Thread: My growing discontent with BeyondPod

Question My growing discontent with BeyondPod

I am a podcast junky. I download 20-25 hours of podcasts each week and I have been doing so for more than 8 years.

All of that time I have been a BeyondPod user and for most of it I have been a Po version user.

I loved this app and recommended it to lots of people.... Until last April.

Ever since 4.2.30 came out I have had numerous issues of slowness (sometimes beyond usability), UI errors (like selecting the wrong episode), and Android integration issues (like disabling the screen on proximity sensor).

When this happened I wasn't concerned. I work in the software industry and I know problems can happen. Sometimes bugs need to occur, be reported, triaged, and fixed and it just takes some time to work through that. This is especially true when nifty new features are implemented. So, I waited for a maintenance release to fix the issues.

However, Five months have gone by and there has been no maintenance release. I see that most of the bugs I have been experiencing are reported on the forums and some are mentioned fixed in various beta versions. But, why has there not been a production release to fix these issues?

I know you are waiting for Android before you can put out 4.2.36, but why not release 4.2.35 so that the production users can get the fixes that you have worked so hard on these last few months?

Your frustrated supporter,
    Jacob
    Last edited by Jacob4Jesus; 09-07-2018 at 01:19 AM. Reason: fixed the version numbers mentioned

I would agree 100%! I used to be a hard core beta user, but I have had numerous issues with the betas recently and have gone back to not being a beta user because some of the bugs are so bad. I see that they are now on 4.2.36, but I cannot find a date, and therefore I cannot tell how bad bugs will be, since I do not see any issues with the version, but I do not know if it has been up an hour or 3 weeks.

I can certainly understand your frustration, but isn't that the inherent risk of beta versions though?

Quote Originally Posted by RayRin View Post
    I can certainly understand your frustration, but isn't that the inherent risk of beta versions though?
    Yes, you are absolutely right, but the quality of the betas has dropped considerably. It used to be there were virtually no worries with these betas. Right now the builds have had glaringly obvious major problems. Let me list a few 1. not allowing phone to sleep when playing 2. not allowing phone to sleep when playing and app is in focus (yes slightly different) 3. adding new feeds from Feedly broken 4. long press and then subsequent taps to select articles for marking as read is inconsistent and feels like a shell game 5. battery drain 6. Bluetooth issues. These have all been recent issues and many of them in the same build.

Yes, you are absolutely right, but this is way Beyond what I have come to expect from BeyondPod beta builds. If you want beta testers, you are probably going to want to vet the pre-beta builds a bit more when syncing feeds and downloading podcasts is not always quite as simple as installing and uninstalling as it is with other apps. I have numerous settings, numerous podcasts, and numerous tweaks and quirks I have accumulated over the years of using the app. Uninstalling and re-installing can make me have to mess around with this app for a half hour or so to get things re-stored. Updating from one version to another is not as invasive.

Obviously BeyondPod can take this feedback and poo poo it, but the point of feedback is to learn and get better. Learning from feedback is optional. "Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still."

I'm really frustrated as well. I've had numerous issues over the past few months.

A beta after a long silence basically completely broke BP for me. I had to delete and reconfigure everything from scratch after a download, but I stayed.

The app was dying immediately after reboot, every reboot, but they fixed that.

My screen will not turn off when BP is open unless I do it manually.

The app is auto killed all the time. Previously, I could listen to podcasts while playing a game with no issue. If a video ad came up in the game, the podcast would pause, and I could resume when the ad was over. Now, the app is killed before the ad finished playing, every time.

Smart Playlists are the only reason I'm still here. As soon as I find an alternative that has the flexibility that BP's smart playlists have, I'm probably out of here.

BeyondPod informed me this morning that it has upgraded to 4.2.40.

Preliminarily it is working much better. Thank You.