Thread: Why are backups deleted?

Thumbs up Why are backups deleted?

Wow, congratulations to the great developer who integrated this great feature which deletes the created backup file while reinstalling beyondpod!

#angry!

If you "reinstalled" by uninstalling BeyondPod and then installing it again and your backups were in the BeyondPod folder, then your method of reinstallation is what most likely caused your problem.

When uninstalling an app, Android automatically deletes all of files stored in the app's folder tree. Android's rational is that if you delete an application, then you no longer need any of the application's stuff. And if you don't need the stuff, why leave it on your device and/or SD card taking up valuable space. The notable exception being yours, when you intend to reinstall the app sometime again in the future it would be nice to keep the files but it is not currently a choice Android gives you. In BeyondPod's case, Android's automatic uninstall cleanup means you would lose all backups and/or downloaded podcasts that are stored anywhere in the BeyondPod folder. I'm pretty sure BeyondPod actually warns you about this scenario when choosing the backup and download podcast folders, which is the best they can do since they can't control what Android does. Anyhow, I believe this is what happened to you.

Because of this Android clean-up functionality, I save/send my backups to Google Drive so I have them if I ever do uninstall BeyondPod or the more likely event of an SD card failure or something worse happens to my device. Alternatively, you could save your backups someplace on your device or SD card that is outside of the BeyondPod folder so they are not automatically deleted if you uninstall BeyondPod in the future. Root may be required for this latter option, I'm not sure off-hand.

If you wanted to "start clean" without uninstalling/reinstalling BeyondPod, then go to your device settings, choose applications, find BeyondPod, and then choose "clear data" (not "clear cache"). This will erase all settings for the app and essentially make it behave as if it is a brand new, fresh install--but has the benefit that it will not erase any saved files, like your backups. You then have the option of restoring a previously made settings backup.

In any event, I'm sorry you lost your settings.

--James
    Last edited by samej71; 03-28-2018 at 06:06 PM. Reason: clarification

The best solution would be for the developers to use the built in android backup functionality from Play Services....but we'll see if that ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    The best solution would be for the developers to use the built in android backup functionality from Play Services
    I wholeheartedly agree. That would be an excellent feature.

In the meantime, I'd request that BeyondPod default to backing up outside of the app folder tree so that if the app is deleted, it doesn't get blown away. From a user experience perspective, it seems silly to back up files in the same areas as core files--we wouldn't suggest that to anyone who is wanting to backup their files for safe keeping.

Your suggestion to upload them to a cloud service, and the ability to do so, was a life-saver for me.
    Last edited by srish; 06-02-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srish View Post
    Your suggestion to upload them to a cloud service, and the ability to do so, was a life-saver for me.
    I got almost got burned by this "feature" too.

I was uninstalling and reinstalling to try to resolve some problems I've been having with the latest version. After reinstalling and trying to restore the backup I just made, I was very surprised to see the entire default Backup folder had been deleted. Luckily I had exported a recent backup (which I have been doing with my backups and OPML files since the app has gotten rather flaky lately).

If this is the expected Android behavior then the developers should default to storing the backups somewhere else and/or make it very clear to the user that backups need to be exported for safety because backups will be deleted upon uninstalling the app. Leaving people to discover this on their own is really not user-friendly.