Thread: Your release process is abysmal and needs to be reassessed. 4.2.30 is public release?

Your release process is abysmal and needs to be reassessed. 4.2.30 is public release?

Dear Developers (if you even read this forum):

You really, really don't seem to show the same care and discipline in your release protocols as the previous team! It's like night and day, so it's incredibly obvious that ownership changed.

I was a beta tester for years and deliberately took myself off your beta list after the recent beta release debacle. Now the 4.2.30 release feels like it was never adequately tested before going public. Did anyone bother to check whether your changes to the Android Wear module were working correctly? (See my posting on that topic.)

You're harming the confidence of users by rushing out releases. I'm seriously considering uninstalling and going back to 4.2.16, which seems to have been the last reliable public release. But I also must contemplate adopting a different podcast app-- and recommending alternatives to people who seek my advice.

If you really want to do more frequent public releases than the previous team, then how about:
    • sending out test guidance to beta testers?
    • sending out surveys to beta testers before releasing publicly?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Goattee View Post
    Dear Developers (if you even read this forum):

You really, really don't seem to show the same care and discipline in your release protocols as the previous team! It's like night and day, so it's incredibly obvious that ownership changed.

I was a beta tester for years and deliberately took myself off your beta list after the recent beta release debacle. Now the 4.2.30 release feels like it was never adequately tested before going public. Did anyone bother to check whether your changes to the Android Wear module were working correctly? (See my posting on that topic.)

You're harming the confidence of users by rushing out releases. I'm seriously considering uninstalling and going back to 4.2.16, which seems to have been the last reliable public release. But I also must contemplate adopting a different podcast app-- and recommending alternatives to people who seek my advice.

If you really want to do more frequent public releases than the previous team, then how about:
    • sending out test guidance to beta testers?
    • sending out surveys to beta testers before releasing publicly?
    Hello,

I report feedback from the forum to the developers so they do get the information.

We have gone through months and months (no rushing releases) of BETA testing with in house testing, a select group of beta users and then public beta group before we released the latest 4.2.30 version to the public for our production version. The production version that was out before (4.2.16) was becoming increasingly unreliable due to Android Updates so we have been working hard to make sure we could get a new stable version out to our users. But to answer your question, yes there was extensive testing before releasing.

Your other post has been answered as well regarding the Wear Watch notification.

Thanks for addressing my complaint in a dispassionate and timely fashion. Your consistent interaction is a strong point. And an improvement when compared to the previous ownership.

If my criticism was on the harsh side, it's because I'm still smarting from the beta that forced me to rebuild my configuration from scratch. And the nonresponse on this forum was not helping.

I appreciate being able to use my watch properly again and I'm relieved that I probably won't have to uninstall yet again.

I've read literally every post on here since the November Beta fiasco, and during that time I never saw one post about Android Wear or Android Auto issues.

I'll defend Kim on this one, there were 12 betas released (between .18 and .30), I tested nearly every one of them to give feedback. Some were sent privately, some publicly. I think it's just that there are so few android wear users that none of them tried one of the betas. It's unfortunate, and the developers took months to drag their heads out of their asses, but the last few weeks they have REALLY stepped up their game on fixing things quickly and explaining their actions.

I think moving forward we could do a lot worse as far as communication of issues goes (which in November/December I never thought I would say!)

Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    I've read literally every post on here since the November Beta fiasco, and during that time I never saw one post about Android Wear or Android Auto issues.
    You are correct. I apologize if my message left any impression that Android Wear was a longstanding issue. It was not.

This message is a general observation. I was bit hard by a recent beta (as were several others). It was irritating enough that I have repressed the build number. This was the first time in years that a beta scrambled things enough that I had to uninstall and reinstall, download again, etc. OK, beta testers should expect a few bumpy experiences along the way. But nothing quite like that for an incremental release.

I conflated that experience with my frustration after .30. It felt as though BeyondPod had taken over my watch. Thou shalt not conflate. My apologies. I'm not being sarcastic.

Further I note that Kim has been very responsive. In fact communication has been far better than in the past.

I don't know that I'll return to beta testing. But I still say it would help testers to include guidance about particular areas to test. And then to survey testers before public release.

I was bit hard by a recent beta
    No, really?

I conflated that experience with my frustration after .30. It felt as though BeyondPod had taken over my watch. Thou shalt not conflate. My apologies. I'm not being sarcastic.
    That sound you hear is hell freezing over.

I don't know that I'll return to beta testing.
    Oh, no. Whatever will BP do? Is this the end of BP?

I think it's sort of a vicious cycle. After the horrible fiasco that was the Thanksgiving Day Massacre, and the many months of having broken so many people's configuration with no response, they lost a lot of beta testers. I know that's when I stopped. So now, when a new beta comes out, there are a lot fewer people willing to try it out, and so the public release goes out with fewer testers. It's hard to win people back after that. I don't know what to suggest, other than "don't leave a broken beta as the most recent version for months at a time".

I carry two devices. I have used stable/production one on my primary phone and beta on my secondary for quite a while.

While I was very excited to see all of the activity before the .30 promotion, that was the point where I started shopping for alternatives.

I still have prod on primary and beta on secondary, but for the moment neither are stable enough for my daily use.. now it feels like I have two levels of beta.

In the defense of people surprised that .30 was promoted... I'm active here and keep up on the side load beta releases and was surprised/confused when that one was pushed.