Thread: Play History

Play History

Usecase
    I listen to a lot of podcasts and sometimes I want to go back to try to find something (usually half remembered) that I have listened to in the past. If there were a log of what I had listened to it would be very helpful in finding things.

Specific Application
    Ultimately, I don't really want to search in the app, but would like to dump this into another program (Dayone) so export as a JSON object or some other text format would be ideal. I know you could never support every endpoint usage, but if the log could be sent via email, it could then be shipped off to wherever and support many different use cases.

Schema
    My dream object would look something like:

Code:
    {
      "2019-01-01": [
        {
          "episode_name": string,
          "episode_duration": number,
          "time_played": number,
          "play_start": number,
          "feed_link": string,
          "description": string
        },
      ]
    }

Wouldn't it be easier to fetch the RSS? Firefox has a very nice RSS display format. If the feed drops old episodes (which would make it hard to listen to them again), write something simple that downloads the RSS and merges the XML, preserving the old entries.
    Downloading the RSS and dumping it as JSON can't be *that* hard. A page or so of python, *maybe*.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to fetch the RSS? Firefox has a very nice RSS display format. If the feed drops old episodes (which would make it hard to listen to them again), write something simple that downloads the RSS and merges the XML, preserving the old entries.
    Downloading the RSS and dumping it as JSON can't be *that* hard. A page or so of python, *maybe*.
    I can parse the RSS directly without conversion, but this would only get me the feed of the individual podcast without any kind of listen history wouldn't it?

After some more thinking, I could back my way into what I'm looking for if sharing of playlists were possible. I would remove the clear after played flag then I'd have a day's worth of listen history. It wouldn't be as nicely automated, but maybe other people mind find it useful to share playlists as well as individual episodes.