Thread: Google home voice actions

Google home voice actions

I really would appreciate the support for Goggle home voice actions, so I could control beyondpod through it.

Agreed, although I wouldn't get your hopes up (I've been asking for almost 2 years).

I've jury-rigged up a solution using IFTTT, Join, and Tasker, so that "Update BeyondPod" triggers a Tasker task on my phone that does the "Update SmartPlay playlist" action. It works pretty well, and it's nice to run while I'm getting ready to leave the house. A bit complicated to get set up, and it would definitely be nice to have something more native, but it can be done.

https://joaoapps.com/join/ifttt/ has the broad strokes introduction.

Interesting, does the update smartplay playlist basically just download your feeds and rebuild the playlist?

Not sure how yours is set up, but within the native BP settings I have mine to download all the latest episodes for specific feeds, delete played, and rebuild the smartplay playlist keeping the last played (or currently playing) episode as the top on the current playlist. All it takes is simply hitting the refresh button in the app. You might be able to simplify your IFTT settings by doing this and having google just trigger a refresh.

BeyondPod exposes a Tasker plugin, with one of the options being "Update Smart Play". I think what it does internally is just the same as hitting the update feeds option for the default SmartPlay playlist, which itself does all of the things you mentioned. Really, that was the simple part; the complicated part was getting IFTTT to send the message to Tasker via Join in the first place.