Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.2.19 How long until some new release?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    (And contrary to the label under my name, I stopped working on BeyondPod in March 2017.)

Oh boy.

I suspected there was a guy that just outsourced the development and did minimal upkeep once the app was "good enough". Turns out the company that the guy could have hired had the idea themselves and created a tech demo to show to potential customers and made a side business out of it.

I'm sure the company could do some really cool stuff with the manpower they have available but it seems like there is little interest in actually improving the app anymore.

I hope Kimberly gets the go ahead to actually talk to us about what's going on.

People looking for an alternative, should the wait for a fix get too long, I recommend they take a look at PodcastAddict. It's ugly as sin but is has a ton of options and the dev is pretty active.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    BeyondPod isn't Open Source. It's been owned and supported by Smart Data Systems since March 2016.
    Ha I think that explained why the once beloved apps have done down hill in the past year or so. All good things must come to an end. Perhaps this is the signal.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    (And contrary to the label under my name, I stopped working on BeyondPod in March 2017.)
    Julie, I am sure a lot of us on this board really appreciate your support while you were attached to the project. The active dev support was what made BP great. The ride from 3.0 to 4.0 was definitely rough but I think at the end it turned out well once the criticism died down. I wish you good luck in whatever next role you find yourself in!

I really love BeyondPod but I don't think I can wait much longer

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelheero View Post
    Julie, I am sure a lot of us on this board really appreciate your support while you were attached to the project. The active dev support was what made BP great. The ride from 3.0 to 4.0 was definitely rough but I think at the end it turned out well once the criticism died down. I wish you good luck in whatever next role you find yourself in!
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by ratatosk View Post
    The player is mostly functional for me, but trying to add a new feed crashes the app (in one instance when I tried to open the app from Play Store while it was crashed it crashed my phone, and another time it caused the phone to hang for a few seconds, which seems really bad). ... But the broken add feed is a real problem.
    Hi, Also reporting the same add feed functionality problem with v4.2.19.
    Trying to add a feed hangs the program.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by dlynch View Post
    Hi, Kim. Thanks for stepping up to be the communications conduit in this unfortunate situation!

Can you answer a couple of questions?

1) who are you? What exactly is your relationship to BeyondPod?

2) what is the relationship of the "developers" to BeyondPod? Who are they? (And yes, I mean by name. Most open source developers are eager to be known by their projects. If this situation is different, how?)

3) I think I understand how developers might be thinking about this - only so many hours in a day, don't want to deal with short term issues at the expense of the path forward, this whole 8.1 thing wasn't my idea. Is there anybody involved with BeyondPod who is primarily an advocate for the user?
    Hello,

I am an employee of Smart Data Systems and am part of the customer service team for BeyondPod. We have just brought in a new development team from a different company to start helping with BeyondPod so that fixes and maintenance can be a bit faster, as before we only have one developer available to work on BeyondPod. I communicate all of the feedback I receive here on the forum to the development team and try to get things moving for you all but unfortunately there is only so much I can do on my end as I am not a developer and cannot contribute to that part.

Our new team is working on fixes and they do have some fixes made but they want to get all of the fixes done and tested before pushing out a new version. I will update you all as I have more information for you. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Is there a workaround procedure you can give us for adding a feed without the app hanging? Or do we need to wait for the next beta release.

Roll back to a previous version, it's the only "workaround" unfortunately.

Honestly after weeks of this not working, I've started using a different podcast app. At some point, it's time to just move on since this hasn't been fixed by now.