Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4.2.30 update problems

4.2.30 update problems

I'm on a stock Galaxy S8 with the latest Oreo version.

Just got upgraded today. I am now unable to update my feeds. I pull down the screen to update, and it doesn't give the usual visual feedback that an update is happening. Sometimes it will leave a notification that says "Preparing for update" or something like that for a few minutes just sitting there. It doesn't update feeds or download episodes. The "View Update Log" button doesn't do anything either.

Also the update seems to have messed with my database. All feed pictures are gone. A few episodes still have pictures.

I tried force closing BeyondPod and restarting the phone.

I'm disappointed that after all this time, this is the update that gets pushed.
    Last edited by joeTaco; 04-13-2018 at 07:00 PM.

And I've got an issue where most of my feeds can't update because it suggests an authorization was lost trying to write to the SD card. Any chance I can revert to an earlier version?

I have the same problem with the 4.2.30 update as LCData1701 (permission error claimed on uSD, permission is granted) and as JoeTaco in that many of my feed icons have reverted to blank. The error I get is:

"Oops... Something is not right!

"BeyondPod was granted a permission to access your storage card, but for some reason still can't write to it.

"Try restarting your device.

"OK"

I did, of course, restart: no change. I also added/removed permission. I also noticed I couldn't save a backup to my sdcard, but I could save it to internal storage. My phone: Huawei Mate8 EMUI 5.0/Android 7.0/Kernel 4.1.18

Before I take the time to unencrpt, remove the card, copy all the data off, reformat, restore the data, reencrypt, etc. - and probably find the problem isn't resolved: is there a better solution? Like reverting to the previous version?

Quote Originally Posted by gessel View Post
    Before I take the time to unencrpt, remove the card, copy all the data off, reformat, restore the data, reencrypt, etc. - and probably find the problem isn't resolved: is there a better solution? Like reverting to the previous version?
    I think I figured out the solution. It works now!

1. BeyondPod > Settings > General Settings

2. Podcast Download Folder > go through all the prompts & warnings to move the folder. Mine was set to "external SD" and that's where I want my podcasts, so I clicked "external SD", as if I was telling it to move my podcasts from external SD to external SD.

3. Now it works!

I'm only unsure of this because I had already downgraded to 4.2.18 without success, but I assume the process above will work for 4.2.30 as well.

So that's the short term solution. Long term solution is to find a podcast app with owners that give a rat's ass about it.

Quote Originally Posted by joeTaco View Post
    So that's the short term solution. Long term solution is to find a podcast app with owners that give a rat's ass about it.
    It's sad seeing this once-best-of-class app fall into such a poorly managed state. After experiencing the mess of the beta, and now reading about the problems with the new update to the regular version, all of my trust in BeyondPod is gone. I'm sticking with 4.2.18 until I find an app that better meets my needs.

JoeTaco - thanks, this seemed to help, but then I had a whole cascade of secondary problems emerge somewhat unexpectedly. This might be merely coincident, but things like wifi problems, refusing to accept the lock screen password to reset the network stack, etc. Strange and suspect, certainly could just be storage corruption that a wipe and rebuild would fix perhaps exposed by the 5GB transfer of data moving storage back to SD (apparently) required. I didn't revert to 4.2.18, so it seems that your method works for 4.2.30. If nobody else has any additional weird problems, then that unfortunate experience is specific to my phone.

I've got a stock Samsung S7 running Nougat and I have the same problems as gessel since I've updated.

Hairy Ape: if you mean the "try restarting your device" error, Joe Taco's advice worked for me. I noticed I was getting a lot of confirm this or that setting notices "never ask again?" which suggest the update wiped out some defaults. Checking the default location for new podcasts, it had moved to "internal" rather than "external" where I had set it previously. Moving it back to "external" triggered a 5.6GB data copy(? - I'm on EDGE here, there's no way on earth 5.6GB of data was downloaded, but whatever). That brought back my podcast archives, restored icons, and basically got the program working again.

At the same time, suspiciously concurrently (but correlation is not causation), my device got very unhappy: desktop lost organization, wifi stopped working, unlock password not accepted in config->Advanced settings->Backup and reset->Network settings reset. Fixing that required downloading ADB command line, enabling USB debugging, issuing the "adb reboot recovery" (you can search on this term to find good tutorials), which let me erase the system cache (typically one of three "recovery options" displayed on the screen after rebooting in recovery (BTW, the hold down vol/up vol down/power key combo during reboot did not work in this state), which then let me reset the network config settings via config path above (it wasn't taking my unlock password before the cache delete), and after that wifi worked again and I was able to reorganize my desktop back the way it was. Tedious, perhaps related to the update, perhaps not. But everything seems normal now.

Quote Originally Posted by joeTaco View Post
    I think I figured out the solution. It works now!

1. BeyondPod > Settings > General Settings

2. Podcast Download Folder > go through all the prompts & warnings to move the folder. Mine was set to "external SD" and that's where I want my podcasts, so I clicked "external SD", as if I was telling it to move my podcasts from external SD to external SD.

3. Now it works!

I'm only unsure of this because I had already downgraded to 4.2.18 without success, but I assume the process above will work for 4.2.30 as well.

This seemed to work for me, although even though it "moved" the podcasts, I still wound up having to re-download the episodes that were newer & then some other older episodes just showed up randomly that I had to delete. Not the worst thing in the world certainly, but better than not being able to download most of my feeds at all.

Hairy Ape: if you mean the "try restarting your device" error, Joe Taco's advice worked for me. I noticed I was getting a lot of confirm this or that setting notices "never ask again?" which suggest the update wiped out some defaults. Checking the default location for new podcasts, it had moved to "internal" rather than "external" where I had set it previously. Moving it back to "external" triggered a 5.6GB data copy(? - I'm on EDGE here, there's no way on earth 5.6GB of data was downloaded, but whatever). That brought back my podcast archives, restored icons, and basically got the program working again.

At the same time, suspiciously concurrently (but correlation is not causation), my device got very unhappy: desktop lost organization, wifi stopped working, unlock password not accepted in config->Advanced settings->Backup and reset->Network settings reset. Fixing that required downloading ADB command line, enabling USB debugging, issuing the "adb reboot recovery" (you can search on this term to find good tutorials), which let me erase the system cache (typically one of three "recovery options" displayed on the screen after rebooting in recovery (BTW, the hold down vol/up vol down/power key combo during reboot did not work in this state), which then let me reset the network config settings via config path above (it wasn't taking my unlock password before the cache delete), and after that wifi worked again and I was able to reorganize my desktop back the way it was. Tedious, perhaps related to the update, perhaps not. But everything seems normal now.