Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WBUR podcasts not downloading

I've been having the same problem with the On Point podcast for the past couple of weeks.

The symptoms vary, but generally tend to follow one of two patterns:

• Pattern 1: The feed updates normally, but episode download / streaming fail. Looking at the feed, I see the normal logo, episode description, and episode length. When I try to download the episode, however, the operation "completes" instantaneously. Attempting to play the resulting episode yields an "External Player Required" message. Looking at the filesystem, no MP3 file exists. Streaming yields the same "External Player Required" error.
    • Pattern 2: The feed does not update properly. Instead of seeing the usual logo, I see a separate picture for each episode. I cannot view episode descriptions, download them, or stream them. The filesystem shows the JPEGs for the episode-specific pictures, but no MP3s.

To try to fix the problem, I've:
    • Deleted the feed and re-subscribed
    • Backed up my BeyondPod settings > deleted the app's cache/storage > restored settings
    • Backed up my BeyondPod settings > deleted the app's cache/storage > re-subscribed to the On Point podcast, without restoring my settings

All attempts yield one of the two aforementioned patterns of erroneous behavior.

I don't know enough about the technical side to assess whether the RSS feed is problematic. I am, however, able to subscribe, download, and listen to the On Point podcast normally using several other podcast apps. Whatever the cause, BeyondPod seems particularly sensitive to the issue.

I'm happy to test more, if anyone has ideas about what might work. For reference, I'm using a Note 8 with Android 8.0.0 and BeyondPod 4.2.41.

Same problem here with On Point. There's an advanced option in the podcast edit screen that seems like it's tailor made for this, to download an "alternative" ... But that doesn't work and it still downloads the images instead of the episodes.

Solution for On Point

I'm going to keep this short, because my post from the other day appears to have been lost.

In brief, I've been having a similar / the same problem with the WBUR On Point podcast for the past few weeks. Specifically, Beyond Pod acts like it downloads episodes, but it never actually fetches any .mp3 files. Consequently, it complains on playback and asks me to open the episode (which doesn't exist) in an external player.

After some more testing, I've found a solution, at least for my particular issue:

• In Beyond Pod, tap the On Point subscription so you can see a list of its episodes
    • In the episode list, tap the three dots in the upper-right and tap Edit Feed
    • Tap Advanced Settings
    • For Preferred Episode Format, choose Use Alternative 1
    • Tap Save

Importantly, you need to stop Beyond Pod from running before proceeding. If I do the next steps within the same Beyond Pod session, it doesn't fix the problem.

(I opened the Android Recent Apps list and stopped Beyond Pod from there. I know this kind of thing varies between specific Android releases and customized vendor versions, so I'll leave it up to you as to the best way to stop a process on your device.)

Next:

• Start Beyond Pod again, and go back to the On Point episode list
    • For an individual episode that looks like it's been downloaded, tap the three dots to the right of that episode (not the three dots at the top-right of the whole app) and tap Delete Episode
    • Tap OK to confirm
    • Tap Re-download

Now, the real episode should download, and you should be able to listen to it from within Beyond Pod.

Good luck; HTH.

ALL HAIL MANNION! The hero we need but dont deserve.

seriously this person comes along gives us a great workaround, and no one says thank you?

Thank you Mannion

Very good! This worked for the WBUR News feed as well. Thanks!

Thank you! I was having the same problem with Endless Thread, and it's working now after following your suggestion.

Even though we do have a workaround, those media elements are clearly marked with appropriate types, so I'm still amazed that BP has this bug at all...

Works amazing with Endless Thread, doesn't seem to be working with Modern Love.

I'm even more pissed now

I, too, am unable to play/download On Point podcast episodes. I've tried deleting the feed and resubscribing. I've checked all the feed options and everything looks good. I've been listening to On Point with BeyondPod for years but now am completely unable to (says "External Player Required").

BeyondPod V4.2.41

Just tried Podcast Go—it works with On Point.
    Last edited by DavidSalahi; 01-20-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Mannion! You are *the best*! Thank you *so* much This workaround worked perfectly for me for Endless Thread and Circle Round, so I'm going to have one mega happy 6 year old on my hands later this afternoon!
    Thanks so so much again! I'm now off to binge listen almost three months worth of Endless Thread!