Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.2.19 --> 4.2.18 downgrade was easier than I thought.

Lightbulb 4.2.19 --> 4.2.18 downgrade was easier than I thought.

YMMV, but I managed to do the downgrade without uninstalling, having to re-download, or rebuild anything.

1. Disable Auto-Update for BeyondPod in the Play Store to prevent it automatically upgrading back to 4.2.19.
      1. Open Play Store.
      2. Open the BeyondPod screen.
      3. Tap the "..." menu in the upper right corner.
      4. Deselect the "Auto-Update" checkbox.
    2. Download the 4.2.18 apk to a computer with adb installed (Not to the phone/tablet).
      1. http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/Be....aspx?v=4.2.18
    3. Open a terminal, go to the directory where the file was downloaded and use adb to install over top of the existing app.
      1. adb install -r -d BeyondPod_4_2_18.apk
      2. The "-r" allows installing an apk over an existing installed app.
      3. The "-d" allows installing an older version an app over top of an existing version without removing the existing databases and files.
    4. Open BeyondPod, rejoice that it is not broken.
      1. You may want to re-check your settings and stuff, but for me, everything was working the way it was before 4.2.18 darkened my door.

FWIW, the lack of response to fix the utterly-disastrous 4.2.19, makes me very pessimistic going forward.
    I'd recommend staying on 4.2.18 until the sentiments in this form indicate a new Beta os out that is not a flaming hot mess of awful. ... and even then, I'd wait a few days at least just in case. It is not worth going through that again.

The downgrade seems to have been entirely consequence free. Going great ever since I did this. Highly recommend.

Great tutorial

Even with the flag it doesn't work for me. I'm getting this error message:
    Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE]

Any ideas how to fix this? (I tried to google a solution, but didn't find one)

Btw, to stay on that version and enable auto updates again just unenroll from the beta through the play store. You'll be in a newer version than the public release so it can't upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Tichy View Post
    Even with the flag it doesn't work for me. I'm getting this error message:
    I have the same problem. Searching online says that I should be able to uninstall the existing version (uninstall -k, to leave the data behind), but that doesn't seem to work either. After the uninstall, I don't see BeyondPod (as expected), but trying to install the older version still gives me the INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE, so it seems like it's still there somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by adamlopresto View Post
    Searching online says that I should be able to uninstall the existing version (uninstall -k, to leave the data behind), but that doesn't seem to work either. After the uninstall, I don't see BeyondPod (as expected), but trying to install the older version still gives me the INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE, so it seems like it's still there somehow.
    i had to do this:
    Code:
    adb shell
    pm uninstall -k mobi.beyondpod
    exit
    *restart phone* and then:
    Code:
    adb install -r -d BeyondPod_4_2_18.apk
    still have all my feeds and downloaded episodes. all settings back to normal...i think. only had to rebuild my current playlist

FWIW, I see in the adb help that the -d flag indicates: allow version code downgrade (debuggable packages only)

Maybe this package isn't debuggable, so downgrade is just impossible?

Uninstalling while keeping data worked. I had to reboot the phone between steps, though:

$ sudo adb shell pm uninstall -k mobi.beyondpod

Success
    $ sudo adb install -r -d BeyondPod_4_2_18.apk
    5007 KB/s (8894644 bytes in 1.734s)

<reboot>

$ sudo adb install -r -d BeyondPod_4_2_18.apk
    4547 KB/s (8894644 bytes in 1.910s)
    Success

The reboot did it! Actually, after rebooting I still got a strange certificate error installing directly with adb from the computer, but I was able to copy the apk to the phone's internal storage, and then adb shell in and pm install from there. Thanks so much! I should have known to try turning it off and turning it on again.