Thread: Automatic Playlist using Sort

Automatic Playlist using Sort

I'm running into a weird issue with the Automatic Playlist setting. I have a RSS feed that releases three episodes a day, and they are released in "chronological order". E.g. When sorted by Latest the first episode is #3, second is #2, third is #1. When I play the #1 episode and the sort is set to Latest, the playlist created by Automatic Playlist goes DOWN the list instead of UP and I get the #1 episode from today and #3 from yesterday and so on. When I set it to Oldest and click that #1 episode, the Automatic Playlist is PERFECT, except that I now have to scroll past all the old episodes to get to the current episode and refreshing the list is a real pain. Is there any way that this can be fixed or at least provide the option to invert/reverse how Automatic Playlist is generated for a feed?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by theit8514 View Post
    I'm running into a weird issue with the Automatic Playlist setting. I have a RSS feed that releases three episodes a day, and they are released in "chronological order". E.g. When sorted by Latest the first episode is #3, second is #2, third is #1. When I play the #1 episode and the sort is set to Latest, the playlist created by Automatic Playlist goes DOWN the list instead of UP and I get the #1 episode from today and #3 from yesterday and so on. When I set it to Oldest and click that #1 episode, the Automatic Playlist is PERFECT, except that I now have to scroll past all the old episodes to get to the current episode and refreshing the list is a real pain. Is there any way that this can be fixed or at least provide the option to invert/reverse how Automatic Playlist is generated for a feed?
    You can use the SmartPlaylist option where you can choose the rules for how the playlist is built.

http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...with-smartplay

One thing you should check is in the Settings > Playlist Settings, check the "Auto Rebuild SmartPlay"

Without this, when a feed updates it will throw episodes into the playlist in a very strange order. With this checked it will rebuild the playlist after something is downloaded and apply the correct ordering.

If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to let us know your exact playlist building settings to help you more.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've honestly never seen the Smart Playlist option there. I set up a Smart Playlist to pull the last 3 episodes from that feed. Unfortunately, it adds the episodes always in the same order regardless of what Sort is set: 3, 2, 1, not 1, 2, 3. An example is the public feed Planet Money (http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=510289). The same results happen: Ep #454 from 16th, ep #830 from 14th, and ep #829 from 9th get added in that order and start playing from #454 going backwards in time. If there was a way to invert the playlist generated by Smart Playlist this would work perfectly, but changing the Sort on this feed doesn't change the order that the items are added to the playlist.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by theit8514 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've honestly never seen the Smart Playlist option there. I set up a Smart Playlist to pull the last 3 episodes from that feed. Unfortunately, it adds the episodes always in the same order regardless of what Sort is set: 3, 2, 1, not 1, 2, 3. An example is the public feed Planet Money (http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=510289). The same results happen: Ep #454 from 16th, ep #830 from 14th, and ep #829 from 9th get added in that order and start playing from #454 going backwards in time. If there was a way to invert the playlist generated by Smart Playlist this would work perfectly, but changing the Sort on this feed doesn't change the order that the items are added to the playlist.
    You would have to set your SmartPlaylist rule to pull the "Oldest" 'X' amount episodes of Planet Money (Or whichever podcast). You may have to go through and delete some of the way older ones from the playlist that it may to get to your current ones, depending on how many you have set to download and keep. But when I just set it that way, I am able to have my SmartPlaylist play #829 then #830 then #454.

Just for reference, these are my feed settings and SmartPlay settings for "Planet Money":

Feed Settings>>

Episode Downloads: Download latest episodes (I have it set to download 6 and keep at most 6)

Advanced Settings (Just for this feed)>>

Feed Post Sort Order: Newest on Top (So in "All Episodes" under Planet Money, newest episode will show first)
    Sort Local Episodes by: Oldest (In "My Episodes" under Planet Money, the oldest {of my 6 to keep from above} will show first)

For SmartPlay List for Planet Money>>

Rule: Play the Oldest --- 6 Episodes-- from Planet Money

You will see in my screen shot it plays #827(Feb 28) then #828(March 2) then #677(March 7) then #829(March 9) then #830(March 14) then #454(March 16).
    Screenshot_20180320-125934.jpg

Hope this helps!

Somewhat on topic: I wish there was a smart playlist sort option for "episode title". Some of my podcasts will re-release old episodes, so if I sort chronologically I get things like #129, #130, #105, #131 but I'd really like it to always play in sequence like #105, #129, #130, #131. There is no smart playlist sort option for this... yet (fingers crossed)

Episode title sort is a good idea (at least for some podcasts)!
    Last edited by jhonen; 03-28-2018 at 11:17 PM.