Thread: What does the notification dot mean?

Question What does the notification dot mean?

Hi!

I've just updated to a new phone, and somehow this one supports "notification dots" in the launcher, while the previous didn't.

Notification dots are normally used by apps to let you know that there's something new to look at (like, new messages received in WhatsApp, for example)

I've noticed that sometimes BeyondPod also shows this notification dot, but it's not entirely clear why...

What is it trying to tell me?
    When does it appear?
    What user action counts as "acknowledging" the news to make it go away?

Note: I'm not asking how to make it go away. I know you can block it from Android's notifications configuration. I'm rather trying to understand the idea behind it so I can know whether it's useful to me.

Thank you!
    Daniel

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by dmagliola View Post
    Hi!

I've just updated to a new phone, and somehow this one supports "notification dots" in the launcher, while the previous didn't.

Notification dots are normally used by apps to let you know that there's something new to look at (like, new messages received in WhatsApp, for example)

I've noticed that sometimes BeyondPod also shows this notification dot, but it's not entirely clear why...

What is it trying to tell me?
    When does it appear?
    What user action counts as "acknowledging" the news to make it go away?

Note: I'm not asking how to make it go away. I know you can block it from Android's notifications configuration. I'm rather trying to understand the idea behind it so I can know whether it's useful to me.

Thank you!
    Daniel
    Hello Daniel,

I have never received a notification dot from BeyondPod on any of my devices and I am not aware of other users (so far) who receive them so I'm not sure why your device shows this. Could you possibly share a screenshot so I can see? Thank you.

I'm using the pixel launcher on my Nexus, it shows notification dots.

Essentially what I've found is any time there is a notification in the tray (like the player in the pull down tray), it will put a dot on the app. If you clear the notification from the tray, it goes away. Another instance would be when you're refreshing or downloading a feed, it will put a dot on the app icon until it's done with that task.

Personally I feel how google implemented this feature in their launcher is kind of worthless, it only shows if there's a notification already existing...so I'm notified twice in two locations?

Thank you for the explanation!

Indeed, that's what it seems to do, and I agree, that's dumb.

Thanks for clearing the mistery!

Daniel