Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.2.19 a disastrous release. Let me count the ways

BeyondPod Team
    We are currently looking into issues with the new BETA release. We appreciate your feedback so we can resolve issues before pushing an update version to production.

Timing releases: not before a holiday or weekend

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    We are currently looking into issues with the new BETA release. We appreciate your feedback so we can resolve issues before pushing an update version to production.
    I worked in the tech industry. We made it a rule to never release software (even betas) right before a weekend or a holiday. Of course it would turn out that the first flakey beta build in a couple years would have been released right before the long Thanksgiving weekend.

I removed myself from beta status in the Play Store beta because this last release was so painful. I turned on the beta flag in settings. But going forward I am going to check here and wait a few days before daring to install beta builds.

I wish I had see this thread before I updated. What a mess. In addition to all that has been mentioned here, this release also seems to have quit responding to the Tasker intent to update the playlist. I have it do that when I get on wifi and that is not working. And the updates don't really work either -- lots of errors.

Yup, a mess. I had 2 Category updates setup, after the update to .19 the following happened.
    1. Lost access to the SD card and had to manually redownload the podcasts.
    2. Automatic updates failed and I couldn't set them up again since they each claimed to conflict with the other even though they didn't.
    I ended up exiting the beta program and downloading the production version so I could continue to listen to podcasts.

uninstalling removes the backup - if you pull it out of the backup folder 1st you can put back & it will work

It wouldn't let me go back to 4.2.18, so I uninstalled. Then when I installed 4.2.18, I had to restore from an old backup. Not sure if it includes everything, but better than dealing with what 4.2.19 probably did to my data. I am used to BeyondPod being a bit annoying, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Goattee View Post
    I removed myself from beta status in the Play Store beta because this last release was so painful. I turned on the beta flag in settings. But going forward I am going to check here and wait a few days before daring to install beta builds.
    Which is a shame. I have turned off auto-update for now. I have been supportive of the beta ever since they worked on 4.0. In my experience this is the first time a beta release get massively screwed up like this. I wanted to continue to support an app that I have used for the past 7 years, but at the same time it is just too risky for an app that I use 2+ hours a day.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by colonelheero View Post
    Which is a shame. I have turned off auto-update for now. I have been supportive of the beta ever since they worked on 4.0. In my experience this is the first time a beta release get massively screwed up like this. I wanted to continue to support an app that I have used for the past 7 years, but at the same time it is just too risky for an app that I use 2+ hours a day.
    Same, same, same.

Sure, there is an inherent risk that comes along with being a beta tester, but no prior beta release of BeyondPod over the last few years has been this buggy nor have they broken such basic functionality. I was hopeful that this was just a simple mistake and not a sign of poor decision making in the development and beta testing process. It sure didn't feel like this beta release was up to their usual standard.

I'm really surprised this wasn't rolled back or quickly patched on Monday. I've uninstalled and gone back to the prior version. I'm also getting out of the water as a beta tester and exploring other podcast apps.

I will also be removing myself from being a beta tester. I can't believe they're pushing forward and going to wait until fixes are in place instead of rolling this broken turd back

Well, after my Pixel XL updated to the newest Android beta this morning, the Beyond pod beta became non-functional. I open the app, hit play, and the screen freezes, the podcasts play, but there is no way to pause or stop playback. I had to reboot the phone to stop it! I get the same freezing when i try any function like update, sorry they playlist, etc.
    So, o ended up uninstalling it and have gone back to the previous beta. Now rebuilding my subscriptions, luckily i had an OPML to import.