Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.2.19 How long until some new release?

4.2.19 How long until some new release?

Roughly how long until the new beta release, do you think? I would prefer not to delete the app and reinstall an old version, so if a new beta is coming in the next week or so I'll hold out. But it seems like maybe it will be much longer than that...

For what it's worth, I have a Pixel 2 running Android 8.0.0. The player is mostly functional for me, but trying to add a new feed crashes the app (in one instance when I tried to open the app from Play Store while it was crashed it crashed my phone, and another time it caused the phone to hang for a few seconds, which seems really bad). Aside from that, there are lots of annoyances with the new version (no play/paused notification, no controls in android pull-down menu, constant battery-use notification from Pixel, ignores color theme settings, white-on-white textboxes in add feed dialogue, et c.) but nothing that I can't put up with until a later release, confident in your ability to get back to the functionality of 4.2.18. But the broken add feed is a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ratatosk View Post
    Roughly how long until the new beta release, do you think? I would prefer not to delete the app and reinstall an old version, so if a new beta is coming in the next week or so I'll hold out. But it seems like maybe it will be much longer than that...

For what it's worth, I have a Pixel 2 running Android 8.0.0. The player is mostly functional for me, but trying to add a new feed crashes the app (in one instance when I tried to open the app from Play Store while it was crashed it crashed my phone, and another time it caused the phone to hang for a few seconds, which seems really bad). Aside from that, there are lots of annoyances with the new version (no play/paused notification, no controls in android pull-down menu, constant battery-use notification from Pixel, ignores color theme settings, white-on-white textboxes in add feed dialogue, et c.) but nothing that I can't put up with until a later release, confident in your ability to get back to the functionality of 4.2.18. But the broken add feed is a real problem.
    In every company I've worked for (15+ years in the industry), and every product within those companies, a release this bad would be cause for an immediate rollback. Frankly, releases with much, much less significant flaws would have been cause for a rollback. Even for a beta.

It's not at all obvious to me why that hasn't happened in this case, unless the release has also corrupted databases so badly that they need to build a recovery mechanism.

BeyondPod Team
    Hello,

The development team is currently working on fixes for these bugs. We are planning to have a new release in the upcoming week(s). Feedback is what we like and expect from BETA users. Thank you for your feedback so we can resolve these issues.

Please stop with the BETA stuff. You done fucked up. Own it. This isn't even remotely the standard one expects of a beta release. Don't act like there are just some minor bugs you're happy to get feedback on. You are making the situation worse with this attitude.

You should roll back this mess as fast as possible and apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by BubiBalboa View Post
    Please stop with the BETA stuff. You done fucked up. Own it. This isn't even remotely the standard one expects of a beta release. Don't act like there are just some minor bugs you're happy to get feedback on. You are making the situation worse with this attitude.

You should roll back this mess as fast as possible and apologize.
    Absolutely agreed. This isn't "Feedback". This is "We're telling you that you messed up and are continuing to screw over paying customers." Don't say you're planning a release in the coming "week(s)", say "we're sorry we broke the program and will have a fix out immediately."

In fact, I don't think I've seen a single apology on this, just a thanks for our "feedback." You're going to get a lot more feedback, in quantity, volume, and publicity, if this isn't fixed ASAP.

More feedback

A few other issues that I forgot to mention:

Occasionally when I add an episode to the playlist, the player will load all the other episodes from that feed into the playlist. Or maybe it happens when the episode finishes? It happens intermittently, and I haven't actually seen it happen, I've only noticed later that the whole feed was in the playlist.

Also, clicking on an episode to read the description causes it to be marked as downloaded. There is a setting that seems like it should control whether this happens, but changing that setting doesn't seem to affect this behavior.

Also, the more I use this version, the more I miss the lack of controls in the Android pull-down menu. I mentioned that before, but it's a more serious concern than I intimated earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Hello,

The development team is currently working on fixes for these bugs. We are planning to have a new release in the upcoming week(s). Feedback is what we like and expect from BETA users. Thank you for your feedback so we can resolve these issues.

After years of being a paid user, all I can say is WTF? I can't even reinstall from the play store after removing it. I can't get off the beta channel either. Just roll back and do it now!

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    a new release in the upcoming week(s)
    Don't want to sound rude or "entitled", but frankly, this is plainly not acceptable. Yes it is beta, we take the risk of having bugs here and there, in exchange for the latest feature and potentially help out the product we loved. It feels very irresponsible to invite people to help test your product, roll out a majorly broken beta, and expect people to wait for week(s) for it to be fixed. I'm not undermining the effort to build a good apps, and I understand it will take time to fix everything. But rolling back to a previously stable release should not be difficult, and should be considered your (not you specifically, but BP collectively) top priority at this point.

I have already returned to .18 so whatever you do here isn't going to impact me personally. But the longer it drags on, the more you are going to alienate your beta testers, if not the general user-base as a whole. Remember we are likely your best promoters out there. We are all watching how this thing go. You lose us, you lose the word-of-mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by colonelheero View Post
    Don't want to sound rude or "entitled", but frankly, this is plainly not acceptable. Yes it is beta, we take the risk of having bugs here and there, in exchange for the latest feature and potentially help out the product we loved. It feels very irresponsible to invite people to help test your product, roll out a majorly broken beta, and expect people to wait for week(s) for it to be fixed. I'm not undermining the effort to build a good apps, and I understand it will take time to fix everything. But rolling back to a previously stable release should not be difficult, and should be considered your (not you specifically, but BP collectively) top priority at this point.

I have already returned to .18 so whatever you do here isn't going to impact me personally. But the longer it drags on, the more you are going to alienate your beta testers, if not the general user-base as a whole. Remember we are likely your best promoters out there. We are all watching how this thing go. You lose us, you lose the word-of-mouth.
    Amen to this! I literally just rebuilt my entire BeyondPod feed two weeks ago (for my own reasons, unrelated to any issue with BP) and it took forever. I really, really don't want to have to delete this beta release, reinstall the last stable release and then rebuild yet again. Like so many others have said already, this isn't an issue of some minor bugs that need to be fixed. This is a *MAJORLY BROKEN* release. I am also a long time paid subscriber who has recommended this app to dozens and dozens of people over the years. I would really like to see BP release an update that would give the affected beta users the option of "upgrading" to the last stable release, rather than having to manually do it all. If it's not done by the weekend, I'll just have to give up and do it myself. That or see how MediaMonkey works for podcasts, I've been happy with the way they handle music, so maybe it's time to give them a try for podcasts as well.

What I do know is if I have to manually do all this work again, at the very least I will no longer be a beta tester. It just won't be worth it after dealing with this dumpster fire of an update. I am very disappointed in BeyondPod right now.

I will note that inexplicably, beta 19 is still up for download. Why? Who is in charge of this?