Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did the Wear OS app go?

Where did the Wear OS app go?

I used to be able to launch Podcasts from my WearOS device, and now the app seems to have disappeared and no way to get it back on my watch.

Where (Wear?) did it go? How do I get this feature back?
    Thx!
    Jon

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by JonDeutsch View Post
    I used to be able to launch Podcasts from my WearOS device, and now the app seems to have disappeared and no way to get it back on my watch.

Where (Wear?) did it go? How do I get this feature back?
    Thx!
    Jon
    Hello Jon,

Wear support has been dropped with BeyondPod as of the last release v4.2.30.

Where is Wear?

Ummm. That stinks! It was one of my most used features of my Wear OS device!

So strange to drop something that was already there. While basic, the app enabled me to launch and control podcasts from my wrist while in the car. Since it was so basic in functionality, can't I choose to use it with the new version?

It's kind of confounding when new versions of software remove key features.

Are there any work-arounds?

Thx.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Hello Jon,

Wear support has been dropped with BeyondPod as of the last release v4.2.30.

I'll let Kim respond to why it was dropped (I think it was hard to maintain, and few users were using it....cost/benefit for the developers).

You can install old versions as a "workaround". http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/beta/betachanges.htm Personally I'd stick with the .18 release if you want to keep that functionality.

Thanks for the info. Stinks being a power user and then the company you back with your $$ decides you're no longer worth their time. I mean, they could charge $.99 for the add on to monetize for those of us who are power users, Y'know? It doesn't have to be binary on/off.

Anyway, for some reason, I am getting a "app not installed" messages at the end of the installation of .18. Any idea why? My current app is closed and permissions allow 3rd party apps to be installed.

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    I'll let Kim respond to why it was dropped (I think it was hard to maintain, and few users were using it....cost/benefit for the developers).

You can install old versions as a "workaround". http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/beta/betachanges.htm Personally I'd stick with the .18 release if you want to keep that functionality.
    Last edited by JonDeutsch; 04-26-2018 at 11:23 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    Ummm. That stinks! It was one of my most used features of my Wear OS device!

So strange to drop something that was already there. While basic, the app enabled me to launch and control podcasts from my wrist while in the car. Since it was so basic in functionality, can't I choose to use it with the new version?

It's kind of confounding when new versions of software remove key features.

Are there any work-arounds?

Thx.
    Jon
    The percentage of our BeyondPod users that were using Wear was very very minimal so the decision was made to drop support because of the amount of development time it takes to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    The percentage of our BeyondPod users that were using Wear was very very minimal so the decision was made to drop support because of the amount of development time it takes to maintain.
    Arrrrg, this was probably the primary reason I bought a smartwatch. Without this I have to whip out my phone every time I get in the car to get it to make sure it starts playing my podcasts before I drive off. Otherwise it just carries on with whatever random thing I was last listening too, then I'd have to break the law and fiddle with my phone.

Anyway, for some reason, I am getting a "app not installed" messages at the end of the installation of .18. Any idea why? My current app is closed and permissions allow 3rd party apps to be installed.
    Thx!
    Unfortunately you'll need to uninstall your current version, then re-install the .18 version. Or you can follow this guide with a computer and some software: http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...than-I-thought

This is a limitation of Android, and one that frustrates many. As a heads up, it's possible the play store will try to upgrade you to the newest version after you roll back...I haven't done it in a while and can't remember how that all works.

That is a pity - I loved the wear app too I would also pay more to have a wear app. I dont think there is enough funding goes to developers when you pay 1 or 2 and then expect updates / features for life. Pity you cant find a way to fund it.

Thanks! Doing so (via ADB) didn't remove any of my settings or content, so the downgrade went fine. And now I have the WearOS app back! And my phone just got updated to 8.1 and as far as I can tell, all still works as expected.

Turning off app updates from the ... in the BeyondPod screen in the Play Store should stop Play from updating again. This is not ideal, but it's fine as long as everything continues to work like it used to.

Still, a pity that the BeyondPod team isn't a fan of driver safety any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Unfortunately you'll need to uninstall your current version, then re-install the .18 version. Or you can follow this guide with a computer and some software: http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...than-I-thought

This is a limitation of Android, and one that frustrates many. As a heads up, it's possible the play store will try to upgrade you to the newest version after you roll back...I haven't done it in a while and can't remember how that all works.