Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I finally gave up

I switched to Podcast Addict right after I made the post above yours and haven't looked back (except when I got the notification of your reply to the post!).

PA is great and I've been able to get 90% of the way to BP's SmartPlay using priorities and the "play from the top" playlist option, so higher priority stuff plays next. I'm probably an edge case that I have some shows that I like to listen to the oldest one then move onto something else before going back to that show. PA can't exactly do that but it's close enough that in the nearly month since I've switched I've only had to manually override what played next a handful of times. That's ok for me.

The UI is quite cluttered out of the box but spend some time going through all the options, turn off the stuff you don't want, and I think you'll be pretty happy.

It seems to be written by a single person and has already gotten 2 updates since I switched. Widget works, SSL episodes work, no random pauses, currently playing episode always resumes in AA when you return to your car, and it even has silence skipping which has allowed me to slow down my default playback speed a bit but still get through shows faster. The only thing missing is device syncing but I only use one device so no issue for me.

I feel a little bit bad talking about an alternative app on BP's forum but it seems obvious to me at this point that they do not intend to fix their issues.

Honestly, if you can live without some of BPs features changing apps would definitely be my advice.

They are supposedly working on a new release but without an ETA or at least a time frame there is no knowing if the release will come next week, in half a year or ever. And even if it's coming soon that doesn't mean it will reduce the problems overall. Just to give you an idea with what we are dealing here: The latest update came out 4 months ago to the day and is riddled with bugs.

Depending on your usage and need, Podcast Addict or Pocketcast. Go. Go now.

Moving to PocketCasts was painful at first (been using BP for something like 7 or 8 years...), but i'm completely sold now.

It. Just. Works.

No show stopping bugs, and frankly nothing fancy either, but it plays podcasts well. Background downloads work really slick too, I could never reliably get BP to do that without serious work and battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianGee View Post
    I switched to Podcast Addict right after I made the post above yours and haven't looked back (except when I got the notification of your reply to the post!).

PA is great and I've been able to get 90% of the way to BP's SmartPlay using priorities and the "play from the top" playlist option, ...
    Hi,

Do you think PA could let you use the priorities and play from top, to be able to just create a playlist automatically which plays the next episode for each podcast? Even if you are only like halfway through the episodes in various podcasts?

I like that BeyondPod smartplay lets me do this, very nice to set up smartplay and then automatically continue to regenerate my playlist forever until I catch up, in chronological order of each podcast, with the playlist including all my podcasts (assuming that I haven't caught up yet). But nothing else seems to be able to do this, or can Podcast Addict?

Yes, this is the feature that makes me stick, warts and all. The random stopping seems to have been fixed, and if they could just get it to catch "Play" bluetooth Intents when it's not the active app, I'd stop looking again.

Pocket Casts has "filters" that I'm using to combine multiple feeds into one playlist like I used to with BeyondPod. It has similar rules where you can have it play the oldest episode in the list first, and is simple to regenerate. My only complaint is that it doesn't automatically rebuild, but it's two taps to refresh it.

My use case is the TWiT network, I like to listen to the oldest shows first (chronological) but since it's news I want to listen to the oldest of 4 different shows.

Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Pocket Casts has "filters" that I'm using to combine multiple feeds into one playlist like I used to with BeyondPod. It has similar rules where you can have it play the oldest episode in the list first, and is simple to regenerate...
    The problem with playing the oldest episode *in the list* is that, in my experience, I just fail to ever hear any episodes from the list for those podcasts that I'm caught up with, where that podcast will only have current episodes. So this approach, though useful, will not work where you want to build a list using the oldest episode from each podcast to build the list, then play *all* the episodes from the list (where you might have an episode 8 years old, followed by one that is current, followed by one 2 years old, etc.) until you exhaust the list, and then rebuild the list automatically by again pulling an episode from every podcast.

I consider this feature to be a must-have, and I can't find it anywhere except in beyondpod.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Podcast Addict approaches the same requirement in a different way. A podcast can be in as many different categories as you like (so you can use some to categorise by topic, or length, or whatever takes your fancy, and some to create playlists to use.

Each podcast also has a priority associated with it, so you can combine categories and priorities to get much the same functionality, by sorting your podcasts by priority within playlist category. It's not quite as precise as SmartPlay, but in many ways it's much easier to adjust categories and relative priorities than to nudge SmartPlay rules up and down or to add a new rule in the middle of a long list of SmartPlay rules. (I would recommend numbering priorities in multiples of 10, so that you can easily insert things between others if you need to later.

I have certainly achieved the same "set it and forget it" setup that I had with BP, together with a set of different playlists for different situations.

What PA doesn't have is cross-device sync, so if that's important to you, it'll be a non-starter. But from this thread, it appears that sync has stopped working in BP too.

It DOES have automatic skip back on pause, sleep timers, a recycle bin for your played podcasts (i.e. delayed physical deletion), etc.
    Hi juwlz,
    I'm trying to switch to PA and I can't see how to prioritize my feeds like I could with SmartPlay in BP. I must be missing something.
    Can you please elaborate on how you did it?

Also gave up. I'm sorry, I really liked BeyondPod while it worked, I was happy to pay for the Pro version, and enjoyed using it.

But it doesn't work anymore, and more importantly - it's quite obvious that noone is trying to make it work. I'm sorry about that, I really am, but I understand, things change, people have found other jobs and this project is simply abandoned. Too bad. I really wish I could continue using it, but I don't really have the time or patience to try and find out which was the last fully functional version.

Wish me luck with Podcast Addict