Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playlist count in lock screen widget is in the wrong place

Question Playlist count in lock screen widget is in the wrong place

I'm running BP 4.1.48 on a Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1. The lock screen widget is showing the number of playlist items above the "fast forward" button, which is confusing. It should be showing that count above the "next track" button. See the attached screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, I don't know why the forum massively downsized my screenshot. Here it is: http://imgur.com/QD4jI6a

Furthermore, it would make more sense if the number shown was the number of items *next* in the playlist, not the total number of playlist items. For instance, if there's only one podcast in the playlist (and it's currently playing), the lock screen widget will display a "1", giving the impression that there's one more item to be played, which is not true.

Another alternative would be to get ride of this number altogether as it looks weird and is ambiguous, context-less, and confusing.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You're right - it appears that the position of the playlist episode count in the notification shade (and therefore the lock screen widget) is not in the correct place.

Quote Originally Posted by cageygee3 View Post
    Furthermore, it would make more sense if the number shown was the number of items *next* in the playlist, not the total number of playlist items. For instance, if there's only one podcast in the playlist (and it's currently playing), the lock screen widget will display a "1", giving the impression that there's one more item to be played, which is not true.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. The number shown is the total number of episodes in the playlist. If you have one episode in the playlist (whether it's currently playing or not), the total number of episodes in the playlist is 1.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. The number shown is the total number of episodes in the playlist. If you have one episode in the playlist (whether it's currently playing or not), the total number of episodes in the playlist is 1.
    Exactly, that's confusing. Showing that number is implying how many tracks are *next*. If I see a "1" in the lock screen widget above the next track button, I'm going to assume I have one more track to play after the current one, but that's not true.

Honestly I think you should consider dropping this number altogether or redesigning it such that it makes sense. Right now it's just a random floating number with no context and a misleading meaning.

Please leave this as the whole playlist count.

I'll also add that the icon in the app that has a number inside of the playlist icon is very nicely designed. (I'll attach a screenshot of what I'm talking about.) If you used that in the notification shade and the lock screen widget, then the meaning would be much clearer than a floating number.

icon.jpg

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by cageygee3 View Post
    Exactly, that's confusing. Showing that number is implying how many tracks are *next*. If I see a "1" in the lock screen widget above the next track button, I'm going to assume I have one more track to play after the current one, but that's not true.
    That's your interpretation. The number you refer to is used consistently throughout the product to mean the total number of episodes in the playlist, and doesn't change regardless of whether anything is currently playing or not (which WOULD be confusing). Indeed, NOT counting the currently playing episode would be confusing for most people.

The number means you have <n> episodes in your playlist that you haven't finished playing.

Julie

That's your interpretation.
    Agreed, my interpretation is wrong here because the design is ambiguous.

The number you refer to is used consistently throughout the product to mean the total number of episodes in the playlist...
    Staying consistent is good, that should keep happening. Any time a playlist count appears, it should refer to the total number of items.

I'll leave it to you guys to figure out a fix. A floating, context-less number (in the wrong place) is aesthetically displeasing and doesn't fit in with the rest of the app, which is very beautifully designed. The large playlist count that appears to the right of the "next track" button in the notification shade is a more reasonable approach. Another option is to add a playlist button icon (with the count inside).

I've noticed this too. Any plans on fixing this? How about an option to not even show the playlist count? It's not visually pleasing and I'd like to just hide it entirely.