Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally gave up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy I finally gave up

I have been a paying BeyondPod user for a long time, but recent bugs made it pretty much unusable.

First there was a change in the UI, which I got used to even if it was inconvenient. Especially with the settings and add menu below all subscriptions.
    It got slower and slower over time and I just became more patient.
    The widget stopped working ... ok, I am just going to use the app then.
    Some podcasts had audio or download issues. I can always blame the podcast, even if it sometimes worked after a restart.
    Sync was also a bit hit and miss.

But what broke me was the constant pausing while playing and unreliable bluetooth usage.
    On one listening session recently I had to unpause every couple of minutes, that is just unusable.

Now I switched to Pocket Casts. I will miss some features like the auto-filling smart lists and probably others.
    But this new app is just so responsive and everything it does just works, sometimes this is enough.

Maybe I give BeyondPod another go in a year or so, but with the progress of the recent years I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

I have had a great few hours with Pocket Casts. Thanks for the recommendation.

I had BeyomdPod since 2011 btw :-)

2012 here, paid since 2013.

I just walked to the bathroom in the office without my podcast pausing. It's refreshing.

Only used BP for years. Paid for pocket yesterday and I can't believe I held on so long. It's sad but I am so excited when I press play and it doesn't freeze

I am not giving up yet, but if there is no movement on this by the end of January I am gone. It has been a problem for months.

I'm sad to say that I'm in the same wagon...

BP user since years now, I start to get sick of issues coming but never getting solved while it always worked pretty good until now.

But for now I still didn't find a remplacement that have all the functionality I use from BP:
    Smartplay list
    Sync between devices: this one doesn't work anymore with BP... since septembre so I'll not miss it form BP. But Pocketcast seems to be the only one having a working sync feature.
    Pause if power unplugged => didn't find any other app that have this feature

I've tried (and even paid for):
    Podcast addict
    Doggcatcher (sync in close beta)
    Antennapod
    Podcast republic
    PocketCast
    Podcast addict (sync annonced years ago..still nothing)

If you know one that have sync & pause on power unplugg I'll be happy :-)

I used BP since the Windows Mobile days and bought the Android app several times over the years to support the development of a once great app.

Things have gone hill since the app changed hands. I switched to Podcast Addict several months ago for my regular day to day listening and PocketCasts for my 'pick and choose an episode' selection and audiobooks.

Sure I miss some of the features of BeyondPod.. but no where near as much as I missed having a stable/dependable app everyday.

( I'm not sure if it's hope or morbid curiosity.. but I still occasionally haunt these forums..)
    Last edited by jhonen; 12-10-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Addition

For everyone who has moved on from BeyondPod, are there any that have smart playlist features like BP does? I like that BP can continuously add new episodes to a playlist with rules that control how the episodes are sorted.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
    For everyone who has moved on from BeyondPod, are there any that have smart playlist features like BP does? I like that BP can continuously add new episodes to a playlist with rules that control how the episodes are sorted.
    Podcast Addict approaches the same requirement in a different way. A podcast can be in as many different categories as you like (so you can use some to categorise by topic, or length, or whatever takes your fancy, and some to create playlists to use.

Each podcast also has a priority associated with it, so you can combine categories and priorities to get much the same functionality, by sorting your podcasts by priority within playlist category. It's not quite as precise as SmartPlay, but in many ways it's much easier to adjust categories and relative priorities than to nudge SmartPlay rules up and down or to add a new rule in the middle of a long list of SmartPlay rules. (I would recommend numbering priorities in multiples of 10, so that you can easily insert things between others if you need to later.

I have certainly achieved the same "set it and forget it" setup that I had with BP, together with a set of different playlists for different situations.

What PA doesn't have is cross-device sync, so if that's important to you, it'll be a non-starter. But from this thread, it appears that sync has stopped working in BP too.

It DOES have automatic skip back on pause, sleep timers, a recycle bin for your played podcasts (i.e. delayed physical deletion), etc.