Thread: Download management

Download management

I am on a Xoom running stock 4.1.2 using BP 3.10.11. So far I like the new version.

In my feeds sometimes I might notice a non-interesting post title want to skip it. Or more commonly, when I add a new feed I often start with episodes going back a while. Some feeds end up with 2-6 duplicates for older episodes. In the old layout, I could long press an episode and select "mark downloaded" on the duplicates and BP would not download it. The concept of being downloaded or not was distinct from being read or not.

1) How can I tell BP to skip or not download an episode? When I long press an episode the top menu only gives the option to toggle the read status. The menu has options for sharing, episode details and external player. I can't find an option that says don't download. Pressing the pin prompts me to download the episode and a long press allows playing in an external player. I love that if I can figure this out I can multi-select instead of doing this individually.

2) Is here a way to make the difference in episode state more clear? In the old version, button labels (download, play, re-download) were distinct and easy to discern while scrolling. Now I just see 3 dots under the pin, and that's not easy to spot while scrolling. Downloaded episodes have a different icon, but "downloaded and deleted" looks very similar to "not yet downloaded".

3) This one isn't really related, but isn't major enough to warrant its own topic. How can I tell how much space and total play time a given item (feed, category, all feeds) represents on my device. In the old version a long alert appeared sometimes when changing categories.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by sdp0et View Post
    1) How can I tell BP to skip or not download an episode? When I long press an episode the top menu only gives the option to toggle the read status. The menu has options for sharing, episode details and external player. I can't find an option that says don't download. Pressing the pin prompts me to download the episode and a long press allows playing in an external player. I love that if I can figure this out I can multi-select instead of doing this individually.
    If you mark it as read, it won't be downloaded.

2) Is here a way to make the difference in episode state more clear? In the old version, button labels (download, play, re-download) were distinct and easy to discern while scrolling. Now I just see 3 dots under the pin, and that's not easy to spot while scrolling. Downloaded episodes have a different icon, but "downloaded and deleted" looks very similar to "not yet downloaded".
    Well, deleted episodes have dimmed titles and artwork, and you can always hide deleted episodes using the selection filter. It may be that your particular device doesn't show the difference between the dimmed and undimmed titles very clearly. Because of different screen technologies, it's surprisingly difficult to pick dimming levels / shades that work equally well on all devices.

3) This one isn't really related, but isn't major enough to warrant its own topic. How can I tell how much space and total play time a given item (feed, category, all feeds) represents on my device. In the old version a long alert appeared sometimes when changing categories.
    When you multi-select episodes (e.g. Select All in a Category), it will tell you in the top menu bar how much space the selected episodes take up ... but on 7" devices this only shows up in landscape mode.

AFAIK, the only place that you can get a total play time is in the playlist (tap on the number of items on the playlist in the bottom right corner to see it)

Julie

Thanks for the reply, but none of that is true for me. First, the app clearly keeps separate track of read/unread and un-downloaded/downloaded/deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    If you mark it as read, it won't be downloaded.
    That doesn't seem to fit. Most of my feeds come from google reader, so any older 30 days are marked read automatically but still download. So if a feed has 3 copies of an episode from July 2012, all three are already considered read (dimmed) but BP still downloads them. I consider this a good thing because I haven't downloaded everything Reader considers read. It seems that the app still keeps separate track of "read" and "downloaded". The post referring to the episode is read, but the episode itself is not yet downloaded.

Well, deleted episodes have dimmed titles and artwork, and you can always hide deleted episodes using the selection filter. It may be that your particular device doesn't show the difference between the dimmed and undimmed titles very clearly. Because of different screen technologies, it's surprisingly difficult to pick dimming levels / shades that work equally well on all devices.
    There is a clear difference between read and unread in brightness as you say, but not-downloaded and deleted. On my device they are exactly the same except the dots by the pin icon. Unread items are brighter, but again download status seems to be a different thing than read status. The "Hide read" option hides all "read" items, which hides even read-but-not-downloaded items. There is no "hide deleted" option that I can find. Where is this selection filter? The selection bar only has "done", "X of Y" (selection count), and "mark read/unread". This is in landscape or portrait on the tablet.

When you multi-select episodes (e.g. Select All in a Category), it will tell you in the top menu bar how much space the selected episodes take up ... but on 7" devices this only shows up in landscape mode.

AFAIK, the only place that you can get a total play time is in the playlist (tap on the number of items on the playlist in the bottom right corner to see it)

Julie
    When I multi-select I get a count and the options to toggle read status, add/remove to playlist' and delete. By minimizing left side feed list I can get the sizes. I guess that will have do do for now, but it was nice being able to know total playtime of feeds or categories.

Maybe screenshots will help me explain better.

Read vs Unread

read-vs-unread-sm.jpg

Not Downloaded vs Downloaded vs Downloaded and Deleted (all considered "read" due to age)

dl-vs-nodl-sm.jpg

Long press select options

long-press-select-sm.jpg

Edit: maybe not. The images are too small to see the notes, but I can email them to someone to look at.

BeyondPod Team
    You are correct that internally downloaded and read a separate. The current logic will mark the episode as downloaded when you mark it as read. Unfortunately currently this does not work with the special case where the episode is automatically marked as read not because it is read but because it is old (due to an oddity the way Google handles old posts).

In this case there is no way to mark this particular episode as downloaded. (You can mark all episodes of the feed as downloaded by using "Edit Feed > Mark All as Downloaded", but can't mark single old Reader episodes as downloaded). This was an omission on our side that we will fix in the next beta version.

As far as whether the episode was previously downloaded, it is now indicated by the "..." in the pushpin. (Pushpin without "..." = "Download", Pushpin with the "..." = "Re Download"). As you point out the "..." are not very well distinguishable and we will try to find a better way to indicate that (any suggestions are appreciated).

Menu > More > Manage Categories will give you a total disk size (but not time) of the episodes in each category.

Stefan

Thanks for the answers. I'll wait for the new releases then.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    You are correct that internally downloaded and read a separate. The current logic will mark the episode as downloaded when you mark it as read. Unfortunately currently this does not work with the special case where the episode is automatically marked as read not because it is read but because it is old (due to an oddity the way Google handles old posts).

In this case there is no way to mark this particular episode as downloaded. (You can mark all episodes of the feed as downloaded by using "Edit Feed > Mark All as Downloaded", but can't mark single old Reader episodes as downloaded). This was an omission on our side that we will fix in the next beta version.

As far as whether the episode was previously downloaded, it is now indicated by the "..." in the pushpin. (Pushpin without "..." = "Download", Pushpin with the "..." = "Re Download"). As you point out the "..." are not very well distinguishable and we will try to find a better way to indicate that (any suggestions are appreciated).

Menu > More > Manage Categories will give you a total disk size (but not time) of the episodes in each category.

Stefan
    I'm on 3.1.20 beta now, and notice no difference. I still cannot mark a "marked-read-by-reader-but-not-yet-downloaded" episode as already downloaded (if the feed has duplicates or an episode looks uninteresting). Likewise, I cannot mark a "downloaded-and-deleted" episode (already listened and want again, or accidentally deleted) as "not downloaded" so that auto-update will get it again. The pushpin will let me re-download immediately, but at work where I listen, wifi blocks access to nearly all of my feed urls.

I realize I am not the only user of the application, so I don't expect it to be customized to my preference, but I never use the pushpins. 99% of my downloading occurs automatically. It would be nice if there could be a setting somewhere where people with my usage profile could say "I only use auto-update" so the pushpin changes from an action button to a downloaded status toggle. Even when I was able to mark individual episodes it involved a long press and a selection in a context menu.

In dealing with

http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...=4609#post4609

and installing BP on my phone, I find:

1) On the phone, I can long press an episode and manually toggle it's download state, but not it's read state. Clicking the episode tries to play it, not open it's "page". T
    2) On the tablet, I can toggle read status (if advanced option set), by selecting and going to toolbar or by opening an episode's page and clicking the radio button. But I can't toggle it's download status.

Should the omission fix in the next beta be there in 3.1.20 beta or do I just need to wait longer?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    For the vast majority of users, a separate "Read" status is the source of great confusion. The intention, going forward, is that Read will not be an independent status for feeds with media attachments, since it is implied by downloaded or played.

This simplification means that it will be the other way around - the phone version will be updated to work the same way that the tablet version does now.

Sorry.

juwlz,

Please see this thread: http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...=5472#post5472

It was only because Downloaded and Read are separate things that I noticed that the problem occurred. The fact that the feeds had 0 or 1 downloaded episode from late June but 0 unread told me that BP was not updating them.

Downloaded and read are distinct concepts and hopefully will not be combined into one flag. I don't know if by "is implied by downloaded or played" you are saying that there are 3 flags (read, downloaded and played) or that downloaded and played are the same thing. I would agree that read can be called played if that is what you meant, but in case you meant that all three were the same.

Let's say a feed has 10 episodes, and I have listened to the first 5. BP is set to keep two at a time, so after update my device will have episodes 6 and 7 downloaded. In the feed list, I can see at a glance that I have 2 episodes downloaded, but 5 unread. If I don't listen to them for a couple weeks, and the podcast releases weekly, I will come back to 2 downloaded and 7 unread.

I am fine with "Mark as read" also performing "mark as downloaded", but I should be able to toggle the download history without affecting the read history. This is also why on the tablet there should be either a "select all" or "Mark all UNread" so that I down't have to tediously scroll and select dozens or a hundred or so episodes in some feeds to mark them manually based on whether I was closer to the beginnin or end of the feed.