Thread: Multi-Part Episodes: Only first is downloaded.

Multi-Part Episodes: Only first is downloaded.

The title about says it all. A couple of my favorite podcasts often split long episodes into two or three named, e.g., "Podcast Episode 105 - 107." This has never been a problem for me with other podcast apps/iTunes, as each has appropriately downloaded a separate mp3 file for each episode (typically with a "Part 1" appended to the end of the title).

Anyone have a workaround for this? I've tried DoggCatcher (because it has this functionality), but find that interface even less-intuitive than BP's. I know this was requested once before, way back when, but I couldn't find anything in the Google Group or this forum.

Thanks in advance!

BeyondPod Team
    Can you post the URLs of couple of the feeds that split their episodes that way. I can take a look if there is something that can be done. There are several different ways that Publishers split episodes - and based on what they use, there could be a a way around it.

Thanks, StefanK! Much appreciated. Here's an example: http://mormonstories.org/339-342-the...r-james-nagel/. Note that the episode is in four parts, each with its own mp3 file. It'd be great if I could drop DoggCatcher and use BP exclusively! Thanks again.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    In the meantime, you could always add DoggCatcher's folder for the feed as a virtual feed in BeyondPod

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    In the meantime, you could always add DoggCatcher's folder for the feed as a virtual feed in BeyondPod
    Interesting idea, juwlz. I'll look around for the virtual feed functionality, but if you can explain it briefly, I'd be most grateful. Thanks much!

BeyondPod Team
    The obscure bit will be the DoggCatcher end, because they give all the folders a number instead of using the feed name.

You'll need a File Manager to determine which folder you want - the podcast files will have names that make it clear what they are (probably along the lines of Podcast_Name_Episode_number_Title - but whatever it is, it'll be easy to spot). You should find them under <sdcard>/DoggCatcher/EpisodeEnclosures/<folder_number>.

Once you've discovered where they are, in BeyondPod Feed View,
    • Add a Feed
    • Choose Import from SD card Folder (near the bottom of the screen)
    • Navigate to and open the DoggCatcher folder, then EpisodeEnclosures
    • Select the folder number that contains the podcasts you want
    • Hit the little + button to the right of the folder name

Change the Feed Name something more obvious than "41" (or whatever the folder number was) - e.g. Mormon Stories Virtual Feed. Select Categories, etc. as normal.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 06-22-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Fix typo

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    The obscure bit will be the DoggCatcher end, because they give all the folders a number instead of using the feed name.

You'll need a File Manager to determine which folder you want - the podcast files will have names that make it clear what they are (probably along the lines of Podcast_Name_Episode_number_Title - but whatever it is, it'll be easy to spot). You should find them under <sdcard>/DoggCatcher/EpisodeEnclosures/<folder_number>....
    Thanks, Julie! Unfortunately, I'm not saving my DoggCatcher (or BP) podcasts out to an SD card, so I'll have to see what my options are without rooting the phone. Many thanks again.

BeyondPod Team
    If you're downloading them at all, they'll be saved somewhere. If you only have internal storage, Android usually treats it as if it was an SD card. (What device are you using?)
    Last edited by juwlz; 06-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    sordomudo11,

I looked at the link you sent. The original feed url (as linked from the site you posted) is: http://mormonstories.org/rss.xml

As far as I can tell, all episodes are listed as separate posts and you should be able to download each one from BeyondPod without having to do anything special.
    Which episodes you can't download (can you give me the episode name)?