Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4.2.19 --> 4.2.18 downgrade was easier than I thought.

Has BeyondPod fixed their myriad problems that happened with v4.2.19?
    I've been completely avoiding updates after that version, and having had to downgrade to 4.2.18.

+1.
    Likewise. I turned off auto updates after reverting to 4.2.18.
    .... Is it safe yet?

Personally I have had no issues with the last few versions.

Looking at open threads...here are some issues that may apply to you (are they important features to you?)
    -high speed playback produces audio skips on some samsung devices
    -SD card support is troublesome for many still
    -Episode titles show up strange for some users, show a string of numbers instead of name
    -Screen won't shut off automatically for some users
    -Bluetooth won't trigger BP to start playing on connection anymore

Personally I'm only affected by the last one, and none of them are deal breakers for me if they did affect me. Is it perfect? no...but development has progressed well and I need some features of the newer code branch so I'm running the .34 beta

your mileage may vary...make a backup.

Thanks for your reply, and for your research!

Unfortunately, some of those affected me.

Guess I'll stick with v4.2.18, which has no bugs that I've seen.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Personally I have had no issues with the last few versions.

Looking at open threads...here are some issues that may apply to you (are they important features to you?)
    -high speed playback produces audio skips on some samsung devices
    -SD card support is troublesome for many still
    -Episode titles show up strange for some users, show a string of numbers instead of name
    -Screen won't shut off automatically for some users
    -Bluetooth won't trigger BP to start playing on connection anymore

Personally I'm only affected by the last one, and none of them are deal breakers for me if they did affect me. Is it perfect? no...but development has progressed well and I need some features of the newer code branch so I'm running the .34 beta

your mileage may vary...make a backup.

Thank you for this tutorial/idea. My goal over this long weekend was to get my podcast situation back in order, and I think this did the trick.

I already tried out other podcast players before this weekend, none of which hooked me, and was trying to figure out how to completely wipe and re-add subscriptions to see if that improved performance. It hadn't crossed my mind to revert to an older version of BP. I've been experiencing very slow performance for as long as I can remember now, and none of the last umpteenth versions have fixed it. I wouldn't have known what version to revert to and am happy to have stumbled across this post.

Thanks again!

Another plug for this "downgrade." Following the instructions here fixed most of my issues. Pressing "Play" from the widget starts playback immediately instead of freezing or failing entirely. Android Auto integration is much better, and audio does not stop playing if already started when Android Auto starts (my preference). Feed updates and variable speed control work fine. (I listen to most podcasts at 1.1x -- it doesn't change the "feel" much, but I get finished ~10% quicker. I have way more podcasts to listen to than I have time to listen, so this is a plus.

The only thing I can't get to work is that with Oreo and Pie, the "Scheduled Updates" never trigger. I have gotten around this by using Tasker with a "From - Till" profile to trigger an Auto Update early each morning. Currently on Android 9 with a OnePlus 6.
    Last edited by musichem; 01-04-2019 at 11:13 AM.

I swung by here today to check if there had been any updates on bug fixing progress and found this thread.

Just did the downgrade to 4.2.18 and tested it standalone and in my car with AA and everything is working perfectly.

The widget is responsive and the playlist opens when I tap it, my currently playing podcast comes up in AA when it launches without having to do whatever refresh and then choose it from my playlist, no random pausing, and so far I don't see any downsides.

Thank you for posting this. It never occurred to me go to an older version but this has saved this application for me.

Worked for me too thank you, I had to follow swinebird04's details.

I was very close to switching apps. Missing features in other options were the ability to create a feed from a local folder (I sync a folder in Google Drive for downloading one-off mp3 episodes) + handling audiobooks that same way.