Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to automatically populate playlist?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Then we must be using the term "Playlist" to refer to two different things.

I enabled Automatic Playlist, and pressed Play on the first episode in My Episodes. In the first screenshot I had opened a feed; in the second I had opened All Feeds.

If you've previously ticked the "In the future..." box, you won't see the pop-up. And if there's currently nothing on your Playlist, it won't need to ask. In either of those cases, it'll just add all the episodes to the playlist and play them, which is what I understood that you are trying to achieve.

I have never seen this prompt before. Doing what you said in the previous reply does not bring up this prompt for me.

Besides, I don't want to start a NEW playlist every time. I shouldn't have to go to the feeds to start listening to episodes I've downloaded. In the old version I would go into feeds where they would show all episodes that are unplayed, whether they were downloaded or not. Then I would download the episodes I wanted and mark as "played" episodes I didn't want. Those would no longer show up in the feed (unless I clicked show all). I could just run through the feeds and click download on a bunch of episodes and they would all start downloading. Then I could go to the playlist and they would all be there and I could just start listening to them until they were all done. Rinse repeat.

BeyondPod Team
    BeyondPod has only ever had one Playlist, which is the queue of episodes you want to play next, not the list of episodes available to you to play or download. Your only options when you add episodes to the Playlist (including using AutoPlay) are to replace what's already queued to play, or to append new episodes to it. That has always been the case, even in version 3.x. If you're not seeing the prompt in the screenshot then either you have already changed the setting to automatically replace the existing playlist at some point in the past (whether you were aware of it or not), or your playlist is empty.

You don't have to go to the Feed to play your episodes. If your Home Page (in General Settings) is set to Default, when you open BP, you'll be presented with a list of episodes. Which episodes you actually see (and the order they're sorted in) is "sticky" from last time you used BP, so if you previously opened a feed or category from the left hand drawer, that's what you'll see. To see ALL episodes, select All Feeds from the left hand drawer. Tapping Play on the first one will add all of them to your Playlist and start playing them.

What you're asking about picking and choosing which episodes to download is a different question (and is separate from automatically generating the Playlist). Due to the confusion between Read status and Played status in BP 3.x, the workflow for this is somewhat different in BP 4.x

For those Feeds where you don't want to automatically download episodes as they become available, set the action in the Episode Downloads section of the feed settings to Stream Latest (or Stream in order, if they're books or courses that you want to hear from the beginning, but it's unlikely you'll want that setting if you're not going to listen to every episode in the feed right from the very first one published). See the Episode Download Logic help page for the differences.

As each new episode is published, it will become visible in My Episodes, and you can, as before, either Mark as Played or Download each episode you see there. Episodes that have not already been downloaded will have the grey Download icon.

If you have a lot of episodes to decide about (or more to the point, a lot of episodes you won't want to download), it will probably be easiest to inspect them all (including tapping the descriptions for full show notes if you need to - if you're not in Compact mode; in compact mode you'll need to use the episode's three dot menu to access the full description), tap the download icon for the ones you want, and then go back to multi-select and Mark as Read those that are left (i.e. the ones where the download icon is still grey, with no circle around it, showing that it's not queued for download).

You can multi-select episodes to Mark them as Read all in one go by long pressing on the first one you want to mark, then tapping the others you don't want, and choosing Mark as Read for all of them from the three dots menu at the top right of the screen. To Mark as Played individually, tap the three dots in the episode card.

After the initial setup of changing your "check before downloading" feeds to Stream Latest, all of this takes longer to explain than it does to do.

To make sure that you don't inadvertently stream episodes over mobile data (if you don't want to), make sure Streaming Preferences in the Player Settings is set to WiFi Only or Never.

HTH
    Julie

BeyondPod Team
    BeyondPod has only ever had one Playlist, which is the queue of episodes you want to play next, not the list of episodes available to you to play or download. Your only options when you add episodes to the Playlist (including using AutoPlay) are to replace what's already queued to play or to append new episodes to it. That has always been the case, even in version 3.x. If you're not seeing the prompt in the screenshot then either you have already changed the setting to automatically replace the existing playlist at some point in the past (whether you were aware of it or not), or your playlist is empty.

You don't have to go to the Feed to play your episodes. If your Home Page (in General Settings) is set to Default, when you open BP, you'll be presented with a list of episodes. Which episodes you actually see (and the order they're sorted in) is "sticky" from last time you used BP, so if you previously opened a feed or category from the left hand drawer, that's what you'll see. To see ALL episodes, select All Feeds from the left hand drawer. Tapping Play on the first one will add all of them to your Playlist and start playing them.

What you're asking about picking and choosing which episodes to download is a different question (and is separate from automatically generating the Playlist). Due to the confusion between Read status and Played status in BP 3.x, the workflow for this is somewhat different in BP 4.x

For those Feeds where you don't want to automatically download episodes as they become available, set the action in the Episode Downloads section of the feed settings to Stream Latest (or Stream in order, if they're books or courses that you want to hear from the beginning, but it's unlikely you'll want that setting if you're not going to listen to every episode in the feed right from the very first one published). See Episode Download Logic for the differences.

As each new episode is published, it will become visible in My Episodes, and you can, as before, either Mark as Played or Download each episode you see there. Episodes that have not already been downloaded will have the grey Download icon.

If you have a lot of episodes to decide about (or more to the point, a lot of episodes you won't want to download), it will probably be easiest to inspect them all (including tapping the descriptions for full show notes if you need to - if you're not in Compact mode; in compact mode you'll need to use the episode's three dot menu to access the full description), tap the download icon for the ones you want, and then go back to multi-select and Mark as Read those that are left (i.e. the ones where the download icon is still grey, with no circle around it, showing that it's not queued for download).

You can multi-select episodes to Mark them as Read all in one go by long pressing on the first one you want to mark, then tapping the others you don't want, and choosing Mark as Read for all of them from the three dots menu at the top right of the screen. To Mark as Played individually, tap the three dots in the episode card.

After the initial setup of changing your "check before downloading" feeds to Stream Latest, all of this takes longer to explain than it does to do.

To make sure that you don't inadvertently stream episodes over mobile data (if you don't want to), make sure Streaming Preferences in the Player Settings is set to WiFi Only or Never.

HTH
    Julie

Please update the app to make automatic playlist work like it used to.

BeyondPod Team
    BeyondPod has only ever had one Playlist, which is the queue of episodes you want to play next, not the list of episodes available to you to play or download. Your only options when you add episodes to the Playlist (including using AutoPlay) are to replace what's already queued to play or to append new episodes to it. That has always been the case, even in version 3.x. If you're not seeing the prompt in the screenshot then either you have already changed the setting to automatically replace the existing playlist at some point in the past (whether you were aware of it or not), or your playlist is empty.

For those Feeds where you don't want to automatically download episodes as they become available, set the action in the Episode Downloads section of the feed settings to Stream Latest (or Stream in order, if they're books or courses that you want to hear from the beginning, but it's unlikely you'll want that setting if you're not going to listen to every episode in the feed right from the very first one published). See Episode Download Logic for the differences.

After the initial setup of changing your "check before downloading" feeds to Stream Latest, all of this takes longer to explain than it does to do. To make sure that you don't inadvertently stream episodes over mobile data (if you don't want to), make sure Streaming Preferences in the Player Settings is set to WiFi Only or Never.

HTH
    Julie

I'll quote this way so my post goes through.

""BeyondPod has only ever had one Playlist, which is the queue of episodes you want to play next, not the list of episodes available to you to play or download.""

Why do you think I don't know this?

What I'm saying is the playlist doesn't work like it used to.

"" Your only options when you add episodes to the Playlist (including using AutoPlay) are to replace what's already queued to play or to append new episodes to it. ""

I never had to manually add episodes to the playlist. EVER. Automatic playlist did it for me. I have no idea why you're telling me this. What I'm saying is that Automatic Playlist doesn't seem to be working the way it should.

"" If you're not seeing the prompt in the screenshot then either you have already changed the setting to automatically replace the existing playlist at some point in the past (whether you were aware of it or not), or your playlist is empty.""

Then is there a way to see the prompt again? Maybe clear all app data and start from scratch?

""You don't have to go to the Feed to play your episodes. ""

Right. But right now, I have to go to the feed to manually add every episode to the playlist, which is annoying. This is because AUTOMATIC PLAYLIST ISN'T WORKING LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

""What you're asking about picking and choosing which episodes to download is a different question (and is separate from automatically generating the Playlist).""

The only reason I said anything about it is because you brought up the prompt you get in the feeds.

""As each new episode is published, it will become visible in My Episodes""

That's not my experience. Only episodes that have been downloaded show up in My Episodes.

I'll quote this way so my post goes through.

""BeyondPod has only ever had one Playlist, which is the queue of episodes you want to play next, not the list of episodes available to you to play or download.""

What I'm saying is the playlist doesn't work like it used to.

"" Your only options when you add episodes to the Playlist (including using AutoPlay) are to replace what's already queued to play or to append new episodes to it. ""

I never had to manually add episodes to the playlist. EVER. Automatic playlist did it for me. I have no idea why you're telling me this. What I'm saying is that Automatic Playlist doesn't seem to be working the way it should.

"" If you're not seeing the prompt in the screenshot then either you have already changed the setting to automatically replace the existing playlist at some point in the past (whether you were aware of it or not), or your playlist is empty.""

Then is there a way to see the prompt again? Maybe clear all app data and start from scratch?

""You don't have to go to the Feed to play your episodes. ""

Right. But right now, I have to go to the feed to manually add every episode to the playlist, which is annoying. This is because AUTOMATIC PLAYLIST ISN'T WORKING LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

""What you're asking about picking and choosing which episodes to download is a different question (and is separate from automatically generating the Playlist).""

The only reason I said anything about it is because you brought up the prompt you get in the feeds.

That's not my experience. Only episodes that have been downloaded show up in My Episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by phonon View Post
    First I must say your responses (this and others) come across as pretty rude. You probably don't mean it but it does come across as such. Nothing personal, but sometime the tone does get lost in cyberspace.

Anyway, to do what you want, you probably want to setup a SmartPlay that includes every feed you want, set it as default, then under "Playlist Settings", turn on "Auto Rebuild SmartPlay" and optionally "Keep Current Episode". Perhaps also create a desktop shortcut to the SmartPlay. Every time you get new downloads it should automatically refresh. It works for me and that's how I use BP daily since v4 (probably earlier too, I don't think this piece has change much. It has been one of the key and unique feature of BP). If that doesn't help you, or you already know about all these but still doesn't meet you need, then I don't know what else.
    Last edited by colonelheero; 05-11-2017 at 03:43 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by phonon View Post

Episodes that have EITHER been downloaded OR have been marked for streaming will appear.
    This is relevant only to the part of the discussion about those feeds where you want to pick and choose which episodes to download (you need to set them to Stream to be able to see them in this list).

To play all of the episodes you see in that list (including episodes marked for streaming, if your streaming settings allow), press play on the first episode. Since you have AutoPlay already enabled, it will add all of the episodes you see to your playlist, in the order you see them, and play them in that order. i.e. it will Auto(matically) Play them.

What actually gets played is what you see in the My Episodes list at the time you press play. If you have chosen All Feeds from the left hand menu, then it'll play all of your downloaded or streamable episodes.

Julie