Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: V4.2.40 podcasts not pausing for audio announcements.?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    V4.2.40 podcasts not pausing for audio announcements.?

    I just updated to the new version from the play store a couple of days ago... V4.2.40. Finally works again with Android Auto. However, I noticed that when walking and using the app MapMyWalk, that the app's audio announcements I get every set distance (it tells me how far I've walked, split speed, etc) plays full volume but, critically, the audio playing on beyondpod does not pause any more. So I've regained in-car controls but lost one of the handy (ie not irritating) features at the same time. I do not want my podcasts to play below audio announcements from other apps. I want the audio to pause, then continue once the announcement has finished... Like it used to.

  2. #2
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Averbuch View Post
    I just updated to the new version from the play store a couple of days ago... V4.2.40. Finally works again with Android Auto. However, I noticed that when walking and using the app MapMyWalk, that the app's audio announcements I get every set distance (it tells me how far I've walked, split speed, etc) plays full volume but, critically, the audio playing on beyondpod does not pause any more. So I've regained in-car controls but lost one of the handy (ie not irritating) features at the same time. I do not want my podcasts to play below audio announcements from other apps. I want the audio to pause, then continue once the announcement has finished... Like it used to.
    Hello,

    Yes, development introduced audio "ducking" instead of pausing. This was intentional and not broken. Development is aware of the dislike users have for it so I believe they are going to try and re-introduce pausing in the next release.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    I believe they are going to try and re-introduce pausing in the next release.
    Hi @KimW. +1 from me for re-introducing pausing. "Ducking" is really not a great idea at all.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Hello,

    Yes, development introduced audio "ducking" instead of pausing. This was intentional and not broken. Development is aware of the dislike users have for it so I believe they are going to try and re-introduce pausing in the next release.
    I don't get it. There is a specific setting that says "Pause on Notification: Pauses playback during system notifications (Navigation, eMail, SMS etc.)". Surely that box checked = pause and that box not checked = duck. I have that box checked and it's not pausing. This is a bug, no?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4
    I am so pleased I found this thread! I've been googling like a mad woman trying to find out what has gone wrong here. Initially, when my podcast volume was just reduced instead of being paused, I thought Google Maps settings had changed. buck, I agree wholeheartedly with you that this change is dangerous. I was so distracted while I was driving and hearing both the navigation and the podcast at the same time! When I realised that the same thing was happening with email and message notifications, I guessed that it must be an issue with the BP app, even though I had the "Pause on Notification" bix checked - I'm definitely thinking the same as robertwinz:

    Quote Originally Posted by robertwinz View Post
    I don't get it. There is a specific setting that says "Pause on Notification: Pauses playback during system notifications (Navigation, eMail, SMS etc.)". Surely that box checked = pause and that box not checked = duck. I have that box checked and it's not pausing. This is a bug, no?
    This must be a bug, right, BP people? Or a mistake to leave the option available in the settings menu uf ducking is the default?

    Please, please, please put it back to how it was, or let us decide if we want to pause or duck! It's taking all the fun out of my podcast listening

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19
    When will this release be available?

  7. #7
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyB View Post
    When will this release be available?
    I do not have that information from development yet.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10
    I thought this was just another bug in the latest release, as my player has been randomly pausing and often crashes after connected to bluetooth since I downloaded it. This particular feature means I have to manually pause while driving when my phone starts playing directions. BeyondPod automatically overrides my pause but at a lower volume, causing me to have to manually intervene more while driving. This has already distracted me enough to take the wrong exit on a familiar route. This is a dangerous update. I urge you to release a new version before it kills someone.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3

    Yes. This new audio ducking "feature" is a dangerous bug!

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I thought this was just another bug in the latest release, as my player has been randomly pausing and often crashes after connected to bluetooth since I downloaded it. This particular feature means I have to manually pause while driving when my phone starts playing directions. BeyondPod automatically overrides my pause but at a lower volume, causing me to have to manually intervene more while driving. This has already distracted me enough to take the wrong exit on a familiar route. This is a dangerous update. I urge you to release a new version before it kills someone.
    I have the same objection. Because I generally listen at 2x, I lose a lot of content in the time it takes Maps to say, "In 3 kilometers, take exit 41, Sharpsburg McCullum Road, toward Sharpsburg." So I hit the Skip Backward button, but this increases the interaction with my phone at precisely the times when I need to be thinking a little more about traffic.

    And, by the way, the "Settings / Player Settings / Automatic Pause or Resume" screen still has a "Pause on Notification" checkbox (which I have checked). It would have prevented a lot of user confusion if your developers had simply renamed this to "Audio ducking during Notification" or something similar. At least we'd then have known that the new behavior was intentional. If there was any announcement of this new feature, I missed it.

  10. #10
    I agree, this has caused some serious issues with my use, calling it a danger is strong, but ...
    How can we rollback to a previous version?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •