Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BeyondPod is streaming downloaded podcasts

BeyondPod is streaming downloaded podcasts

I have been using BeyondPod for a year now. Recently I have been going over my monthly data cap. I have an app that tracks data usage and every time the data shoots up is when I have been playing a downloaded podcast and it shows BeyondPod as the data user. I have been through the BeyondPod settings countless times but I can't fin any setting to block streaming of podcasts. BeyondPod is configured to download on WiFi only and use mobile data is unchecked.

BeyondPod Team
    If the podcast is actually downloaded, BeyondPod does not use the network in any way. Are you sure that the podcast was actually downloaded (and not streamed) - all streamable episodes have a small "broadcast tower" icon in the bottom right corner to distinguish them from the downloaded episodes. You can also show only the "downloaded" episodes by selecting the "Downloaded" filter from the bottom right toolbar on both "Episodes" or "Feed" screens.

I always have feeds set to show "downloaded" only. I could be wrong (I will have to investigate further) but It feels like this only happens when I play half an episode one day then go back to play it at a later time - say the next day. I have seen the streaming icon pop up on episodes I go back to play later - even when I am in the show downloaded filter. I do not have any sort of podcast/feed clean up rules set. Nothing should be getting deleted - the progress bar still shows where I left off on the episode. After a podcast is complete I have it set to "do nothing".

When I click on download episode (when not on wifi) I get a warning asking me if I am sure I want to download without wifi. It might be helpful to have a preference to get this warning before streaming (if not outright blocking it with the preference checked). I believe there is some sort of glitch going on here, but at least I could prevent the data usage with a preference like this.

I have done some more research. I purposely streamed some episodes that had never been downloaded. A new process has popped up in my data logging app. This new process is called "Streaming Media" This process is completely different than the process called "BeyondPod". Every time I stream a podcast "Streaming Media" logs more megabytes. The BeyondPod process shows only 679kb usage for today even after "Streaming Media" logged over 100MB. Why is BeyondPod using up 40-70MB of random data every day or 2 when I have "use mobile data" unchecked?

BeyondPod Team
    I am not sure - if "Mobile Data" is unchecked, BeyondPod will use only WiFi (it will actively refuse to update or terminate the mobile connection). What we have seen in some rare cases is the Android networking get confused and fails to switch from WiFi to Mobile or back - with both WiFi and Mobile connection going at the same (it should normally have either one or the other). In this case, when BeyondPod checks if the connection is WiFi, Android returns that it is so BeyondPod continues with the update/download, but the traffic actually goes over the mobile connection.
    Again any updates occur only if there is a scheduled or manual update. If you don't have any updates, BeyondPod should not use any data. It will also not do any network connections when playing downloaded podcasts.

I have been following my data usage closely for the last few days. Without a doubt BeyondPod is using data that it shouldn't be. I am using "My Data Manager" to track data usage. I have Beyond Pod set to update feeds at 2:30 AM on Wifi only and downloads around 400MBs of data on Wifi. Every day I check BeyondPod Data usage for the current day at 7:30 AM and the usage for Beyond pod is around 100K. From 8:00 AM on I am not on Wifi and Wifi is not even enabled on my phone. Once I start playing downloaded podcasts Beyondpod starts using random amounts of data. I have confirmed that this data usage is not from streaming podcast as when I purposely click on a non downloaded podcast a new process called "Streaming Media" begins racking up MBs. I don't see how the Android OS could be getting confused on how to handle a downloaded podcast when Wifi is not even enabled and the streaming service isn't using data.

BeyondPod Team
    I can't think of what can be using data while playing a downloaded episode. I installed "My Data Manager" to see what it is reporting. One thing that I does show as usage is the HTML content in Episode Notes. If you start paging through post content/episode notes of a feed, any images (and whatever else is linked in them) is counted as data usage (which is correct). If you happen to read episode notes or read text posts that may explain the usage (for example I paged through 10 posts of Gizmodo and generated about 4mb of traffic from the images in the posts).

If playing downloaded episodes somehow uses data, I am unaware of it (the actual playback occurs in the Android Player - BeyondPod just gives it the path to the file on the SD card). I will run some tests over the next couple of days to see if there is any data used during playback of downloaded episodes.

Thanks for looking into it. I am NOT looking at any pages or additional descriptions from within BeyondPod. The only other thing I can think of is that My Data Manager is somehow faulty in it's tracking. I also tether to a PC all day but that is also tracked with this app and is always the highest data usage. I read in the FAQ that any data that it is unable to track to a specific app or process is assigned to Streaming Media but that still does not explain how BeyondPod is tracking data used. I will send the app developer a note asking if there is any possibility that it's information regarding BeoyondPod could be wrong (other than if it is off on the exact amount or not).

One other thing to note is that I use Presto to speed up episodes. I don't know if this app could be causing the problem somehow.

BeyondPod Team
    I can't think of any reason Presto using data but at this point anything is a suspect. For BeyondPod, Presto is treated as "external" player - it gets the file to play and does its own playback. The interaction between Presto and BeyondPod is a bit unusual - BeyondPod is the "main" process that starts the "Presto" process that is actually doing the background work. That interaction can theoretically may cause the data to be miss classified, but you can easily test that by temporarily disable Presto in settings. Hopefully "My Data Manager" developers can shed some light on how they attribute data to processes.

Also, do you use Goggle Reader integration by any chance - it may cause some data traffic (usually only a several KB when doing back end syncs).
    How much traffic do you usually see that is attributed to BeyondPod during playback?