Thread: Bluetooth controls issue

Bluetooth controls issue

I a problem where if I start the podcast using the touch screen (though the BT headset is connected), when the screen times out the BT pause/play controls won't work. But if I pause it with the BT controls, then turn off the screen, I can pause/play using the controls.

I also find that the timer doesn't seem to work. I'll set it for 45 minutes as I'm falling asleep, but when I wake up it's played through all the podcasts on the playlist which might be 2-3 hours worth. It doesn't seem to happen all the time and I haven't yet figured out the details but I think it's also when I use BT to start the playing.

I'm not using Presto and am running a stock, non-rooted, Droid Razr and the LG HBS 700 headset.

Btw, I love the new UI! It's so streamlined and easier to navigate. I find it to be much more intuitive. Thanks.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    I a problem where if I start the podcast using the touch screen (though the BT headset is connected), when the screen times out the BT pause/play controls won't work. But if I pause it with the BT controls, then turn off the screen, I can pause/play using the controls.
    I think that's probably a function of the player (and possibly handset-dependent), rather than a BP issue.

I also find that the timer doesn't seem to work. I'll set it for 45 minutes as I'm falling asleep, but when I wake up it's played through all the podcasts on the playlist which might be 2-3 hours worth. It doesn't seem to happen all the time and I haven't yet figured out the details but I think it's also when I use BT to start the playing.
    You could use catlog to capture what happened next time it does, and send the log to support@beyondpod.mobi

The other obvious question to ask (and of course, it's probably one you won't be able to answer) is are you sure the timer got set? Did the timer icon update to show the number of minutes remaining?

I have to say that setting the timer to fall asleep to is something that I do regularly, and I haven't had a problem with it. However,
    a) I use a wired headset - well, pillow speakers, actually, and
    b) I have my default Sleep "timer" set to 9999 (play to end of podcast), so usually maually pick one of the other values in the list for falling asleep to - so I'm always sure I've really set the timer.
    (My custom sleep timer setting is 9999, 10, 30 which means by default it'll stop at the end of the current episode, but I can also choose 10 or 30 minutes from the flyout.)

Btw, I love the new UI! It's so streamlined and easier to navigate. I find it to be much more intuitive.
    Nice to hear somebody in favour. Most comments (inevitably) are complaints about it. And I very much agree with you.

Julie

Thanks for your reply, Julie. I'm quite certain that I have the timer set. One of the things I like about the new UI is how easy it is to do that.

I did some experiment with it last night and if I use the touchscreen to start the player, turn off the screen, and only listen to the podcast through the BT headsets, the timer works fine but I can't pause/play with the headset. But (with the screen on) if I start then pause the podcast with the BT, then turn off the screen, then start the podcast with the BT headset, the timer doesn't work, but I can pause/play with the headset. Additionally, if at that point (with the BT controlling the pause/play of the podcast) I get an email notification, the BT control of pause/play "breaks" until I go through the process of turning on the screen, pausing it with the BT, turn off the screen and then the BT controls work again.

With a wired headset there's no problems at all. This is totally a BT issue.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Julie. I'm quite certain that I have the timer set. One of the things I like about the new UI is how easy it is to do that.
    I pushed quite hard for that during the beta test . I wasn't wishing to doubt you - but sometimes it's worth asking the "too obvious" questions.

I did some experiment with it last night and if I use the touchscreen to start the player, turn off the screen, and only listen to the podcast through the BT headsets, the timer works fine but I can't pause/play with the headset. But (with the screen on) if I start then pause the podcast with the BT, then turn off the screen, then start the podcast with the BT headset, the timer doesn't work, but I can pause/play with the headset. Additionally, if at that point (with the BT controlling the pause/play of the podcast) I get an email notification, the BT control of pause/play "breaks" until I go through the process of turning on the screen, pausing it with the BT, turn off the screen and then the BT controls work again.

With a wired headset there's no problems at all. This is totally a BT issue.
    OK. That explains why I'm not seeing the issue - I use a Bluetooth hands free in the car for listening, but I also have it charging at the same time, and keep the screen on. And I try not to fall asleep while I'm listening in the car!!

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    How Bluetooth controls work depends to some degree on the device itself (manufacturer) and on what other apps - like music players - that can be controlled by Bluetooth are installed on the device. When a Bluetooth button is pressed there is a somewhat of a race between the apps which one to get the button and sometimes apps get in each other's way. I personally use BeyondPod with Bluetooth exclusively and have not seen this issue (regardless if the screen is on or off). One thing you can try is to see if there are any other apps that may do anything with Bluetooth and try temporarily uninstalling to see if that makes any difference.

But (with the screen on) if I start then pause the podcast with the BT, then turn off the screen, then start the podcast with the BT headset, the timer doesn't work
    A also nave not seen the issue with the sleep timer not working (but I don't use it very often). I tried the same experiment and in my case it did stop correctly, so I am really not sure what may be going on.
    To eliminate (or confirm) the Bluetooth issue, can you try the same set of experiment with a wired headset (with play/pause buttons) if you have one. For BeyondPod (and most other apps) they behave in exactly the same way (e.g. BeyondPod does not internally make any distinction between the two).

Most all of the time BeyondPod is the only thing the BT is used with. Occasionally I will use it with Play Music which I can't uninstall to test your theory.

I did some more experiment which may or may not be useful. I started by unpairing the LG HBS 700 headset and then re-pairing, just in case there was any issue with a past pairing. This seems to have fixed any timer issues so my problem is only with the controls and even there I think I've found a workaround.

If I had the screen on and started the podcast using the BT, the controls (pause/play) worked fine until the screen timed out. Once the screen timed out, the controls did did not work.

If I started the player with the BT and then manually turned off the screen, the controls did not work.

However, if I manually turned off screen with the player not playing, the controls work fine and will start and pause the podcast.

I don't know why this would be, but it's not problem as long as I develop a habit to manually turn off the screen with BeyondPod open, but not playing.

Thanks for your help and advice. It's great to have a support forum where people are so helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    How Bluetooth controls work depends to some degree on the device itself (manufacturer) and on what other apps - like music players - that can be controlled by Bluetooth are installed on the device. When a Bluetooth button is pressed there is a somewhat of a race between the apps which one to get the button and sometimes apps get in each other's way. I personally use BeyondPod with Bluetooth exclusively and have not seen this issue (regardless if the screen is on or off). One thing you can try is to see if there are any other apps that may do anything with Bluetooth and try temporarily uninstalling to see if that makes any difference.
    I think that's what is happening to me. I have my GS2 / ICS in my car attached to my Ford Sync. When a call comes in, or i switch to radio, BP would typically pause, and then resume when the call was over, or I switched back to 'user device'.

It now seems to be a crapshoot whether BP will pause or resume - sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Many times I find that BP has continued to play the podcast I was listening to before my phone rang, right through the call. This is obviously a pain because I then have to seek back and try to find the spot where it should have paused for me.

I have just started using BPs built-in player as the default player for my podcasts - I was using an external player due to pre-ICS issues where it would stop playing and deliver a playback error. Those issues seem to have gone away, but I appear to have this new issue.

Is there any resolution? I want to be able to play either podcasts or music through my cars bluetooth - and furthermore to have them function as expected.

Would a BP3.0 beta download give me any joy with this?

Thanks.... and mostly an OUTSTANDING product.

BeyondPod Team
    You can try playing with "Pause on Notification" and "Resume After Call" (both in BeyondPod's Player Settings) sometimes there cold be is a conflict with other installed apps and changing some of those settings resolves it. Unfortunately there is no good way to make it "just work" - there are several moving pieces all outside of BeyondPod control and only if all work together the end result is reliable. As I mentioned I use it almost exclusively in my car over Bluetooth and it all works correctly for me - pause/resume on call and notifications (I use Galaxy Nexus that doesn't have any vendor specific "enhancements" to get in the way).