Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: 4.2.39 does not pause audio for notifications

  1. #21
    I just updated to the new version from the play store a couple of days ago... V4.2.40. Finally works again with Android Auto. However, I noticed that when walking and using the app MapMyWalk, that the app's audio announcements I get every set distance (it tells me how far I've walked, split speed, etc) plays full volume but, critically, the audio playing on beyondpod does not pause any more. So I've regained in-car controls but lost one of the handy (ie not irritating) features at the same time. I do not want my podcasts to play below audio announcements from other apps. I want the audio to pause, then continue once the announcement has finished... Like it used to.

  2. #22
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Averbuch View Post
    I just updated to the new version from the play store a couple of days ago... V4.2.40. Finally works again with Android Auto. However, I noticed that when walking and using the app MapMyWalk, that the app's audio announcements I get every set distance (it tells me how far I've walked, split speed, etc) plays full volume but, critically, the audio playing on beyondpod does not pause any more. So I've regained in-car controls but lost one of the handy (ie not irritating) features at the same time. I do not want my podcasts to play below audio announcements from other apps. I want the audio to pause, then continue once the announcement has finished... Like it used to.
    Yes, development introduced audio "ducking" instead of pausing. This was intentional and not broken. Development is aware of the dislike users have for it so I believe they are going to re-introduce pausing in the next release.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    development introduced audio "ducking" instead of pausing. This was intentional and not broken. Development is aware of the dislike users have for it so I believe they are going to re-introduce pausing in the next release.
    Hi Kim,

    Android Auto is working for me in .40, but I agree that pausing is better than ducking. Consider that some announcements -- especially those that are common in Android Auto such as navigation instructions from Waze or Maps -- can last up to five seconds or more and require the listener's undivided attention. Sometimes ducking makes the announcement harder to hear, or the listener just doesn't want to miss a that time out of their podcasts.

    Perhaps the devs can offer a setting.

    If the system or another app want to send out an announcement during a running podcast, what should BP do:
    1) Pause the podcast and restart after the announcement is finished.
    2) Decrease the volume of the podcast until the announcement is finished
    3) Stop the podcast playback


    In any case, thanks for the enabling Aof A. So far it works for me as expected,

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    856
    A selection between ducking and pausing would be appropriate, and it should default to pausing. Why would anyone think that a podcast being actively listened to should be inaudible for several seconds?

  5. #25
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    A selection between ducking and pausing would be appropriate, and it should default to pausing. Why would anyone think that a podcast being actively listened to should be inaudible for several seconds?
    Dennis,

    From my conversations with development, they were following Android/Google developmental policy rules on this situation. That is all the reason I have.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    104
    Kim, I know you've already said that this will likely be changed in the next release, but it would be comforting to have some better idea when that might be -- BP releases come much later and more broken than from any team I've ever encountered.

    I fear that there's a major misunderstanding that could result in another AA blackout. The biggest problem with the ducking approach is that podcasts are nearly always spoken word. Which means that when directions are given now, we have two spoken sources competing. Meaning it's pretty much impossible to understand either. That's about as much of an audio distraction as I can imagine. You really don't want to wait around for that to be noticed and have to go through all this again!

    --Denis

  7. #27
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by dlynch View Post
    Kim, I know you've already said that this will likely be changed in the next release, but it would be comforting to have some better idea when that might be -- BP releases come much later and more broken than from any team I've ever encountered.

    I fear that there's a major misunderstanding that could result in another AA blackout. The biggest problem with the ducking approach is that podcasts are nearly always spoken word. Which means that when directions are given now, we have two spoken sources competing. Meaning it's pretty much impossible to understand either. That's about as much of an audio distraction as I can imagine. You really don't want to wait around for that to be noticed and have to go through all this again!

    --Denis
    Denis,

    I do not have that information from development yet so I do not have an answer for you at this time. They are working on a few bugs fixes and will give me an update when they have one for me. AA's team tested this version (4.2.40) before they lifted the ban on BP and they didn't have an issue with the ducking or else they wouldn't have accepted the release and lifted the ban.

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1

    In what version was Audio Ducking introduced?

    Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Yes, development introduced audio "ducking" instead of pausing. This was intentional and not broken. Development is aware of the dislike users have for it so I believe they are going to re-introduce pausing in the next release.
    I wiped my phone to try to resolve this problem with no luck. What version was audio ducking introduced? I'd like to install the version just prior to that one.

  9. #29
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by screed View Post
    I wiped my phone to try to resolve this problem with no luck. What version was audio ducking introduced? I'd like to install the version just prior to that one.
    Version 4.2.40. You can revert back to 4.2.30 if you'd like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •