Thread: Having trouble figuring out SmartPlay.

Having trouble figuring out SmartPlay.

SmartPlay doesn't seem to work the way I thought it would, so I'm probably just missing something obvious.

I've got BeyondPod and the unlock key installed. I've divided my podcasts into a set that I'd like to listen to shortly after it's released ("timely"), and a set that can wait a while. I then created a single SmartPlay playlist, with the rules "play 5 from the timely set", and then "2 from the others".

I have both "Auto Rebuild SmartPlay" and "Keep Current Episode" turned on in settings, and I have 2 downloaded in the "timely" set and 5 or so from the other. But when it rebuilt the list after an update just now, it assembled the 2 timely songs, and only 1 from the other set. Is there a reason it's not picking up another one from the others?

It sounds like you're on the right track. If you tap "SMARTPLAY" at the top of the playlist page (swipe left from the player), does it do what you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    It sounds like you're on the right track. If you tap "SMARTPLAY" at the top of the playlist page (swipe left from the player), does it do what you expect?
    As it turns out, that led me to find a problem with my playlist rules. It's working as I expect it to now. Thanks for the hint!

Cool! Mind telling us what the problem was? Or is it just too embarrassing?

Interestingly, this seems to have resolved my immediate issue. My single smart play has, for the last couple of weeks, stopped refreshing - so the episodes are on the device, but not being added to the smartplay list. Tapping the header has rebuilt the list, but this always used to happen without my intervention - what do I need to change to make it rebuild automatically?

Do you happen to be using the beta? The latest beta version (4.2.19, released just before Thanksgiving, which lines up wiht "the last couple of weeks" pretty well) has a lot of issues, and one of them is that the SmartPlay lists weren't updating automatically. If that's what's happening to you, I'd suggest checking the beta versions threads. There are a few on how to go back to a working version. See the thread http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...than-I-thought in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by adamlopresto View Post
    Do you happen to be using the beta?
    Great call - thanks. That was exactly my issue.
    Now I know - I'll stick with it - it seems there is a fix in testing....