Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did the Wear OS app go?

lol, that's one way to spin it...think of the children!

The only thing I noticed broken in .18 is that some of my feeds who switched to HTTPS refused to update. Otherwise it was working perfect on my Nexus running 8.1, that was the only thing that forced me to update. Glad everything worked "ok"

OOF. With Google forcing people to go https, that bug could be a signifcant problem.

I suppose it'd be too much to ask the fine folks at BeyondPod to update .18 with a fix to https and just give it to us as an APK so that we can live our WearOS lives in solitude, pity, and squalor?

Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    lol, that's one way to spin it...think of the children!

The only thing I noticed broken in .18 is that some of my feeds who switched to HTTPS refused to update. Otherwise it was working perfect on my Nexus running 8.1, that was the only thing that forced me to update. Glad everything worked "ok"

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by JonDeutsch View Post
    OOF. With Google forcing people to go https, that bug could be a signifcant problem.

I suppose it'd be too much to ask the fine folks at BeyondPod to update .18 with a fix to https and just give it to us as an APK so that we can live our WearOS lives in solitude, pity, and squalor?
    Unfortunately there will be no updates for a previous version.

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Unfortunately there will be no updates for a previous version.
    Yes, that is quite unfortunate. What can we do to encourage the BP team to re-consider the killing off of Wear support? How much $ would you need to justify investing in bringing it back?

BeyondPod Team
    Yes, that is quite unfortunate. What can we do to encourage the BP team to re-consider the killing off of Wear support? How much $ would you need to justify investing in bringing it back?
    The decision was made based on the very few amount of our users that use BP on Wear so unless the percent of users goes up significantly, I don't think they will bring back Wear Support.

And how is that number going to go up if it's not supported?

The decision was made based on the very few amount of our users that use BP on Wear so unless the percent of users goes up significantly, I don't think they will bring back Wear Support.
    Thanks for the info, KimW. I appreciate you engaging with the community. As the company realizes, there is a small percentage of users who use the Wear app, but we are also paying users.

Who can I raise this issue up to in BP management to have a discussion around the options for those of us who are long-time, loyal customers who now feel like we've backed the wrong horse in Podcast apps? I'm sure they don't want all of us who care about Wear bombarding the Play Store with 1-star reviews because we feel unfairly unsupported.

I don't think we're asking for much, honestly. Just minimal support so that the app (even just .18!) continues to work for us with feeds that use the https standard.

Thx.
    Jon

PS - I'm sure that the % of Wear users overall is small because Wear is not a blow-out success overall in the market. But that was the case when Wear support for BP was introduced many years ago. And it was in part that decision that brought many of us to BP vs. a competing app. Leaving some of us behind now is a definite shift in strategy to abandon some power users, while also embracing power-users with additional features in the app in other ways.

FWIW, I think the idea of "1/2" supporting power users is not a great product strategy. You're either the mainstream pick with uber-simple options, or the power-user pick with all kinds of features for those who desire that power. That latter group are the group that tend to use smartwatches. Leaving some of us behind doesn't feel good to anyone...even to those without Wear smartwatches. Because it sends a signal that perhaps someone else's favorite feature will one day, too, be disabled due to lack of mainstream utilization.

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for the info, KimW. I appreciate you engaging with the community. As the company realizes, there is a small percentage of users who use the Wear app, but we are also paying users.

Who can I raise this issue up to in BP management to have a discussion around the options for those of us who are long-time, loyal customers who now feel like we've backed the wrong horse in Podcast apps? I'm sure they don't want all of us who care about Wear bombarding the Play Store with 1-star reviews because we feel unfairly unsupported.

I don't think we're asking for much, honestly. Just minimal support so that the app (even just .18!) continues to work for us with feeds that use the https standard.

Thx.
    Jon

PS - I'm sure that the % of Wear users overall is small because Wear is not a blow-out success overall in the market. But that was the case when Wear support for BP was introduced many years ago. And it was in part that decision that brought many of us to BP vs. a competing app. Leaving some of us behind now is a definite shift in strategy to abandon some power users, while also embracing power-users with additional features in the app in other ways.

FWIW, I think the idea of "1/2" supporting power users is not a great product strategy. You're either the mainstream pick with uber-simple options, or the power-user pick with all kinds of features for those who desire that power. That latter group are the group that tend to use smartwatches. Leaving some of us behind doesn't feel good to anyone...even to those without Wear smartwatches. Because it sends a signal that perhaps someone else's favorite feature will one day, too, be disabled due to lack of mainstream utilization.
    I have already passed along your feedback to the BP team about Wear Support so they are aware there are users that wish it would still be supported. I don't know that anything will change at this point but they are aware of your concerns.

I have already passed along your feedback to the BP team about Wear Support so they are aware there are users that wish it would still be supported. I don't know that anything will change at this point but they are aware of your concerns.
    Thank you.

Exclamation When you drop a feature, drop it on your website too.

Hello Jon,

Wear support has been dropped with BeyondPod as of the last release v4.2.30.
    On your website _beyondpod.mobi/android/index._ you promote this feature. I would take it off the website if it no longer exists.