Thread: Episodes disappearing when manually downloading (also app hanging on 'loading feeds')

Angry Episodes disappearing when manually downloading (also app hanging on 'loading feeds')

Hey there! Long time BP user for at least 5 or 6 years, I've always loved it. For the past year or so I was using it a bit less because I initially had some problems importing paid feeds from Stitcher Premium, but I recently decided to buckle down and figure it out, which I did, and it was great getting back to using BP full time. At first.

Then I noticed that the app would frequently just hang on saying "Loading Feeds" when I would try to press play on the widget. I also have it set to keep the 'paused' notification, and I noticed the same thing would happen with that as well if it had been paused for a while. Then I noticed that even my automatic updates/downloads didn't even seem to be happening. When I'd wake up in the morning, I'd just see the same "Loading Feeds" notification with the arrows in a circle, and the update hadn't happened.

This looked to be to be something like the app getting shut down in the background or being prevented from running on it's own or something, so I dove into my phone's settings and absolutely made sure that it wasn't being restricted or metered by any battery-saving thing or anything that would prevent it from running in the background or whatever. Still, no change. It seems like whenever it tries to do anything when the app isn't already initialized, it'll just say "Loading Feeds". Whenever that happened I had to bring up the app info page and Force Close it.

Far from ideal obviously but as long as I remembered to just go into the app normally before hitting play, I would at least not have to Force Close all the time. Although inevitably I'd occasionally forget and have to do it, which included one time where I accidentally hit Uninstall instead, and it was just when I had imported all my feeds from Stitcher Premium and gone through the laborious process of marking all the episodes I'd heard and gotten everything set up how I wanted it, but I hadn't backed it up in the app and I had to do it all over again. My fault on that one I guess, but boy was that incredibly frustrating. Also that didn't take care of the fact that automatic downloads were still just hanging on "Loading Feeds" too.

So that's still an issue.

But my biggest problem was when I would then go to manually download the stuff that didn't automatically update as it should have: I would frequently hit the "Download" button in a feed, and when the download finished, the episode would immediately grey out and disappear as if I had heard and deleted it. Actually sometimes the download progress circle (the one right on the episode in the feed that comes up around the download button) would fill up properly, and sometimes it wouldn't, somtimes I'd have to hit it several times, but it kept just disappearing. Sometimes it seems to have something to do with how many episodes I try to get, but I've also seen it happen when I just try to get one.

Anyway, I don't know what was happening, both in the app, and with the actual file that it downloaded. It would disappear from the feed list even though sometimes the dl progress bar in my notifications would still be going. I still haven't looked in the folders yet to see if maybe there's a bunch of duplicates or whatever. Sometimes I'd have to retry it several times in order for it to actually download and appear in the list as downloaded and not heard. That would usually also mess up the title displayed for that episode for some reason too.

Not only is that super frustrating and annoying, the thing that really drove me crazy is that I don't have any idea that this behavior is limited to manual downloads only. For all I know, any time I try to update everything, it's doing the same thing and automatically blipping out the most recently downloaded things as if I've heard them and they're getting lost and skipped without me ever having any idea. It's one thing if I'm doing it manually and I can see that it's failed and done this, but if it's happening in the background and skipping ones without me knowing that'd be terrible. I don't even know whether that's actually happening, but it was enough for me to stop using the app altogether anyway, so whatever.

I took a short video demonstrating this happening, and you also can see towards the end as well I also show the other behavior of hanging on the "Loading Feeds" when I try to play from the widget after force closing the app.

Anyway, no real hard feelings. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of the app over the years. Podcast Addict is doing me real well in the meantime now. Just wanted to let you guys know about these problems I'm having. This is on a Pixel 2 XL running Pie.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFyfO-mg1tQ

Thanks!
    Last edited by Caser; 03-26-2019 at 11:38 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Caser View Post
    Hey there! Long time BP user for at least 5 or 6 years, I've always loved it. For the past year or so I was using it a bit less because I initially had some problems importing paid feeds from Stitcher Premium, but I recently decided to buckle down and figure it out, which I did, and it was great getting back to using BP full time. At first.

Then I noticed that the app would frequently just hang on saying "Loading Feeds" when I would try to press play on the widget. I also have it set to keep the 'paused' notification, and I noticed the same thing would happen with that as well if it had been paused for a while. Then I noticed that even my automatic updates/downloads didn't even seem to be happening. When I'd wake up in the morning, I'd just see the same "Loading Feeds" notification with the arrows in a circle, and the update hadn't happened.

This looked to be to be something like the app getting shut down in the background or being prevented from running on it's own or something, so I dove into my phone's settings and absolutely made sure that it wasn't being restricted or metered by any battery-saving thing or anything that would prevent it from running in the background or whatever. Still, no change. It seems like whenever it tries to do anything when the app isn't already initialized, it'll just say "Loading Feeds". Whenever that happened I had to bring up the app info page and Force Close it.

Far from ideal obviously but as long as I remembered to just go into the app normally before hitting play, I would at least not have to Force Close all the time. Although inevitably I'd occasionally forget and have to do it, which included one time where I accidentally hit Uninstall instead, and it was just when I had imported all my feeds from Stitcher Premium and gone through the laborious process of marking all the episodes I'd heard and gotten everything set up how I wanted it, but I hadn't backed it up in the app and I had to do it all over again. My fault on that one I guess, but boy was that incredibly frustrating. Also that didn't take care of the fact that automatic downloads were still just hanging on "Loading Feeds" too.

So that's still an issue.

But my biggest problem was when I would then go to manually download the stuff that didn't automatically update as it should have: I would frequently hit the "Download" button in a feed, and when the download finished, the episode would immediately grey out and disappear as if I had heard and deleted it. Actually sometimes the download progress circle (the one right on the episode in the feed that comes up around the download button) would fill up properly, and sometimes it wouldn't, somtimes I'd have to hit it several times, but it kept just disappearing. Sometimes it seems to have something to do with how many episodes I try to get, but I've also seen it happen when I just try to get one.

Anyway, I don't know what was happening, both in the app, and with the actual file that it downloaded. It would disappear from the feed list even though sometimes the dl progress bar in my notifications would still be going. I still haven't looked in the folders yet to see if maybe there's a bunch of duplicates or whatever. Sometimes I'd have to retry it several times in order for it to actually download and appear in the list as downloaded and not heard. That would usually also mess up the title displayed for that episode for some reason too.

Not only is that super frustrating and annoying, the thing that really drove me crazy is that I don't have any idea that this behavior is limited to manual downloads only. For all I know, any time I try to update everything, it's doing the same thing and automatically blipping out the most recently downloaded things as if I've heard them and they're getting lost and skipped without me ever having any idea. It's one thing if I'm doing it manually and I can see that it's failed and done this, but if it's happening in the background and skipping ones without me knowing that'd be terrible. I don't even know whether that's actually happening, but it was enough for me to stop using the app altogether anyway, so whatever.

I took a short video demonstrating this happening, and you also can see towards the end as well I also show the other behavior of hanging on the "Loading Feeds" when I try to play from the widget after force closing the app.

Anyway, no real hard feelings. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of the app over the years. Podcast Addict is doing me real well in the meantime now. Just wanted to let you guys know about these problems I'm having. This is on a Pixel 2 XL running Pie.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFyfO-mg1tQ

Thanks!
    Hello,

Yes, we are aware of the loading feeds hanging as well as widget/playing issues. Development is currently working on multiple bug fixes, including ones for these issues. At this time, I do not have an estimated date from them of when to expect a new release. Once that information is available, it will be shared here on the BP Forum.

We will take a look into the greying out/marked played of episodes after download.

Another option is to use youtube downloader online, read more in https://en.savefrom.net/1-how-to-dow...youtube-video/ or wait the new realease, Regards