Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Audio Distortion at 2x Speed in 4.2.30

I'm just curious if this has been fixed yet.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ddellis914 View Post
    I'm just curious if this has been fixed yet.
    As far as I know the developers are still working on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    As far as I know the developers are still working on this issue.
    Thanks for letting us know. I was about to ask for an update myself. I like Pocket Casts well enough (might even end up suggesting some of their features) but I'm still pretty eager to get back to BeyondPod once this is fixed.

I know it's unlikely you guys would give up on fixing this, but with an app like this that's used on a daily basis a few weeks of silence can feel like an eternity. Even a non-update update like this is still a nice reminder that we haven't been forgotten and that it's still a concern to the developers.

I share this sentiment.. I may be primarily using a different app since .30 was promoted, but I would love to see an actually stable release that I feel like I could switch back to..

The distortion is still an issue for me in .32.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by HCpE View Post
    The distortion is still an issue for me in .32.
    The developers are still looking into finding a fix for this. We are unable to reproduce distortion on our end but there are a lot of users that are having this issue so they are still working on this.

Created an account just to reiterate what everyone has been saying. This is a huge disappointment. Is there a way to load a new external player which doesn't have the issue? What are the steps for testing a beta version that possibly has a fix. Is there a way to revert to an older version of the app that doesn't have this issue.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by mrorange View Post
    Created an account just to reiterate what everyone has been saying. This is a huge disappointment. Is there a way to load a new external player which doesn't have the issue? What are the steps for testing a beta version that possibly has a fix. Is there a way to revert to an older version of the app that doesn't have this issue.
    You can find previous versions of BP here:
    http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/betachanges.htm

The developers have not found a solution to the crackling yet but they are currently working on this for the next release.

Audio issues when listening to sped-up audio when phone screen goes off (v4.2.30)

I've recently "upgraded" my phone from a Sony X Compact to a Sony XZ1 Compact. Since the upgrade, i'm having a very annoying issue with BeyondPod. I'm blaming the phone on this one, sort of, but I'm hoping you guys can do something about this.

The problem is that, if I'm listening to a podcast sped up (this generally starts at around 2x or higher), when the phone screen goes off, I start getting a lot of distortion on the sound. As soon as I turn the screen back on, the problem goes away. If I lower the speed to 1.5x, it also works fine. This seems to happen with every podcast that I speed up.

You can hear this here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg25enwxg5...oblem.m4a?dl=0

I recorded this by playing the podcast, at 3x (this is an actual speed I use for this podcast, it wasn't just to prove a point), over the phone speaker, and recording it with my laptop mic. Sorry for the crappy sound quality. I start with the screen on, and I announce when I turn the screen off / on again. You can clearly hear the distortion in the sound, starting almost immediately as soon as I turn off the screen.

My hypothesis is that when the screen goes off, Android somehow sends the process to the background / gives it less CPU / priority, and since BeyondPod probably uses more CPU when the audio is sped up (and presumably the higher the speed up factor, the more CPU it needs), it's not enough and it's start distorting / skipping.

The weird thing here is that the new phone should have more CPU power than the previous one, so this shouldn't be happening. It may have something to do with the fact that it's definitely a different version of Android, somehow. While both phones are in 8.0.0, this new phone doesn't let me run the Google Now Launcher, where the previous one did, so at least something is different there...

Relevant data:
    - This happens with Bluetooth Speakers or with the Phone Speaker, it doesn't seem to be about the speakers themselves / the connection with headphones.
    - BeyondPod v4.2.30
    - Sonic Player is on, Presto is off. I've tried all 4 combinations of these settings, they all seem to have the same problem.
    - Phone is a Sony XZ1 Compact (Model G8441)
    - Android version 8.0.0 (patch April 1, 2018). Kernel version: 4.4.78perf+. March 16th 2018 13:02:59. Build Number: 47.1.A.12.145
    - I don't see anything in the "battery / power" settings that I could toggle to make it change behaviour when the screen is off. "Stamina Mode" (sony's battery saver thing) is completely off.

Have you seen this happen before?
    Is there anything you guys can do about this? (like maybe request a higher priority for your background process?)
    Is there anything I can do about this?

Thank you for making an amazing product! Keep up the good work!
    Daniel

I got tired of this issue so I uninstalled BeyondPod and went for a different podcast app. I decided to go with Podcast Addict (great app) I am experiencing the same problem with distorted audio when the screen is off. So maybe somehow this is an android issue. I'm not really sure but I thought this info would help.

Also tell your developers if they want to recreate this issue for themselves listen to a podcast on 2x the speed, and put the screen to sleep, they should be able to hear the distorted audio.
    Last edited by Smpunk420; 05-24-2018 at 07:25 AM.