Thread: Settings backup to google account

Question Settings backup to google account

I love beyondpod and i have been using it for years. But one thing that has been lacking other apps is the ability to auto backup settings to the google account like so may other apps do nowadays. so when i reinstall all settings will also be automagically imported.

Will we ever see this function?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Zgz View Post
    I love beyondpod and i have been using it for years. But one thing that has been lacking other apps is the ability to auto backup settings to the google account like so may other apps do nowadays. so when i reinstall all settings will also be automagically imported.

Right now there is nothing in the works for this feature as we already have a backup feature (it's just not automatic). You can save/backup your current settings and feed subscriptions and then restore them after re-install.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Zgz View Post

Actually, BeyondPod has been doing it (or trying to) for years. Unfortunately, there were historically lots of issues with Android's automatic system. Even when it worked (which was pretty hit or miss in itself), if you have multiple devices, it's pot luck which device's backup you'll get when you install on a new device. And even with the new, improved backup on Marshmallow, there's a (quite small) limit to the amount of data that Google will allow an app to backup, so it still wouldn't be possible to save and reinstate your downloaded episodes, for instance, and you still couldn't control which device's backup you got.

This is pure conjecture, but I suspect that the amount of data that BeyondPod keeps on your local device (not just your app preferences, but an entire database of the history of every feed you've subscribed to, every episode you've ever downloaded and played, your progress through partly played episodes, etc. - even without including the episodes themselves) is rather greater than Google anticipated for its automatic backup systems, which I'd guess were designed for nothing more than some login details and a few user preferences ... and that's why it couldn't be relied upon.

The fact that the built in backup and restore was so unreliable was the reason for creating the comprehensive manual backup and restore option that BP has today.