episode" and select however many episodes you want queued up at once.

You will also need to set the items in Settings/Playlist Settings to tell BP how to manage playlists. These will let you get continuous play, no matter how many episodes you have queued at once.

In Settings > Playlist Settings I have "Automatic Playlist" checked. Is that not enough? It was in the previous version. I never used Smartplay. All I want is to have episodes automatically added to the playlist when I download them like it was in the previous version.

I have my feeds to update automatically every couple of days. That seems to work. But, unlike the old version, the new version doesn't have an option to show only new episodes AND unplayed downloaded episodes, ie all unplayed episodes. Your choices are everything or what you've downloaded. This is annoying.

When I swipe the right side I get the Playlist. You have to click a + sign to make a new Smartplay list. I have actually tried this before, but when nothing happened I deleted it. I'll try it again to see what happens. It may be a while before I can tell because I manually added a bunch of episodes to the Playlist. Again, I don't think I ever used Smartplay list in the old version. I just checked "Automatic Playlist." It would be nice if the new version worked the same.

Hmm. My previous reply never appeared so I'll try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    Are your feeds getting updated automatically? That is, episodes get downloaded? If not, you configure Categories to update automatically. Swipe right from the Player screen, scroll down, tap "Manage Feeds" (which I maintain should be "Manage Categories"), and you can then tap on the three-dots menu button at the right of each category to schedule the updating of that category.
    Yes, my feeds are set to update once every couple of days.

If you have episodes, but no playlist, swipe right from Player. There should be the word "SMARTPLAY" (it *might* be some other word) with a down-arrow, tap that. This drops down a list of playlists, SMARTPLAY should be here, tap the three-dots next to that, and then tap "Edit". This is where you create the playlist program.

The Simplest program you can create is: Tap the "+ ADD RULE", and then tap "Latest" and select "Oldest" which I think is what you want. Tap SAVE at the top of the screen to save this program. You can tap "1 Episode" and select however many episodes you want queued up at once.
    In Settings > Playlist Settings I have "Automatic Playlist" checked. Is that not enough? It was in the previous version. I never used Smartplay. I never needed to since all I needed was the playlist to have all my dowloaded episodes in chronological order.

It's a + sign that you press to start a new Smartplay list. It's not obvious that this is what to do. Also, I tried it before but when nothing happened, I just deleted it. I'll try again, but it'll be a while before I can tell if it works since I already manually added a bunch of episodes to the playlist.

You will also need to set the items in Settings/Playlist Settings to tell BP how to manage playlists. These will let you get continuous play, no matter how many episodes you have queued at once.
    I actually don't need BP to "manage" playlists. I just want Automatic Playlist to work.

Another annoying thing about the new version is that in the feed view your only choices are "My Episodes" meaning episodes you I have downloaded or "All Episodes." In the old version I could choose to chow all unplayed episodes, which included episodes I downloaded and new episodes I haven't downloaded. In the new version I have to look at all episodes, played, unplayed, or downloaded if I want to see more than just the episodes I've downloaded. This is a major pain and a downgrade from the older version. Anyway, I wish the new version worked like the old version. Looks like the developers "fixed" a bunch of things that worked just fine before.

How to automatically populate playlist? (part 2)

Since my replies to the other thread seem to be sucked into a black hole I'll try to start another thread.

Yes, I already it had it set up to update feeds every couple of days. That seems to work.

Under Settings > Playlist Settings I have "Automatic Playlist" checked. Isn't that enough? That's all I needed in the old version. I never used Smartplay because all I wanted was my downloaded episodes to be listed in chronological order and Automatic Playlist took care of that.

It's a + sign you have to press to add a new Smartplay, which is not obvious. And why would I have to tell BP how to "manage" a playlist? I never had to do it in the old version. Automatic Playlist just did it. Anyway, I tried to make a Smartplay list before and nothing happened so I deleted it. I'll try it again, but it may be a while before I see if it does anything because I added a bunch of episodes to the playlist manually.

All I want is for it to work like the old version, where all I had to do was check Automatic Playlist and downloaded episodes would be added to the playlist. It was that simple. I don't know why it's not working the same way in the new version.

Ok, so sorry for not quoting because every attempt to post a reply does not go through.

Reply to first paragraph:

Yes, I already it had it set up to update feeds every couple of days. That seems to work.

Reply to the rest:

Under Settings > Playlist Settings I have "Automatic Playlist" checked. Isn't that enough? That's all I needed in the old version. I never used Smartplay because all I wanted was my downloaded episodes to be listed in chronological order and Automatic Playlist took care of that.

It's a + sign you have to press to add a new Smartplay, which is not obvious. And why would I have to tell BP how to "manage" a playlist? I never had to do it in the old version. Automatic Playlist just did it. Anyway, I tried to make a Smartplay list before and nothing happened so I deleted it. I'll try it again, but it may be a while before I see if it does anything because I added a bunch of episodes to the playlist manually.

All I want is for it to work like the old version, where all I had to do was check Automatic Playlist and downloaded episodes would be added to the playlist. It was that simple. I don't know why it's not working the same way in the new version.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    If you have Automatic Playlist enabled:
    1. Pull out the left drawer and tap on the Category you want (or All Feeds)
    2. If you want a different sort order, set that from the three dots menu (the sort order is sticky, so if you always want Oldest first, you'll never have to do this again - and it should be Oldest first by default anyway)
    3. Tap Play on the first episode in the list, and the others will play automatically

Julie

What you said has nothing whatsoever to do with the playlist.