Thread: BeyondPod on Android 9 - Stops playing after about one minute, repeatedly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BeyondPod on Android 9 - Stops playing after about one minute, repeatedly

Upgraded to Android on my Pixel 2 to version 9 (Pie), now BeyondPod has a problem rendering it unusable.
    I am using BeyondPod 4.2.34
    After playing a podcast for about one minute, it stops playing.
    Through bluetooth in my car, I have to open the app and press Play to continue for one more minute, then it stops again.
    Using my Pixel Buds, it does not respond to the single tap to start playing again. I have to open the app on my phone and press Play to continue for one more minute, then it stops again.
    I have tried Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts, and they do not exhibit this issue in my car or on the Pixel Buds.
    Last edited by Greg; 08-15-2018 at 02:37 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    Hello Greg,

We did have a couple of other users report this as well and after some research, it looks like the new adaptive battery feature in the new Android version (Pie) was flagging BeyondPod as using too much battery in the background. After manually whitelisting BeyondPod on the device, the issue disappears, so please try doing that as a solution for now.

Our developers are going to see if there is anything they can do in the code to work with the new Android Pie version but for now, the above will fix the issue.

Kim,

I removed BeyondPod from the "Use Adaptive Battery" list (it was the only app there), and BeyondPod is back in operation.

FYI : Similar Podcast apps I had installed (Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts) were not in the "Use Adaptive Battery" list so they have a solution to this issue with Android Pie that they have implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Kim,

I removed BeyondPod from the "Use Adaptive Battery" list (it was the only app there), and BeyondPod is back in operation.

FYI : Similar Podcast apps I had installed (Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts) were not in the "Use Adaptive Battery" list so they have a solution to this issue with Android Pie that they have implemented.
    Where is this use adaptive battery list? Is this different than the "Battery Optimization" toggle in settings > Apps > BeyondPod > Advanced > Battery ?

Quote Originally Posted by lyric911 View Post
    Where is this use adaptive battery list? Is this different than the "Battery Optimization" toggle in settings > Apps > BeyondPod > Advanced > Battery ?
    With Android 9 (Pie), then go to Settings, Battery, Adaptive Battery. On this settings screen, if any apps have been identified as infrequently used apps (I don't know how the algorithm identifies such apps or how an app developer can apply a setting that can overcome it) they are listed.