Thread: How do I hide "segment" descriptions?

How do I hide "segment" descriptions?

I'm subscribed to "Snap Judgment", a storytelling podcast with several segments per episode. The feed contains a description of each segment within the episode - I haven't seen this in any other podcast, so I don't know if this is unique to Snap. BeyondPod displays the description for each segment as a separate card in the UI, but only the main "episode" card has the Download/Menu controls on it - the separate "segment" cards don't have any of the controls. This makes the feed look pretty cluttered, and I have to scroll through looking for the card with the controls when I want to add an older episode. What I'd like to do is have BeyondPod hide the segment cards, so that only the main episode card is shown. Is this possible? Thanks!

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by smash View Post
    I'm subscribed to "Snap Judgment", a storytelling podcast with several segments per episode. The feed contains a description of each segment within the episode - I haven't seen this in any other podcast, so I don't know if this is unique to Snap. BeyondPod displays the description for each segment as a separate card in the UI, but only the main "episode" card has the Download/Menu controls on it - the separate "segment" cards don't have any of the controls. This makes the feed look pretty cluttered, and I have to scroll through looking for the card with the controls when I want to add an older episode. What I'd like to do is have BeyondPod hide the segment cards, so that only the main episode card is shown. Is this possible? Thanks!
    Hello,

When you are in the "Snap Judgement" Feed (or any feed), click on the three dot icon on the top right hand corner. You will see "Compact Cards"... Make sure this option is check marked and it will hide the detailed descriptions and only show the titles.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Hello,

When you are in the "Snap Judgement" Feed (or any feed), click on the three dot icon on the top right hand corner. You will see "Compact Cards"... Make sure this option is check marked and it will hide the detailed descriptions and only show the titles.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for your response. I'm using compact cards currently, but the behavior remains the same - there are several cards per episode, but only one of the cards has a menu or download button. I was wondering if there was a setting to hide all the cards that don't have the controls on them.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I'm subscribed to "Snap Judgment", a storytelling podcast with several segments per episode. The feed contains a description of each segment within the episode - I haven't seen this in any other podcast, so I don't know if this is unique to Snap.
    It's not unique to snap, but it is specific to the way the people who produce it have decided to publish it. The RSS feed for this podcast (Snap Judgment - http://feeds.wnyc.org/snapjudgment-wnyc) includes a mixture of episodes and text-only entries. The "segments" you're referring to are the text-only entries.

You won't see these text only entries in My Episodes view in BeyondPod (because they don't have any episodes associated with them), but you will see them in the All Published view.

Because (for historical reasons) BP can be used as a general RSS feed reader, I don't think there's any way to hide the text-only entries in the All Published view.

If what you are looking for is a way to pick and choose which episodes to download on an ongoing basis, you could set the feed to Stream Latest episodes, and then manually either mark an episode you don't want as "Played", or download it if it's one you want to listen to. But since you're asking about going back and looking for older episodes, this workflow probably wouldn't work for you.

I did have a look to see whether Hide Unsupported Media in the Advanced Settings might help, but I'm afraid this only applied to RSS entries that actually HAVE media.

The only other thing I can suggest is to ask the publishers whether they have an alternative RSS feed for the podcast that only includes the entries that have the episodes attached.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I'm subscribed to "Snap Judgment", a storytelling podcast with several segments per episode. The feed contains a description of each segment within the episode - I haven't seen this in any other podcast, so I don't know if this is unique to Snap.
    It's not unique to snap, but it is specific to the way the people who produce it have decided to publish it. The RSS feed for this podcast includes a mixture of episodes and text-only entries. The "segments" you're referring to are the text-only entries.

You won't see these text only entries in My Episodes view in BeyondPod (because they don't have any episodes associated with them), but you will see them in the All Published view.

Because (for historical reasons) BP can be used as a general RSS feed reader, I don't think there's any way to hide the text-only entries in the All Published view.

If what you are looking for is a way to pick and choose which episodes to download on an ongoing basis, you could set the feed to Stream Latest episodes, and then manually either mark an episode you don't want as "Played", or download it if it's one you want to listen to. But since you're asking about going back and looking for older episodes, this workflow probably wouldn't work for you.

I did have a look to see whether Hide Unsupported Media in the Advanced Settings might help, but I'm afraid this only applied to RSS entries that actually HAVE media.

The only other thing I can suggest is to ask the publishers whether they have an alternative RSS feed for the podcast that only includes the entries that have the episodes attached.

(My previous reply, which included a link to the feed) was held for approval as potential spam. Mods, feel free to delete one of them and approve the other.)