Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Have unlock key but still getting ads injected before/after my podcasts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3

    Unhappy Have unlock key but still getting ads injected before/after my podcasts

    Hi, I have the Beyond Podcast with the unlock key installed on my S8+, but I'm getting a ton of local ads being injected into many of my podcasts.
    What can I do to fix this? I think it started happening within the last few months.
    They are for sure local ads being injected.

    I confirmed I have the unlock key installed.
    Here's an example of one I get with ads.
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/autolineafterhours/podcast

    When I play the link directly, there are no ads.
    https://api.spreaker.com/download/ep...94/aah_449.mp3

    Also getting local ads injected in this podcast.
    https://www.spreaker.com/show/2977992/episodes/feed

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Pretty sure that is something the podcast provider does, not BP.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BubiBalboa View Post
    Pretty sure that is something the podcast provider does, not BP.
    But if I follow the feed URL I don't get those ads. Would they treat the download differently through an app vs browser?
    One of the features with the Pro version is listed as "No Ads"

    Even when I emailed support they said...
    There are no ads for paid users. Those are disabled with the Unlock Key. Can you send urls of the feeds you are experiencing ads on?

    To which I provided the URLs above with no ads.
    Unfortunately I haven't heard back from them in quite a while. I guess I could try out another podcast app, but I may never return if it works there.

  4. #4
    There is a difference between downloading the source file and getting a file that was altered to deliver localized ads. Depending on your IP the provider will deliver files that contain "relevant" ads. This is purely location based. The first time I got German ads on an American podcast I was very confused. lol

    Spotify and co are working killing the RSS standard to deliver even more personalized ads in the future like you see on Google or Amazon.

    You should try it out, I'm 99% sure you will have the same ads. Or maybe some other players have a way to block these ads but I doubt it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    236
    https://blog.spreaker.com/introducin...aring-program/

    When you access the MP3 file directly it can't know anything about you to generate local advertisements to inject. It's the feed, not BeyondPod.

    Feel free to try another player though.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BubiBalboa View Post
    There is a difference between downloading the source file and getting a file that was altered to deliver localized ads. Depending on your IP the provider will deliver files that contain "relevant" ads. This is purely location based. The first time I got German ads on an American podcast I was very confused. lol

    Spotify and co are working killing the RSS standard to deliver even more personalized ads in the future like you see on Google or Amazon.

    You should try it out, I'm 99% sure you will have the same ads. Or maybe some other players have a way to block these ads but I doubt it.
    It would be nice if some player could get around it. It seems it would just have to just identify as a desktop browser when downloading.

    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    https://blog.spreaker.com/introducin...aring-program/
    When you access the MP3 file directly it can't know anything about you to generate local advertisements to inject. It's the feed, not BeyondPod.

    Feel free to try another player though.
    I'm pretty sure they can still get location via your computer's IP address. It would also know your browser and other details.

    So if we don't have the BeyondPod unlock key, what ads do people get? Are they the typical banner ads you see in apps? I guess I could uninstall the unlock key to see what it looks like.

    I did suspect the podcast provider, but when the BeyondPod support said "there's no ads for paid users" and didn't say we don't do ad injection, that gave me the impression it could be coming from the app.

  7. #7
    Yesterday I got an audio ad at the very beginning of TTBOOK (To The Best Of Our Knowledge), a podcast version of a radio show from Wisconson Public Radio and PRX. This show has always been ad free. I live in California (SF Bay area) and the ad that I heard was for a regional grocery store chain, New Leaf. This is a puzzling experience - was the ad inserted when I downloaded or was it inserted when I played the podcast? The feed comes from http://feeds.feedburner.com/ttbook

  8. #8
    They know your IP address and therefor your very rough location. They insert the ad before you download the file. I don't think there is much the players can do about that. Maybe it's possible to automatically detect the insertion points and skip the ad that way but you will download it either way.

    A possible way not to get ads is by using a VPN and choosing a part of the world where they don't have sold any ads. That's very hit and miss though, not reliable at all. They could insert generic ads just because.

    I listen to a lot of BBC podcasts but reside in Germany so the BBC let me know a way to find out what Brexit will mean for expats in Germany. lol
    Last edited by BubiBalboa; 04-10-2019 at 10:52 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    859
    Or, you can use their own RSS feed To The Best Of Our Knowledge so that feedburner can't stuff in ads! Of course, NPR has their own "ads" but they're easier to stomach.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for information.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •