Thread: Getting old episodes

Getting old episodes

I haven't investigated this thoroughly, but I have a podcast to download 5 episodes, latest first. I would think that when I listen to those, it would get older episodes. I have it set to expire episode after 99999 days. But I have to manually download those (unplayed) episodes. Am I missing something?

I believe latest first means the most recent. So it's downloading the 5 most recent podcasts right?

Are you wanting it to go back and download unplayed podcasts older than the 5 most recent? I don't think that's how the logic is intended

Yeah. Let's say I pick up a new podcast. I want to start with the latest episode. But once I listen to that, I want to download the previous episode. Basically, I want to work backwards through the podcast episodes and only keep 1 (or 5) episodes at a time. I haven't figured out a configuration that does this. Or maybe it's not possible?

I have not figured out a way to do that either. Only option I can think of (when I've been in a similar position) is to download them all, then create a smart playlist to play from the latest backwards.

I've just gotten used to manually downloading.

I think what you'd be looking for is an option like "always keep 5 unplayed episodes downloaded" or something?

Yeah, exactly. I was doing the manual download route but I have to remember to do that. Storing all the episodes could run into space issues.

I kind of feel that the download / keep configurations aren't using the full functionality they could. It would be nice if download latest meant downloaded latest unplayed episodes. They setting the keep option to 30 days could limit it for people that didn't want really old episodes.

I agree, I spend a lot of time curating what I have downloaded, it should be more automatic.

Right now it's my Sunday night before bed routine to prune through my feeds and download things.