Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 4.2.38 pauses constantly

Quote Originally Posted by hbradlow View Post
    I am running BeyondPod 4.2.41 on a S9+ running Andorid 9. I am having this repeated pause problem. I have changed all the OS settings to ensure that Beyondpod can run in the background and not be put to sleep but it still repeatedly pauses (with Bluetooth connections - car and headphones).
    I have been using Beyondpod for many years but I shall reluctantly need to change to a new podcast player.
    Just for the record: the repeated pausing issue goes away if you turn off pause for notifications (it seems to pause every 2 minutes even though there are no notifications).
    However, I have switched to Pocketcasts as BeyondPod has too many other issues: the widget does not work, sometimes it simply won't launch (just see a constant white screen) and it does not auto launch

In researching this, it appears that Samsung phones/tablets are the issue. I have a Note 8 that was doing the same thing, and I think I figured out the issue. By default, the power options won't let it run in the background. If you go to Settings -> Device Care -> Battery -> BeyondPod. Turn off "Put app to sleep". This seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Samsung devices definitely cause more problems, but I can assure you my Pixel and Nexus phones also had this issue.

Probably 2 bugs, one caused by Samsung, one by BeyondPod. I would guess it's something in the way BP targets old API's

I'm using 4.2.41 (not beta) and for me the pausing has gotten worse in the last few weeks in particular. It happens when playing through bluetooth headphones, speaker and Android Auto but not when playing through the phone's own speaker. I always download episodes, I have pause on notification setting turned off and have added BP to Apps that won't be put to sleep in power management settings.

I always had a lot of issues with Samsung devices but I never tried with the Pixel or the Nexus.

Last edited by burbigo1; 03-26-2020 at 03:52 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    This seems to be an Android setting that is putting the app to sleep when the device screen is not active. You will need to change your device settings to allow BP to stay awake.

Settings>device care>battery>beyond pod> then turn off "put app to sleep"**

Now, the above only seems to fix the issue if you are listening directly on the device but it doesn't seem to fix the issue when listening through bluetooth, so developers have created a fix for the bluetooth issue that will be included in the next BETA release.

No it's not an issue with the settings. Other apps manage to stay active without having to change the battery optimization settings. Pretty sure the app can request to stay active from the Android OS.

BeyondPod Team
    BETA version 4.3.0 is now available on our BETA Channel.

I having been having the same problem. I believe I have been experiencing this for 12+ months, but in the last 2 months it has become noticeably worse.

I have just reset me power settings so as to not put the app to sleep. I have also unchecked all the 'pause on notification/headset disconnect'. Will report back in a bit if I find this has mad the change.

But point of this post is to provide some info/hints that may help trouble shooting this:
    - This pausing primarily occurs when wearing BT headsets, but it does also occasionally happen with wired headests, but at 1/20 or less rate, so far less frequent. Maybe suggests that there are multiple reasons for this;
    - It often seems to happen when there is another 'event' that impact will BT- i.e. When running along the road in the country the playback is fine for 30+ minutes, but as soon as a car drives by it seems to pause (but I have not rigourously tested this and sometimes cars drive by and their is no pause). Also seems to be that when I am next to machinery (ie. washing machine) and the machine changes state (i.e. going from wash to spin) there is more frequent pausing. Certainly seems to be more frequent pausing in electrmagnetically complex environments (i.e. driving in heavy traffic, vice driving on a clear road). Maybe I am just seeing patterns where there are none, but as I am watching more they seem to marry up. Suggest maybe some type of issue as BT has to process network disruptions;
    - I also use the Sam Harris Waking Up meditation app and I am seeing the same pausing issues. During meditation the App seems to pause 1-3 times during a 20 min sessions (the other day it paused and I stayed meditating for 8 hours.....

I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Android ver 10 - Kernel: 4.9.186

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by IRG42 View Post
    I having been having the same problem. I believe I have been experiencing this for 12+ months, but in the last 2 months it has become noticeably worse.

I have just reset me power settings so as to not put the app to sleep. I have also unchecked all the 'pause on notification/headset disconnect'. Will report back in a bit if I find this has mad the change.

But point of this post is to provide some info/hints that may help trouble shooting this:
    - This pausing primarily occurs when wearing BT headsets, but it does also occasionally happen with wired headests, but at 1/20 or less rate, so far less frequent. Maybe suggests that there are multiple reasons for this;
    - It often seems to happen when there is another 'event' that impact will BT- i.e. When running along the road in the country the playback is fine for 30+ minutes, but as soon as a car drives by it seems to pause (but I have not rigourously tested this and sometimes cars drive by and their is no pause). Also seems to be that when I am next to machinery (ie. washing machine) and the machine changes state (i.e. going from wash to spin) there is more frequent pausing. Certainly seems to be more frequent pausing in electrmagnetically complex environments (i.e. driving in heavy traffic, vice driving on a clear road). Maybe I am just seeing patterns where there are none, but as I am watching more they seem to marry up. Suggest maybe some type of issue as BT has to process network disruptions;
    - I also use the Sam Harris Waking Up meditation app and I am seeing the same pausing issues. During meditation the App seems to pause 1-3 times during a 20 min sessions (the other day it paused and I stayed meditating for 8 hours.....

I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Android ver 10 - Kernel: 4.9.186
    The Bluetooth/headset pausing has been fixed in the latest BETA version released a month ago. You can find the APK here: http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/