Thread: Will Google Play version update sideloaded apk?

Will Google Play version update sideloaded apk?

I have v. 4.2.38 now, but .39 isn't yet in the Google Play Store. If I sideload 4.2.39, will I be able to update it from the Play Store in the future, or will I be stuck installing apk's indefinitely?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by musichem View Post
    I have v. 4.2.38 now, but .39 isn't yet in the Google Play Store. If I sideload 4.2.39, will I be able to update it from the Play Store in the future, or will I be stuck installing apk's indefinitely?
    Hello,

You can wait until the beta version is pushed to the play store to download if you do not want to sideload. Once a version is sideloaded, I do believe the Google store doesn't suggest you need an upgrade since that is already the version you have running, but I could be wrong.

4.2.39 was submitted to the Play Store on Friday (9/21) but Google requested two additional changes before it was pushed through so development has been working on those changes.

It should, so if you were on .39, and .40 went to the play store, it would update you to that when available.

I know when I download other APK's from somewhere like apkmirror, the play store will update them in the future, you should be fine.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    It should, so if you were on .39, and .40 went to the play store, it would update you to that when available.

I know when I download other APK's from somewhere like apkmirror, the play store will update them in the future, you should be fine.
    Yes, phalkon30 is correct in that instance; if a new version is pushed to the playstore after you have sideloaded a previous version, but I was referring to if you sideload 4.2.39 and 4.2.39 is pushed to the play store, I do not believe it will suggest an update in the Play Store as you technically already have that version of the app.

Good point of clarity, and I agree. .39 should be .39 no matter where it comes from.

Thanks, all. Phalkon, that's what I was hoping.

I can confirm that 4.2.39 sideloaded will be updated to 4.2.40 from the Play Store - I've just done it. Android Auto integration is back; which is all I was looking for.